Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I pass my test will I get a discount on insurance?

Options
  • 14-08-2020 2:57pm

I'm on my learner permit and my insurance is up soon so I've to sign up for a new policy. I expect to do my test soon and wondered if I pass will my insurance company give me a discount on the rest of my policy as I'll have a full licence then? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭User1998

Yes if you pay in full they will give you a refund once you pass your test or if you pay by the month your monthly premiums will decrease. Tho it would work out cheaper to take out the policy as a fully licensed driver from start to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You should be asking your insurance company. They all have different policies on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭walshtipp

From my experience it makes little difference. I got my full licence in the middle of my policy. I was refunded €35. The policy costed approx €2300.

I'm on my learner permit and my insurance is up soon so I've to sign up for a new policy. I expect to do my test soon and wondered if I pass will my insurance company give me a discount on the rest of my policy as I'll have a full licence then? Thanks.

Some driving schools have deals with insurance companies, but I think it's only about 10%.

Only advice is to shop around, when I left a job with a company car and despite having a full licence for ten years and named driver on my wife's policy, no claims etc, I was being quoted up to 2,000 by the actual companies directly.
    A mate gave me the name of a brokerage, who got me insured fully comp for 500 with one of the same companies, and every year after that they got me the best deal.

They unfortunately sold out to chill last year so don't know if they are still doing such good deals, will see at the next renewal, but if you want to try them pm me and I will pass on the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Some driving schools have deals with insurance companies, but I think it's only about 10%.

Only advice is to shop around, when I left a job with a company car and despite having a full licence for ten years and named driver on my wife's policy, no claims etc, I was being quoted up to 2,000 by the actual companies directly.
    A mate gave me the name of a brokerage, who got me insured fully comp for 500 with one of the same companies, and every year after that they got me the best deal.

They unfortunately sold out to chill last year so don't know if they are still doing such good deals, will see at the next renewal, but if you want to try them pm me and I will pass on the name.

Has to be aaron. They were great. Chill quoted me high, but Aaron now inside chill quoted me very well.

• Advertisement

Has to be aaron. They were great. Chill quoted me high, but Aaron now inside chill quoted me very well.

Good to hear and hope to have the same experience you had on the renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

As a previous poster said. I couldnt believe how little getting my full licence made to my insurance. I was all excited sending in the photocopy of my FULL licence on renewal. I rang them and told them the good news, The broker gave me a whole 40 euro reduction on my premium :rolleyes:
    Gas. I had assumed there would be like a 20 percent reduction or so. :rolleyes:
    better then a kick in the bum I guess!
    Shop around yearly, car insurance companies dont reward loyalty!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yeah I remember it making surprisingly little difference, a few quid off but nothing to write hone about. The best way to get your insurance down is to shop around every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

You need to consider that brokers earn commission. Changes, and adjustments and possibly refunds, come with a charge.

I took out a policy and then added something the same week. It cost 80 euro but I'm sure there was a fee built in.

I didn't care, was my own fault and Aaron fixed me up while I was stuck.

My renewal was in writing from Aaron 'now part of chill' and was very good. Shopping around anyway, I called chill themselves and they were MUCH more expensive. Still with them

Advertisement