Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mail order brides

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Custardpi wrote: »
    Does anyone wonder why there's no mail order husbands? Surely there's some drop dead gorgeous Thai/Ukrainian men who'd be prepared to marry a slightly creepy Western woman & escape a life of poverty. Why is it only women who seem to do this?

Most western women in their 40/50/60's are okay with dating another man who's the same age. While a large amount of western men in this age group would not be happy to date women their age. That is why. Theres been many studies done on this on online dating sites, nearly all women want to date a man close to their age no matter what her age is, while nearly all men want to date a woman under 40 no matter what his age is.

Also, Ive heard of older western gay men getting mail order husbands. Seems to be just a much more of a male thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Saralee4 wrote: »
    It could be that the men seem to be looking for submissive woman (not all of them but this can be about a control thing) and the woman are looking for confident men who sweep them off their feet.

I have no doubt there are women in the mail order who are not submissive and in fact conning the men like the men con the women but that's what happens when you mix business with pleasure!

I just think especially when it's an older person with a significantly younger one then it's almost like "a few more years and he'll be dead" kind of mentality.

Oh I'd agree with the last bit in many cases. I think in most of these scenarios there's a large element of both parties using the other. I'd be slow to call it a con though (not to say more blatant scams don't happen). At some level anyone availing of this must realise that its not the sparkling wit and enticing looks of the tubby middle to old aged man or woman that attracted the empoverished foreign lover. To that extent any con is self perpetrated, perhaps by a desire to still feel young and desirable.

Equally once they transpose someone to their own country (which is what both parties want) you can't argue that the bulk of the power in the relationship potentially rests with the first world westerner so if it falls apart its a bit niaive of anyone to say they were duped and powerless.

ultimately in these scenarios it often looks like a business transaction and like many business transactions if it goes awry previously savvy investors quickly complain they were duped and clueless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

louis Theroux made an interesting program about this a while back, thats all I could find of it on youtube, don't miss it if the BBC show it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,321 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It could be that the men seem to be looking for submissive woman (not all of them but this can be about a control thing) and the woman are looking for confident men who sweep them off their feet.

I have no doubt there are women in the mail order who are not submissive and in fact conning the men like the men con the women but that's what happens when you mix business with pleasure!

I just think especially when it's an older person with a significantly younger one then it's almost like "a few more years and he'll be dead" kind of mentality.

A German film maker made a documentary film about this a while back. It's a big business in Germany. Middle aged women go on a "safari" trip to east Africa. Really they're brought to a spot where there's all these east African lads who are pretty much prostitutes. Think Thailand but with the genders switched. They pick up a "boyfriend" for a week and then go home.

Edit: It's a film not a documentary. It's a non scripted film which is why I got confused.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1403214/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise:_Love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Grayson wrote: »
    A German film maker made a documentary film about this a while back. It's a big business in Germany. Middle aged women go on a "safari" trip to east Africa. Really they're brought to a spot where there's all these east African lads who are pretty much prostitutes. Think Thailand but with the genders switched. They pick up a "boyfriend" for a week and then go home.

Edit: It's a film not a documentary. It's a non scripted film which is why I got confused.

Having been out in Kenya you just walk up to the one you fancy on the beach. Realistically anything one might want from about 14 upwards male or female is openly available. Saw it going on frequently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Having been out in Kenya you just walk up to the one you fancy on the beach. Realistically anything one might want from about 14 upwards male or female is openly available. Saw it going on frequently.

Ugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Grayson wrote: »

Saw it about a year ago. Pretty sad stuff - certainly not a Chrissie fav :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Ugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

My wife - acquired in the normal way by flowers, chocs, meals out and a huge dick - is quite into genealogy.

Looking way back to the Greats or Great Greats, it was quite common for the husband to die relatively young. Through war, accidents or poor health care.

The women always remarried quite quickly and you had to wonder why. Then you realised that there was very little social welfare or widows pensions - they had very little choice :(. Its not like that could pick up the graphic design business where they left it 15 years ago.

Why did you marry a woman with a huge dick?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

mfceiling wrote: »
    Why did you marry a woman with a huge dick?

Lookat - it just takes all sorts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Ugh!

Its the same in most places in the developing world. Puts two consenting adults marrying for money into context a bit IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,321 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Its the same in most places in the developing world. Puts two consenting adults marrying for money into context a bit IMHO.

If you stuck Julia Roberts and Richard Gere as the leads, you'd have a pretty good Rom Com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Can't be any worse than Irish women....

*Sits back and waits to be torn alive
    Aw, didn't happen. Hope you're not too disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Can you use parcel motel? Would hate for my gf to find out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Not to mention servicing their husbands in the bedroom.
    I presume that was what the poster meant unless the hubby is into wearing nappies ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

omerin wrote: »
    Top tip: Look out for the Adams apple before any purchase
    Pro tip: To prevent misunderstandings make it clear which sort of "mail" order bride you are looking for.

I think that I should change my username to threadkiller :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

So is this actually legal?

As in when you go to apply for the Irish visa for your new spouse, can you just openly say that they are mail-order? Or do they ended to create some sort of love story ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

So is this actually legal?

As in when you go to apply for the Irish visa for your new spouse, can you just openly say that they are mail-order? Or do they ended to create some sort of love story ?

Best to say you met in coppers

• Advertisement
Advertisement