Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People cutting across ya..

• 03-01-2015 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭TheOtherBloke

Okay so im with a bunch of friends.. one was speaking and another talked across him.. to express an opinion. Now were discussing weather it irritates every one as much as this friend. Does it irritate you alot?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Okay so im with a bunch of friends.. one was speaking and another talked across him.. to express an opinion. Now were discussing weather it irritates every one as much as this friend. Does it irritate you alot?
    It's called the 'art of conversation' , adults do it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Horrible manners. I used to work with a guy that wouldn't let anyone finish a sentence without interrupting or talking over them. Incredibly irritating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Awful, some people lack the very basic of manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

Happens all the time with some of my friends. Its gotten to the point now that if they interrupt me at all I will just shout 'Shut the f*ck up' at them and they shut up quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭vr7

Irritate me-its bugs the hell outta me. Such an ignorant thing to do. Another thing i detest is trying to have a convo with a person who doesn't listen to whats being said and just offers their own irrelevant opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭berniepixie

I am guilty of it. Reason been, in-case I forget what I want to say :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭berniepixie

I am guilty of it. Reason being, in-case I forget what I want to say :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I once somehow managed to cut across my own senten....hey Pharrell Williams is on the....Oh my God is that cake?! I loveeee cake, especially when it's with a nice cup of....Jeesh I'm tired I should probably....zzzzz.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I have a habit of cutting across others, unintentionally. I have to keep apologising each time :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Trebor176 wrote: »
    I have a habit of cutting across others, unintentionally. I have to keep apologising each time :p
    Well in fairness, speaking when you mistakenly think someone has finished speaking isn't anywhere near as bad as just cutting across someone right in the middle of a sentence.

• Advertisement

That's great and all and I'mma let you finish but ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I find those who get most annoyed with it don't realise they themselves do it most. We're not interrupting you, we're continuing with the original conversation!

the_syco wrote: »
    I find those who get most annoyed with it don't realise they themselves do it most. We're not interrupting you, we're continuing with the original conversation!
    What about those who get annoyed by it noticing others being interrupted, not just themselves being interrupted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Yea this is a pet hate of mine; the worst is when you meet someone who will cut across you, to finish your own sentence - and then get it wrong.

So, what would take perhaps another second or two to finish saying, then takes far longer explain "ah, no, if you'd let me finish, I was going to say..." and then you have to repeat the whole sentence etc., and by the time you're done it's derailed your flow/train-of-thought - grr...

When someone is bad enough, to do it repeatedly during a conversation - even when you've had to point it out to them several times - just can't be arsed contributing further to the discussion at that point; it's really rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Cutting someone off with a quip or even if you accidentally didn't hear the story isn't too bad.

Worse is chatting to someone and you can tell by their body language that they're purposefully not listening to you but just waiting to chip in what they want to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

I think some people just enjoy talking too much they havn't a bull's clue what they're doing.

I meant to post on something about this actually but forgot. Neighbour called to the house a few days ago. I answered the door, was just about to close the door! Next thing in walks one of their kids. I nearly closed the door in their face lol.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOSH! Like a sandstorm. Not sure what age they are, mid-teens or so, but OH MY GODDDDDD! The kid never shut up talking the whole time they were there! It was un-real! they just never shut up! At all like! Not for a second. It was like my neighbour brought a hand-puppet to our house! :O Neighbour would talk about something. As soon as they finished their sentence, and waited for my parent's to reply / respond this matahari-kid would start talking. Nobody in my house could get a word in edgeways!!

Neighbour would start talking about something else, kid would join in, and that was it. Nobody else got a chance to speak! Was a waste of their time visiting hahaha! The 2 of them could have just talked in their house without going anywhere at all!

When they left, my parents' were looking around, going, did that really just happen?!? Was there people really here just now or was it something on the TV or something hahaha.

I think it's just that some families are really traditional chatting / in their mannerisms and cutting across people is just par for the course and they obviously don't view it as rude. Being "well-able-to-go" would be a way to describe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

^^

For someone complaining about people talking too much, you are some waffler yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

It's so Irish. And bugs the hell out of me. But I can't change it.

The Irish have this amazing ability to talk when someone else Is talking but still hear what they are saying. It's freakish to observe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

My Sister does this to me all the time. Now, if she does it, I'll cut across her with "BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!" as loud as I can. She gets pissy and I say, yeah, it's really annoying isn't it?

Almost as bad is two people trying to hold your attention seperately, talking at you. I can only have one conversation at a time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

TV personalities are prone to it too. Alan Hughes and Mark Cagney on tv3 are notorious for it. Answer the questions in 20 secs or less then next question regardless. Cagney starts shuffling and puffing if a guest is rabbitting on too long. Prime Time is another culprit. Vincent Browne is guilty of it too.
    I know politicians waffle on and shows have time constraints but it seems so unprofessional at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    It's so Irish. And bugs the hell out of me. But I can't change it.

It's hardly an Irish thing. A Canadian friend is a ****er for doing it. It is incredibly rude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I remember talking to two friends one night, and not only did one cut across the other, but she actually kept standing in front of the other girl to get her bit in. Then the first girl would push the other girl to one side and finish speaking. It was like talking to the Wu Tang Clan.

I have a mate who constantly cuts across me when i'm trying to speak, i just keep talking until i'm finished what i started saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I hate when people do this! My mam is the worst for it, so I just don't answer at all, I've even left the phone down and watched a bit of telly adding a "mmhhmm oh right, yeah?" every so often. Shes just keeps rambling on about nothing. She really doesn't need me, I'm just there so she doesn't look like a looney talking to herself.

Also I've noticed since having a child when someone asks you a question and you start to answer and you realise about four words in that no one is listening and everyone is just watching your toddler sitting or picking up fluff or standing or whatever. I've often just stopped at that point and noone has ever noticed.
    Makes me feel invisible :( Middle aged women are the worst for this, like why bother asking me a question at all!

Thinking about it, I've probably, over the course of ten years, stopped really talking at all other than online and noone has really noticed, they're so caught up in listening to their own voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I'm sorry to hear that.

At least people read what you say online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

It's always happening to me, especially with my family but also in work. I think I'm just too polite, a bit of a walkover, to make an issue of it usually. Although, sometimes I'd be trying to tell a story, and after been interrupted for the third time by a third family member, I'd have to make an issue of it. After seeing my frustration, they'd say "Okay, tell us now", so I'd get petty and say "Ye don't deserve[/] to hear it".

A lad I work with wrecks my head in a different way. He comes into my office for a chat, and half way through a story, his head would drop and he'd start texting. He just has a terrible attention span (and it's not just with me.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I do sometimes cut across people who ramble on incessantly when you can see the point they're planning to make a mile off and they're still lumbering towards it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Bad grammar irritates me.:pac:

Genealogy Forum Mod

I always leave a second or two for silence.

Silence irritates people who love to talk across you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Horrible manners. I used to work with a guy that wouldn't let anyone finish a sentence without interrupting or talking over them. Incredibly irritating.

One of the girls is like that in work. Always butting in and then you never know when to resume what you were saying. It makes me feel so awkward.

Bad manners is what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

How else is one supposed to educate people if one doesn't cut across their moronic waffling .

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Betty Bloggs

I always leave a second or two for silence.

Silence irritates people who love to talk across you.

I usually will stop speaking very abruptly when someone cuts across me, let them carry on waffling, then when they've finally stopped talking, I purposely stay absolutely quiet and looking at them for a few seconds then when they are looking at me expectantly waiting for me to contribute or reply again I wait before saying, "oh are you done? I didn't want to cut across you" before I will reply to them again.

It's probably some form of passive aggressiveness but I think it gets the point across that they were being rude without causing an argument.

Sometimes though I will just say "will you let me finish!" if it's something very important I need to say, or else I will become a bit rude myself and make it appear that I didn't pay the slightest bit of attention to whatever the person who cut across me said. I'll change the subject or walk away and start doing something else either and make it obvious I'm not arsed listening to them anymore.

I'd only be like this with people who constantly and intentionally cut across people. I wouldn't really be annoyed if it just happened the odd time, I think everyone can be guilty of it sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

A relative of mine does this and it drives me nuts. It's as if he thinks that if he talks over you and talks loudly enough others won't get a chance to speak and if they do he'll be talking so loudly that he won't hear what they're saying, so can convince himself that he's right about whatever it is that he's on about. Nowadays I just tune him out and when he asks me for an opinion on what he said I just tell him that I stopped listening.

A small few people defending it I see. Stop cutting across others, folks! :)

A small few people defending it I see. Stop cutting across others, folks! :)

A wooden spoon for you Venus for stirring :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

My boss says "you're not listening to me, you're not listening to me" whilst waving his hand in the person's face.
    NO YOU'RE RIGHT WE'RE NOT EFFING LISTENING BECAUSE YOU WEREN'T EFFING TALKING!

• Advertisement
Advertisement