Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit in car park

Options
  • 15-08-2020 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

My car was hit in a car park while no one was in it. When I got back into the car, the owner of the car that hit it approached to tell me what had happened. We agreed I’d get an estimate and get back to her.

I did that and she’s now not happy with the estimate and making threats (on what basis, I couldn’t tell you). So I just asked for her insurance details, address, etc. which she provided.

She’s now asking for my insurance details. There is no question who is at fault here as my car was legally parked and unoccupied when the accident occurred. Is there any reason that she would need my insurance details? Am I legally obliged to provide them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Similar thing happened to me (minus the threats!)

Got a quote, she refused to pay so i stopped dealing with her and just reported it with her insurance company. They death with everything from then on and issued me a cheque. They will send out an 'independent' accessor to check the damage and quote you've gotten.

No idea whether or not she can request your details but i can't see why not? She could have taken the details off your disk after the crash anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

The conventional wisdom in this situation is not to deal directly with the other party as it often goes sour.

Ignore her. Deal directly with her insurance company.

If the incident occurred in a public place you are obliged to give insurance details to another party with whom there has been an accident.

BTW you should report it to your own insurers - as per policy conditions.
    You will probably have to advert to it anyhow before next renewal.
    The issue of fault has no relevance to your obligation to notify your insurers

Advertisement