Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sounds that make you cringe

• 18-11-2016 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Saccular acoustic sensitivity is a measurement of the ear's affectability to sound.
    Many of us have negative physical and mental stimulation to certain sounds.

I suffer from it mainly when people are scraping ceramic bowls/plates which gives me goosebumps and chills.

Here are a list of some of 'the most horrible sounds' conducted in an online study.

Polystyrene
    Vomiting
    Microphone feedback
    Multiple babies crying
    Scrape of train wheels
    Soap opera argument
    Coughing
    Tasmanian devil :cool:
    Nails on a chalkboard
    Apple munch
    Electrical throb

Does anyone else suffer from certain noises that give you mental or physical effects?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Rihanna.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I imagine hearing your parents riding is gonna feature pretty highly here for some folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Noisy eaters, people eating with their mouths open whilst smacking their lips!
    Scraping out a saucepan with a metal spoon (instead of a wooden spoon).
    Nails being dragged down a blackboard. People getting sick (vomiting) . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭hoodini89

I get shivers from the feel of polystyrene alright. Oh, and the fights they do be having on EastEnders gives me negative effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Cats looking for a ride.

At night in the dark, it sounds like a zombie baby in the back garden looking for revenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

Nails down a blackboard or chalk being dragged down it as well makes me shiver even at that thought of it

I never quite understood why but the sound of people pouring liquids into a cup or glass irks me. Waves of annoyance and frustration and directionless anger. Specifically the noise of tea or coffee from a pot into a mug.

Never understood why. I just notice it - ignore it - and move on. But always wondered why it gets on my wick so deeply. I just assume I have some association built up with it that triggers something in me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

People eating/chewing, repetitive noises, snoring, screaming kids and babies, dogs barking, Dublin accents - all of them, English accents, Newry/Monaghan accents, knifes and forks scraping plates, alarm clocks, house alarms, motorbikes, car horns, sirens, people that talk really loud, people getting sick, music played in Tesco, lip smacking, people kissing...I could go on all day so ill stop now.

Edit ^^ pouring liquid *shivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

People eating
    Slurping
    Chomping on an apple
    People smacking their lips as they eat
    The sound of the word moist
    People who won't blow their nose and are just snuffly
    Shrill screams
    Things pouring into cups or glasses
    Sudden unexpected noises make me want to knock someone out I hate it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

People cracking bones in their fingers/necks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Fork scraping on a plate:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

The really high pitched hum that comes from old CRT TVs. You normally just notice it when it's turned on and no sounds has come out yet or when it's muted.

Thankfully there's not too many of them around any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Apple munch

Does anyone else suffer from certain noises that give you mental or physical effects?

can't imagine eating an apple without the crunch!

The alarm clock in the morning.

The sound of people talking absolute shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Air con in the car really annoys me..I turn it down as sit as soon possible.People who leave the window slightly down in the car all the time and that continuous sound it makes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The sound of a snail's shell cracking when you step on it accidentally while walking in the dark at night :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

brushing teeth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Cork accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Sudden unexpected noises make me want to knock someone out I hate it

Oh yes...I hate those. A wan here in the office dropped a hole puncher on the floor yesterday. My instinctive impulse was to punch her in the hole...thankfully I managed to curb my urges.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

My phone ringing. Especially when I'm in bed on a day off :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Hard to explain the first one ... cleaning furniture with a cloth to get a stain out.

Scraping ice in a freezer (I'm ok with clearing the windscreen).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

Fork scraping on a plate

This is the only sound I hate but it drives me demented for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Teeth grinding together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If there is one thing that gets me its the sound of a performer, band, busker or gig where someone is out of tune, be it vocals or guitar it doesn't sit well with me. Also I remember a scene from a film where there was this fight in a shipyard and one fellah loses his balance and tries to cling on to the side of a ship but he can't get a grip and his nails scrape the side of the ship as he falls down (I suppose like nails on a blackboard.) Also travelling on a ferry, I can never sleep as there is always a constant hum or vibration through the whole vessel, much like if you are living in a place near lots of heavy duty fans or air conditioning systems.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

If someone stands near me while licking the lid of a yogurt, I will instantly put them on my hate list

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

The noise/sensation of scratching those cards where the picture changes when you look at them from oa different angle. You know the ones. They've a weird scratchy texture.

It's ****ing awful.

Oh and the noise that certain rain jackets make of a certain material..same with tracksuit bottoms. Its' only one type of material ..but it bothers me greatly!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

The sound of your phone's alarm clock when somebody uses it as a ring tone.

Oh, the sound of someone running their hand along a latex balloon.

Fcuk that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

D4 accent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

I'd imagine people spitting would be up there for some people, not us country folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Brian Dobsons sex squeal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

People sighing... especially when you know its looking for attention!

Brian Dobsons sex squeal

Stop ridin' him then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Suitcase wheels on a pavement, especially if the person is walking in front of me at the same pace, turns me homicidal.

dd972 wrote: »
    Suitcase wheels on a pavement, especially if the person is walking in front of me at the same pace, turns me homicidal.

I get ya, I never understood why people take wheelie cases to music festivals but the sound of them on these man made walkways with a hangover was fcuking awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

When you burn the bollocks out of your breakfast and the smoke alarm won't stop wailing.

When you burn the bollocks out of your breakfast and the smoke alarm won't stop wailing.

Better upgrade that Standard Toaster to a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

People slurping and crunching the bejaysus out of their bowl of cereal. Crime usually committed by a family member that makes you want to throttle them.

People slurping and crunching the bejaysus out of their bowl of cereal. Crime usually committed by a family member that makes you want to throttle them.

What sort of sound is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

The noise of someone using a yard brush makes my skin crawl

The noise of my GF eating crunchy stuff really irritates me, it's like she's eating gravel.

The noise of dogs barking that live nearby infuriates me, it's like a yelp/cry/bark all in one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Anyone brushing a card board box with their hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

dd972 wrote: »

Especially at Dublin airport where they have that plastic flooring with the bumps, you'd feel like thumping one of them :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,240 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

sounds i cant stand, make my skin crawl

1. sound of people handling/breaking polystyrene
    2. markers squeaking on a chalk white board

theres probably a few others, but those 2 spring to my as being particularly awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Licking Ick makes me just go blahhh... Like when a dog is licking itself clean,.. Drives me nuts hard to describe now, and snots noises..Yuck yuck yuck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,126 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

the sound of people walking in flip flops. For some reason, it depresses me.

when someone clears their throat really REALLY loudly (and its often repeated!)

What sort of sound is that?

The subsequent blood-boiling sound having heard said cereal slurp/crunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

razorblunt wrote: »

Scraping ice in a freezer (I'm ok with clearing the windscreen).

Scraping ice out of the freezer, I even shivered when I read it!

The noise of most YouTuber's!

everlast75 wrote: »
    the sound of people walking in flip flops. For some reason, it depresses me.

when someone clears their throat really REALLY loudly (and its often repeated!)

One positive for summer being over is not hearing colleagues flip-flopping around the office. It's an irritating sound alright.

I was sitting on a flight from New York to Dublin once in front of an aul fella constantly clearing his throat very loudly. Made my flight very unpleasant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

The sound of Scutter hitting the pot in one big wallop on a monday morning

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

The sound of people cutting their nails with clippers.

The sound of rodents scrapping behind walls or ceilings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement