Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is the best advice you have ever been given?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Undividual

busymum1 wrote: »
    Better to be on the land wishing you were out on the water than on the water wishing you were on land.

Titanic?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Undividual

Don't make eye-contact with anyone if you're eating a banana.

Hmm. My mother said only make eye-contact if you're eating a banana.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

xabi wrote: »
    Always rinse the bowl after eating weetabix. The bowl you used to eat it that is!

Yeah it dries like cement.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Story told at a pre-marriage course long ago.....
    Protestant clergyman gets married and heads to bedroom with new wife.
    Clergyman kneels beside bed and prays 'Dear Lord, give me strength and guidance.'
    Wife in bed replies 'Lord give him the strength, I'll take care of the guidance.'

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

Undividual wrote: »
    Titanic?

Not exactly what they had it mind. 😠More like if conditions look dodgy dont go out on the ocean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

upinsmoke wrote: »
    What?

So if you cut the fat off your steak because you wouldn’t eat that, then don’t give it to the fuggin’ dog either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

it is better be left on the shelf than the wrong cop board

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Better to be looking at it than looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Better to be looking at it than looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭areu4real?

The most solid parenting advice I got:

Don't tell a kid what not to do, tell them what TO do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

redcup342 wrote: »
    Keep your mouth shut

And never rat on your friends.

https://youtu.be/V5Mfs44MhYM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I am not sure if it was ever said to me but it’s the best advice I can give to people based on everything I have learned so far. First ‘fake it until you make it’. Don’t let anything pass you by because you think you can’t do it. Grab everything and learn fast.

Second is no matter how close you are to someone be it a firend or lover don’t allow your happiness to be dictated solely by their actions. People will invariably let you down so expect it. Sounds callous but it’s something I have learned the hard way. It doesn’t mean you have to be an island or not give 100% to friends or partners but make sure you will be happy alone and not relying on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

Grow the f**k up

What was that in reference to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭xabi

Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're always right. - Henry Ford

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

"You are Lisa Simpson"

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

Better to say there you are than where are you!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Have it yourself or do without!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

hate this one

nobody ever says it to a bereaved person or a cancer victim.

Its bull**** as its not advice, its someone's way of saying 'get over it and quit cryng'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

“You know," said Arthur, "it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."

"Why, what did she tell you?"

"I don't know, I didn't listen.”

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Advertisement