Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Smoker? You're Fired!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

I'm sure the people taking the extra 15 mins will be happy to have those 15 mins deducted from their wages though right?

Yes all 2 euros of it. Life's too short, honestly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I know right? Life is too short, have another smoke buddy...
    Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Yes all 2 euros of it. Life's too short, honestly.

I know right? Life is too short, have another smoke buddy...

I don't smoke 🀣 I just don't see the fuss. I work a 12 hour a day job, yeah I get annoyed with the lazy lads who can't be bothered but I wouldn't be on here moaning about it and a smoke, aw stop, if they're working hard outside of that who cares? Stop counting the minutes.

The next time you're waiting in A&E screaming to be admitted, remember to calm down when you're left waiting. Joe on the admissions desk has just popped out for a quick 15 mins smoke break. You don't mind bleeding out there for a few mins right? Stop counting the mins buddy.

While I am being facetious, those 15 mins can have a serious impact on other people. Be it your colleagues, your team or the company who employs you.
    I don't smoke �� I just don't see the fuss. I work a 12 hour a day job, yeah I get annoyed with the lazy lads who can't be bothered but I wouldn't be on here moaning about it and a smoke, aw stop, if they're working hard outside of that who cares? Stop counting the minutes.

The next time you're waiting in A&E screaming to be admitted, remember to calm down when you're left waiting. Joe on the admissions desk has just popped out for a quick 15 mins smoke break. You don't mind bleeding out there for a few mins right? Stop counting the mins buddy.

Ha ha ha, this is the funniest thing I've ever read. Cheers buddy. You're a fruit loop. Joe won't take his smoke break when he's the only man on the desk because we're talking about people doing their jobs first, and then having an extra 15 mins a day.

Tbh, I blame the big call centres that regulate breaks for all this madness. Work a job we're your break isn't regulated and you'll soon calm down. I don't even know how you got that idea in your head.

• Advertisement

While I am being facetious, those 15 mins can have a serious impact on other people. Be your colleagues, your team or the company who employs you.

I am not talking about everyone just taking 15 mins extra for the sake of it, likely these people we are alluding to don't take half the time most people think they do. And again, they might actually work damn hard in between while someone else daydreams for an hour. It annoys me more seeing someone "working" and really just doing nothing. Give me the person who works hard and has an extra smoke break over the lazy person who sneers at the others taking a break.

Bit of humour always helps.

So based on what you've said, it really depends on what industry you work in, the job you work and whether you work with others? Or perhaps it's only if you work long hours, then it's acceptable?

That security guard standing in the lobby of the A&E will be mighty pissed at Joe again for leaving him to deal with all the (very calm) A&E patients waiting to be admitted.

Joe works very hard btw.
    Ha ha ha, this is the funniest thing I've ever read. Cheers buddy. You're a fruit loop. Joe won't take his smoke break when he's the only man on the desk because we're talking about people doing their jobs first, and then having an extra 15 mins a day.

Tbh, I blame the big call centres that regulate breaks for all this madness. Work a job we're your break isn't regulated and you'll soon calm down. I don't even know how you got that idea in your head.

Now you're bringing productivity into the equation.

Joe works hard, so it's 'ok' for him to take his additional 15 mins while poor aul' Mary is a lazy so and so, so she's not allowed take her 15 mins smoke break. Rules are rules after all...
    I am not talking about everyone just taking 15 mins extra for the sake of it, likely these people we are alluding to don't take half the time most people think they do. And again, they might actually work damn hard in between while someone else daydreams for an hour. It annoys me more seeing someone "working" and really just doing nothing. Give me the person who works hard and has an extra smoke break over the lazy person who sneers at the others taking a break.

Anyway Jim, buddy, t'is late and our discussion could go on for a while, so I'll bow out now.

Have a think about the impact of those 15 mins when you've a handful of employees, right up to multinationals with thousands of employees. Or a small business struggling to survive. Why that wage increase didn't materialise... etc

Those 15 mins could have a serious impact on you, your colleagues, or your clients. I think it's pretty reasonable and understandable that people might moan about it?

Now you're bringing productivity into the equation.

Joe works hard, so it's 'ok' for him to take his additional 15 mins while poor aul' Mary is a lazy so and so, so she's not allowed take her 15 mins smoke break. Rules are rules after all...

Absolutely.

• Advertisement

Anyway Jim, buddy, t'is late and our discussion could go on for a while, so I'll bow out now.

Have a think about the impact of those 15 mins when you've a handful of employees, right up to multinationals with thousands of employees. Or a small business struggling to survive. Why that wage increase didn't materialise... etc

Those 15 mins could have a serious impact on you, your colleagues, or your clients. I think it's pretty reasonable and understandable that people might moan about it?

We are all too precious. I don't think it's that reasonable. Not commenting again, as clearly we'll get no where.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,874 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Tomw86 wrote: »
    Yes, I've often witnessed it in several different companies - a coffee/tea around 11, maybe another 3.

It used to be a lot more common, but probably less so now with people trying to cut down on caffeine intake, similar to smokers with nicotine.

Thing is you can have your tea or coffee at your desk, or in an adjacent break room thus not taking the piss like the smokers who need 5 mins of traveling time to get to where they can smoke, procuring the coffee, and you are unlikely to be drinking four or five cups a day, the people I’ve worked with are tops one in the morning and one in the afternoon with maybe one on break.

Advertisement