Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from commercial to domestic insurance

Options
  • 08-08-2020 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,833 ✭✭✭✭

I'm stuck and need help.

A neighbour/mate has asked me to get him a few online quotes for car insurance. He's been driving a van (insured for work purposes) for the last few years and just bought a car a couple of days ago. The only "physical" brokers he contacted was the local AIB branch. The guy there told him that he would have to get a new "domestic" policy separate from the van and that he would be starting off in the new and any bonuses accrued from the van insurance couldn't be transferred or applied to the new car policy.

So I have 2 questions. Firstly was the guy in the bank correct in saying that he would have to start off in the new without no claims bonuses being applied?

Secondly, when looking for online quotes for him should I mention the fact that he has insurance? There is usually a question about your existing policy but I dont believe any of the insurers differentiate between private/domestic and commercial when asking for details of any existing policy.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They won't let you swap between commercial and private mid policy the way you can just swap your new car on to a policy to replace your old one. So you'd have to cancel this year's commercial policy and start a new private one. But the NCB counts. I've jumped back and forward a few times over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Did he have a personal insurance rep while in business. If so, have a quiet word. This issue came up before and an arrangement was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,833 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks for that. I should have said he is keeping the van and policy obviously for the remaining period which is next year some time. He wont be swapping policies as he will have 2 separate ones which I suppose may lend substance to what he was told in the bank.

So do you think its better just to look for quotes for a new car policy...as in he would be starting from scratch in relation to bonuses?

Did he have a personal insurance rep while in business. If so, have a quiet word. This issue came up before and an arrangement was made.
    Good question. Can you elaborate on that at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Did he try going the classic car route?

Try every broker possible, I've the same issue, grade policy over 10 years they actually cancelled it on me where at renewal they wouldn't allow, I plead my case to broker I've stayed with and it took two weeks to sort.....

Has he a girlfriend, wife, dad or mum for example that they could go on policy and he be named etc....

Insurance is a joke here

• Advertisement

Did he try going the classic car route?
    No, he just discussed his insurance with AIB rep. I doubt if it would work (whatever it is) in his case anyhow.
    Has he a girlfriend, wife, dad or mum for example that they could go on policy and he be named etc....
    His wife doesnt drive and his son has commercial insurance also so not much help in that regard.
    Insurance is a joke here
    Couldnt agree more but thats a different matter :)

muffler wrote: »
    Good question. Can you elaborate on that at all?
    Ok, so what happened was an established business was closing down and it had a personal rep who came every year and had a chat, gave a quote, had an arguement, struck a deal and that was it.

Then when the business was closing down, it was put to the rep, that the principle who was driving the van no longer had any NCB as the policies were in the company name.

Rep replies, "I am sure we could take into account the circumstances and arrange something" and they did.

Since then, a car was insured seperately and Aarron insurances (now part of chill) was approached. They accepted named driver experience and got 3 years NCB with Zurich.

An angle you may want to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Some brokers I've heard have taken into account driving years but not a full no claims.

Any other family members he could go named driver and get a few years that way ...

Some brokers I've heard have taken into account driving years but not a full no claims.

Any other family members he could go named driver and get a few years that way ...
    So check with brokers. If they have an office, go in.

The only other immediate family is a daughter and Im not sure if she drives or not as she doesnt live locally but its worth following up on. His son has van insurance and he and the his wife have a car also but Im guessing its insured in her name. I'll find out though.

He's been quoted 1100+ by AIB for a 09 Qashqai 1.5L diesel. He's 66 so I dont know if thats a good rate or not in the circumstances

• Advertisement

Just ran through the AXA website and the problem I faced was when asked if I (my mate) had previous insurance. It didnt state what type of insurance nor was there a question about the date the car was purchased. I stuck in that he had insurance, which he has, and that he has a 6 year bonus. I might have to redo it and put him down as having no insurance with no bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

If keeping the van, then a new private policy is required.

No claims starts at zero. However, some will give bonus no claims discount, you can also look for a low mileage policy and also look at taking a higher excess.

I put his details through the AXA website and with stating he has insurance and 6 years NCB the quote was €612.87.

However when I ran it through again and stated no previous insurance (thats the only option in the circumstances) and no NCB obviously, they refused to quote.

muffler wrote: »
    I put his details through the AXA website and with stating he has insurance and 6 years NCB the quote was €612.87.

However when I ran it through again and stated no previous insurance (thats the only option in the circumstances) and no NCB obviously, they refused to quote.

You need to go verbal. Explain the story and get a human to see it for what it is.

Advertisement