Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your earliest current affairs/news memory?

Options

Comments

monasterevin siege

I was stopped in a car for that! Not that I remember it, but my parents were travelling down from Dublin to Kerry with a load of kids hanging out of the car, and yours truly was the 18 month old baby of the family who didn't get the significance of events...

I have a vague recollection of Brian Keenan being released from captivity. That was 1990 so I was only 5. Not sure how I remember it tbh, but I do!

Yeah, I think Haughey hyjacked that too (3 years after hyjacking Stephen Roche's Tour de France victory).

• Registered Users Posts: 42,080 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

The death of Princess Diana when I was 7. I remember being in a supermarket with my mother and someone was talking to her about it and then I asked her innocently: "Will that be on the news do you think?". Quite unaware of the goings on in the world as a 7-year-old I was haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭anewme

1975. Dr Tiede Herrema was kidnapped by the IRA (Eddie Gallagher & Marian Coyle), I remember being enthralled by it and watching the RTE news anxiously. I as terrified of the IRA.

I was in High Infants in school and we used to do a thing daily called "our news" where you had to write something (3 lines of childish scrawl) and draw a picture.

It was stuff like "my sister got a new Goldfish" " we went to visit our Granny'" I Remember putting updates about Dr. Herrema until he was liberated (following a siege after 36 days from Monasterevin of all places)

The teacher gave me a letter to bring home for my mum requesting she came to see her. She told my mum she was astounded a 5 year old had done this(it was in class so no adult help) how could a five year old even spell Dr. Tiede Herrema.

On the 40th Anniversary in 2015 I read an update on Dr Herema, who I was happy to read has had a long happy life together with his wife Elisabeth. (He is now nearly 96) He said he survived by keeping his captors calm and using survival skills honed in the second world war.

uch wrote: »
    I remember watching the BIG Match when this happened, we didn't see many live matches at the time, but because this was a big game it was televised in Ireland, when it started I thought it was just a pitch invasion, how wrong I was, ended up watching bodies being put in ambulances, fuking shocking viewing, the kids with their bodies pressed against the fence, and the next morning, the sun blaming the fans, now I'm a long way from an english football supporter but this was very sad

Hillsborough was not the first news story I remember...but possibly the first I had to try not to cry to...and it still upsets me as one of the worst news stories I remember. It was the whole way it unfolded in front of our eyes...as Heysel did, but in a much quieter and disbelieving way...how could so many people die silently while tv cameras rolled and we all waited impatiently for a football match to start...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Whiddy Island explosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Jack Lynch resigning as leader of FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

The first moon landing (unless that was a conspiracy):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

You've hit the nail on the head Conor, Heysel didn't have any English dead afaik, so it wasn't news worthy to them, but we got it all in Ireland, but I think Hillborough brought it home to them, what football tragedies were

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

You are all really old, or really young.

Except for the person who said Challenger, and me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The earliest I can remember is the massacre and displacement of the Kurds by Salam Hussein around 1991. Never heard the term refugee before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

You are all really old, or really young.

Except for the person who said Challenger, and me.

I was working on a site when Challenger happened, so I'm not young

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The Zeebrugge ferry capsizing.

Dennis Taylor and his massive glasses playing that really long snooker match against that frosty-faced red lad, and beating him to win some "world" championship. I never stayed up as late as that before (we had no tv growing up so we were stuck in a relative's house as my auld lad wanted to watch it and it just went on and on.)

"Hurricane Higgins" threatening to shoot Dennis Taylor for something or other (probably for smiling all the time) and "Tornado Thornton" just for having a catchy name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

John Cravens news round + Reginald Bosanquet & Sandi Gall on ITN News @ Ten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I also remember the 1976 bank strike and petrol shortages in early 70s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Warrenpoint / Mountbatten

John Lennon shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Last of the U.S troops leaving Vietnam in 1973. Think my da would have been having one of his rants makes it stick in my mind.

He'd be giving you a good telling off, it was 75

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I also remember the 1976 bank strike and petrol shortages in early 70s
    There was one year in the seventies, I recall, when the petrol tanker drivers went on strike. I was on holiday in Cork and was given petrol coupons to use.
    My cousin's husband told me, "You don't need them, go to the garage by the bridge in town."
    "All the garages in town are shut today, " I replied.
    "No", he said, "go to the house behind the garage and ask them".
    "For what", says I.
    "PETROL!"
    I did and got a full tank, no problem.
    The rest of my holiday driving was like that - never used the coupons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭130Kph

anewme wrote: »
    1975. Dr Tiede Herrema was kidnapped by the IRA (Eddie Gallagher & Marian Coyle), I remember being enthralled by it and watching the RTE news anxiously.
    Same here, especially the siege in Monastrevin.

It was probably due to the adults around being so enthralled by it that imprinted it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭anewme

130Kph wrote: »
    Same here, especially the siege in Monastrevin.

It was probably due to the adults around being so enthralled by it that imprinted it.

Remember it like yesterday, he was a very brave man, really strong character , now in his late 90's. The interview with the couple in 2015 said they would put couples 50 years younger than them to shame.

I've still a keen interest in Irish politics in the 1970's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Same as a few others- omagh bombing.
    I was sweeping the floor at home to try and put my mother into good humour after a very poor Parent teacher meeting that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The Droppin' Well pub bombing, a young woman, who was our neighbor, died in it. She left behind a little baby. :(

Carmen Proetta! There's a name from yesteryear. The whole Milltown Cemetery thing. Extraordinary television. And then Michael Stone screaming in the revolving door in Stormont as security wrestled with him.

Also, John Stalker coming on the Late Late Show to a standing ovation shortly after it became clear he was framed. Hugely poignant stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Jamie Bulger being killed and the OJ trial. Being 11 was rough!

I was the same age as Jamie Bulger's murderers and just could not comprehend their actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

Hillsborough Disaster and Mandela being released.

I would have been 5/6 at the time and didn't understand either event properly.

I just remember Hillsborough was probably the first time I remember being scared as a child.

I didn't know anything about Mandela either but just knew it was big news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Challenger disaster, I remember drawing a picture of it. I was 9. Can't really remember anything stand out from earlier although the troubles were there. Dessie o'hare also stands out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

I remember the space shuttle challenger explosion in 86 .I just remember it because I couldn't believe rockets were real and my dad watching it on telly showing me and being awe struck with it all.
    And I vividly remember that news presenter Trevor Mcdonald and the bell off the clock on the telly for the news at ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The IRA hungar strikes and The Stardust fire.

Also Shergar being kidnapped

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

1980 olympics

Advertisement