Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attenborough scaremongering?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

kneemos wrote:
    I was referring to nature programmes always blaming everything on climate change,even when there is evidence to the contrary.

They don't blame everything on climate change. Deforestation is mentioned quite often, humun behaviour. Single use plastics. However climate change is despite the wishes of deniers the single biggest threat to the planet at the present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The planet will be here long after the human race is gone.

You're right. If we're going down, we're taking the planet with us. Crack its core!!!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Slattsy wrote: »
    Regardless, he was great in Jurassic Park.

Ah here, I know he's old but referring to him as being a dinosaur is a bit excessive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

We get it. There's an unpredictable element, a margin of error... but no it's not that! It's chaos theory, so all is lost! Nothing is knowable! Throw up your hands and abandon all efforts to control the uncontrollable! Nobody understands this like I, the prophet of chaos, who read about it in New Scientist in 1996.

I don't know, where are you going with this? Where does citing chaos theory actually get anyone?

Well, it does invite pendants to point out that you stating "climate also called chaos theory" is wildly inaccurate. Climate is a chaotic system, but not the only one. Also climate being chaotic does not mean it cannot be modeled, because modelling chaos is the point of chaos theory.

Do you work in the area by any chance?

I find that pendants are very good at pointing out things, or shall we say, shining a light on things. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I was only thinking today I remember being in primary school (mid 80's) there was all this talk of "acid rain". Whatever happened to that?

The interest in this was mainly because coal fired power stations in the UK used to pollute the forests of Norway, Sweden, Finland. Coal was phased out and so called scrubbers (FGDs) were retrofitted to existing stations. This massively reduced the acid pollution drifting on the westerly air over Scandinavia. Acid rain is still an issue in parts of Eastern Europe/Russia and the north east USA (the black triangle)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

MrFresh wrote: »
    A bit of balance? Like "Whales are bastards. Who needs em anyway?"

Actually the killer ones are right bastards.
    Don't let that fooker Willie fool ya. ;)

The likes of humpbacks, sperm, etc seem pretty nice.

Mad Muffin is right in certain things.
    You have campaigners and celebrities lecturing people about the environment whilst at the same time jetting around the world, hawking (endorsing) all types of consumer shyte for a kickback.

One of the big problems is consumption in the Western world, but the laugh is a lot of the ones always on about climate change and environment are queuing to get the latest iPhone, built in a sweat shop factory in China fed with dirty coal fire powerstation and then shipped around the world.

The same clowns will be buying exotic shrink wrapped fruit in M&S that has been been shipped around the world.

IMHO one of the problems is the very ones that care most about the environment are also the ones that give a sh** about people.
    And population growth is huge part of issue.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Slattsy wrote: »
    Regardless, he was great in Jurassic Park.

One of the best documentries I’ve seen. Much better than the blue planet one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

When the world is truly f**ked and beyond the point of no return, what value do you think money will have?

And as that empty crisp packet rolled along the plain, a solo Apache wiped a tear from his eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

kneemos wrote: »
    I was referring to nature programmes always blaming everything on climate change,even when there is evidence to the contrary.

No problem with climate change, it's the hysteria,exaggeration and lies that do the cause no good.
    How do you know what's hysteria, exaggeration and lies? Not wanting to face up to it doesn't mean it's untrue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Must be a lot of examples of this, care to provide any in particular?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Must be a lot of examples of this, care to provide any in particular?

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

No problem with climate change, it's the hysteria,exaggeration and lies that do the cause no good.
    How do you know what's hysteria, exaggeration and lies? Not wanting to face up to it doesn't mean it's untrue.
    He watched a 10 minute YouTube video and now knows more than scientists and experts.

Sure why would you need experts when a former accountant can tell you otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Got a reply from David. He found it quite amusing and took most of the posts in good spirit. He says there is no scaremongering: even he was surprised at the rate of change in the earth's climate and the accelerated affects on the life of the planet. As long as his efforts spark some conversation on the matter, he's going to keep at it as long as his health allows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

However climate change is despite the wishes of deniers the single biggest threat to the planet at the present.

Possible you are correct, and we still don't know how much can be attributed to humans. It could be 10%, 90% or somewhere in between.

Even not knowing this, there is still huge benifit to use as much green, renewable and recyclable services and power as possible.

If we can effectively harness power from the sun, wind, sea, earth, and use paper straws instead of plastics then it is the right thing to do.

However the single biggest treat??

Maybe it's bee population?
    Water supply contamination?
    Cyber/nuclear warfare?
    Ebola or something similar?

Whatever its going to be I think it better to promote a better way of living, rather than lecture and tax ordinary citizens while the rich have a significantly larger carbon footprints than any of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Your dog has a bigger carbon footprint than your car.

I do wonder what the people of the Maldives and pacific islands think as the islands around submerge under water due to rising sea levels.

• Site Banned Posts: 73 ✭✭Jimmy_oc1998

I do wonder what the people of the Maldives and pacific islands think as the islands around submerge under water due to rising sea levels.

That would eventually happen with or without humans on the planet.

Just like one day Galway will erode away.

That would eventually happen with or without humans on the planet.

Just like one day Galway will erode away.
    Nope.
    The sea levels are rising I think its fair to say that I'm going to trust experts over well non experts on the complex reasons why .
    It's happening and no amount of 10 minute YouTube videos will convince reality otherwise.

• Advertisement

Nope.
    The sea levels are rising I think its fair to say that I'm going to trust experts over well non experts on the complex reasons why .
    It's happening and no amount of 10 minute YouTube videos will convince reality otherwise.

Sea level is down to a number of factors.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/sealevel.html

It has rise by five to eight inches since 1900. Must be small islands if five inches can overcome them.

kneemos wrote:
    It has rise by five to eight inches since 1900. Must be small islands if five inches can overcome them.

Have you missed all the flooding that has occurred here in the last several years? Do you think it's normal?

Have you missed all the flooding that has occurred here in the last several years? Do you think it's normal?

Nothing to do with sea levels.

kneemos wrote:
    Nothing to do with sea levels.

The people of Galway may disagree with you.

• Site Banned Posts: 73 ✭✭Jimmy_oc1998

Maybe if everyone stopped pouring concrete into the ground there might be some soakage in the ground. :rolleyes:

Of course no one talks about population growth. Keep the population growing, keep building more accommodation and you wonder why these problems exist.

The people of Galway may disagree with you.

They would be wrong.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote:
    They would be wrong.

Care to elaborate?

Care to elaborate?

You first.

Of course no one talks about population growth. Keep the population growing, keep building more accommodation and you wonder why these problems exist.

Population growth has been talked about. Nothing wrong with building accommodation in the right places, floodplains however are not an appropriate place to build.

kneemos wrote:
    You first.

You made the claim they would wrong, so it's up to you. Although maybe you can fall back to what you said early in the thread ' I haven't a clue' when asked a question.

You made the claim they would wrong, so it's up to you. Although maybe you can fall back to what you said early in the thread ' I haven't a clue' when asked a question.

You made the claim it was down to sea levels.

Let's see the evidence.

• Advertisement

Your dog has a bigger carbon footprint than your car.

Actually AFAIK a big dog is equivalent to a SUV or some such.

I keep seeing the almost hypocritical attitude of a lot of environmentalists.

Thinking of one in particular I know.

They have couple of big dogs, want to replace their old car with modern electric one that will take a lot of resources to manufacture, want to cut back livestock farming in Ireland since they contribute to carbon footprint, but quite happily eats quinoa grown in South America and soya grown God knows where, usually with much less environmental controls than used in Irish agriculture.

BTW we are one of the best environmentally friendly producers of livestock for meat and dairy because we use a large amount of grass rather than feedlots and maize used in other countries.

kneemos wrote:
    You made the claim it was down to sea levels.

You started this thread and got your rear handed to you several times, no need for me to do what several others have already done. Best you educate yourself from unbiased sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Sea level is down to a number of factors.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/sealevel.html

That can happen. It increases storm surges by quite a lot. Also the increase in powerful storms means that there's islands which have just been washed away. So yes, islands are disappearing.

Remember there's a lot of places which are only barely above sea level. The only reason the coastline of florida exists in its current form is because they keep replacing beaches that have been washed away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Real Jazz Book

jmayo wrote: »

They have couple of big dogs, want to replace their old car with modern electric one that will take a lot of resources to manufacture, want to cut back livestock farming in Ireland since they contribute to carbon footprint, but quite happily eats quinoa grown in South America and soya grown God knows where, usually with much less environmental controls than used in Irish agriculture.

BTW we are one of the best environmentally friendly producers of livestock for meat and dairy because we use a large amount of grass rather than feedlots and maize used in other countries.

It's kind of hard not to engage in the current society, that doesn't mean you don't want things to change. Fast fashion is pushed upon us for example. I would gladly show up in a potato sack to work every day if everyone else did. Same goes with everything, phones becoming obsolete etc. The Government encourages us to buy new cars instead of using old ones that are perfectly fine. Everything needs to change.

As for livestock and meat. Remember it was sunny for 3 days last summer and farmers were moaning all day long on the news not letting us enjoy the good weather because they didn't have enough grass to feed their 7 millions cows, and the tax payer had to pay for maize etc to be imported. I don't even eat beef or dairy. They get special treatment here because farmers seem to think it's their god given right to raise cows and are given grants and subsidies to do so.
    Do you think we should keep expanding the herd of 7 million? It's totally unsustainable and it's not like we're using this beef and dairy to feed our population, most of it is exported.

jmayo wrote: »

Your point is that because you know an environmentalist who owns a dog....what? They shouldn't bother trying to be environmentally friendly? they should shoot the dog?

BTW, you can actually lower the carbon footprint of the pet by giving it a vegan diet. there are vegan dog foods out there which are balanced, nutritious and dogs like them. (They exist for cats too but most cats won't eat them. Apparently cats are a lot fussier).

Also BTW, even with grass it's environmentally bad producing beef. They use a huge amount of land. Eventually we will transition to a diet with less meat. It may even be lab grown meat. Climate change will cause that. Just as other changes in our culture and world have changed diets in the past. However you suggest to someone that they should consider eating less meat and they go full blown red faced gammon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Real Jazz Book

As an animal lover the fetishisation of dogs and cats gets on my nerves. Huge outlets selling plastic tat for dogs, gourmet pet food... There are a billion dogs on the planet I think so it's probably something we should be reducing too. The same people who post pictures of their dogs all day are probably sucking down pork ribs and steak the same day.
    Anyway that's a different discussion...

Grayson wrote:
    BTW, you can actually lower the carbon footprint of the pet by giving it a vegan diet. there are vegan dog foods out there which are balanced, nutritious and dogs like them. (They exist for cats too but most cats won't eat them. Apparently cats are a lot fussier).

Dogs belong to the carnivore grouping but are also omivore giving a dog a vegan diet is tricky and needs to be monitored, Cats are not fussy they are just unwilling to cut animal protein from their diet and will seek it out if denied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Grayson wrote: »
    Your point is that because you know an environmentalist who owns a dog....what? They shouldn't bother trying to be environmentally friendly? they should shoot the dog?

Also BTW, even with grass it's environmentally bad producing beef. They use a huge amount of land. Eventually we will transition to a diet with less meat. It may even be lab grown meat. Climate change will cause that. Just as other changes in our culture and world have changed diets in the past. However you suggest to someone that they should consider eating less meat and they go full blown red faced gammon.

The real problem isn’t using a lot of land. It’s the methane.

The real problem isn’t using a lot of land. It’s the methane.

It's not just that. The fact is that rearing cattle is a very inefficient use of the land. If that land was used to grow veggies then it would be able to feed more people.

Edit to add: and I mean when the land can be used. take for example sheep farming. A lot of that occurs on land that's not able to be used for tillage or any type of cereal. Now it might be argued that we could lower carbon emissions by not rearing them at all, but I just mean that the land isn't good for any other type of food production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I was only thinking today I remember being in primary school (mid 80's) there was all this talk of "acid rain". Whatever happened to that?

they passed legislation that forced companies to stop putting loads of sulphur compounds into the atmosphere and it stopped a lot of that.
    smoke stacks have to be tested for their emissions now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Got a reply from David. He found it quite amusing and took most of the posts in good spirit. He says there is no scaremongering: even he was surprised at the rate of change in the earth's climate and the accelerated affects on the life of the planet. As long as his efforts spark some conversation on the matter, he's going to keep at it as long as his health allows.

What did he say about the fake Polar Bear footage? ;)

The Maldives apparently are a prime example of misinformation.

https://youtu.be/9p51t2MHcms

kneemos wrote:
    The Maldives apparently are a prime example of misinformation.

According to whom? Is there unbiased research available to prove this. Or is your claim just based on some whack job on YouTube?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

All felines are obligate carnivores, hence the fussiness :D

It's kind of hard not to engage in the current society, that doesn't mean you don't want things to change. Fast fashion is pushed upon us for example. I would gladly show up in a potato sack to work every day if everyone else did. Same goes with everything, phones becoming obsolete etc. The Government encourages us to buy new cars instead of using old ones that are perfectly fine. Everything needs to change.

As for livestock and meat. Remember it was sunny for 3 days last summer and farmers were moaning all day long on the news not letting us enjoy the good weather because they didn't have enough grass to feed their 7 millions cows, and the tax payer had to pay for maize etc to be imported. I don't even eat beef or dairy. They get special treatment here because farmers seem to think it's their god given right to raise cows and are given grants and subsidies to do so.
    Do you think we should keep expanding the herd of 7 million? It's totally unsustainable and it's not like we're using this beef and dairy to feed our population, most of it is exported.

Farmers were not complaining after three fooking sunny days you .......
    The usual hyperbola from someone that probably wouldn't know a bull from a cow.

Why do I believe you work for a foreign multinational, one that probably sited here because they got grants and kickbacks of some sort.
    Or else probably a publicly funded role.

Maybe if you were willing to pay top bucks for your food then farmers might not need subsidies to survive or perhaps you would like your food from industrial scale farming as in the US where the animals are reared on a diet of drugs to keep them from getting sick when in close proximity to each other.

Oh no you don't eat beef or dairy, shure that's ok you can eat soya and quinoa that is grown in an "environmentally friendly" fashion the other side of the world. :rolleyes:

And sunshine when all those foreign companies up sticks, when they either disappear as an entity like Gateway, Wang or up sticks to somewhere cheaper like Dell, Seagate, etc one of the few indigenous entities we have offering massive employment is our agri industry.
    And we do it damn well.

I don't eat beef either, but I support one of our only indigenous industries that offers employment and a way of life to thousands.

Nah the neighbouring farmer takes care of that.

Those animals should not be on vegan diets.

Granted we should be eating less meat, but grass fed beef/lamb and dairy is better than the alternatives.
    It's not just that. The fact is that rearing cattle is a very inefficient use of the land. If that land was used to grow veggies then it would be able to feed more people.

Edit to add: and I mean when the land can be used. take for example sheep farming. A lot of that occurs on land that's not able to be used for tillage or any type of cereal. Now it might be argued that we could lower carbon emissions by not rearing them at all, but I just mean that the land isn't good for any other type of food production.

A lot of our land is not good enough for crops, pure and simple.
    Also our weather can be decidedly uncooperative.

We are good at growing grass.
    And what is grass good for?
    The rearing of ruminants.

According to whom? Is there unbiased research available to prove this. Or is your claim just based on some whack job on YouTube?

Maybe watch the whack guy on YouTube and don't make presumptions.

kneemos wrote:
    Maybe watch the whack guy on YouTube and don't make presumptions.

Already did, so once again is your claim based solely on the Youtube whack job or do you have any proper research to post to back up what you claim?

Already did, so once again is your claim based solely on the Youtube whack job or do you have any proper research to post to back up what you claim?

Can't watch an eight minute video in under three minutes.

If you did watch the video you'd have seen the evidence of the misinformation.

kneemos wrote:

I listened to an idiot asking lots of stupid questions with an old 30's movie as a backdrop. So once again are you basing your claims based solely on a YouTube whack job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Can't watch an eight minute video in under three minutes.

Can you not provide a summary?

Advertisement