Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 6 "The Iron Throne" - Spoilers post 2 forw

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Considering I never overly cared who is on the iron throne I had no issues with where characters end. I thought Jon is going to end somewhere in the North when he said to Tormund that he wishes he couId go with him in 4th episode. That was a bit predictable. But I found couple of scenes a bit ridiculous. The meeting of Lords was resolved in 5 minutes and that small council meeting was just pure cringe. The dialogue and how they filled the positions with season regulars was ridiculous. Bronn Master of Coin? I can't imagine less trustworthy person. What was Sam doing there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Maybe it was to show nothing had been learned and the leadership was still as incompetent as ever

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

What was the rationale for rushing this last season into 6 episodes? Surely this was a gold mine for HBO so dragging it out would have been the more commercially logical move...

Somehow I felt nothing when Dany died. That would have been unthinkable a few seasons ago but she really just became a pain in the ass with the constant “bend the knee” thing.

Also I did not feel any great satisfaction from it all coming up Stark in the end. I think the problem was the best Stark characters all died a long time ago and their deaths were largely avenged over the previous seasons.

Bran had an incredibly strange storyline throughout and seems like a very bizarre choice for King, he shows zero empathy, zero emotion, zero leadership skills etc. He’d probably be a great advisor to the King though.

Most disappointing this season for me was the lack of surprises or twists and follow up on GoT “lore”. The books are full of it and some of the fan theory’s were unbelievably clever and fun but evidently way off the mark

Finally, the dragon burning the iron throne was really cheesy. We’d seen nothing in the previous seasons to suggest he had any such awareness of what was going on or a higher level of intelligence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

What was the rationale for rushing this last season into 6 episodes? Surely this was a gold mine for HBO so dragging it out would have been the more commercially logical move...

Somehow I felt nothing when Dany died. That would have been unthinkable a few seasons ago but she really just became a pain in the ass with the constant “bend the knee” thing.

Also I did not feel any great satisfaction from it all coming up Stark in the end. I think the problem was the best Stark characters all died a long time ago and their deaths were largely avenged over the previous seasons.

Bran had an incredibly strange storyline throughout and seems like a very bizarre choice for King, he shows zero empathy, zero emotion, zero leadership skills etc. He’d probably be a great advisor to the King though.

Most disappointing this season for me was the lack of surprises or twists and follow up on GoT “lore”. The books are full of it and some of the fan theory’s were unbelievably clever and fun but evidently way off the mark

Finally, the dragon burning the iron throne was really cheesy. We’d seen nothing in the previous seasons to suggest he had any such awareness of what was going on or a higher level of intelligence

Actors were on x per episode so instead of 10 40 minute episodes we git the same 400 minutes over 6 episodes saving a huge amount. HBO will have sold it and its ad revenue for the same amount.

Bran can’t die of natural causes, can he? So that’s him on his wheelchair forever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Wtf why did Jon Snow get totally shafted? I mean he basically saved the world. And he was the rightful king. Seems a bit ridiculous

Apart from that, as an episode of a tv show it wasn't too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Greyworm: I'm gonna kill all my queen's enemies!

Also Greyworm: Except the murderer of my queen, of course.

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I really wanted to like it but felt flat. Ah well sure what can you do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Had to give Arya an ending so made her Dora the Explorer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

One thing I'm going to say, even if it is quite late in the thread.

GRRM decided years ago that Bran would be King. The writers were told who becomes king, but they've gotten to it in a different way, simply because GRRM hasn't fully decided how Bran becomes King.

• Advertisement

A song of ice and fire...

It was always going to end up as a puddle of luke-warm water..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

ricero wrote: »
    A total flop of an ending and final series. I look forward to leggo trying to defend this mess lol

Bit of a ridiculous stance to take tbh. I happen to agree with him on most points that people were just looking to pick holes in the other episodes.

However that being said the finale was a big pile of stupid for a show that had for the most part been very intelligent throughout it's run.

Jon has to give up his sword to visit a prisoner who committed Tyrion, yet is allowed to wander into an unprotected Dany fully armed. Where the hell were her queensguard or are we supposed to believe she's that arrogant?

Greyworm is slitting throats of prisoners in the street yet doesn't bother killing his queen's assassin.

Sam who never left the Night's Watch suddenly being a Lord in Westeros, and then a maester.

Bronn as master of coin that was already spent to pay the Iron Bank/hire the Golden Company.

The unburnable book of the Kingsguard.

The fact that they showed the main characters doing their different things at the end, and didn't include Bran who has essentially been an afterthought the entire show - YET STILL GIVE HIM THE CROWN.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,824 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

So... the King of the 6 Kingdoms isn’t from any of the 6 Kingdoms, and never set foot (wheel?) in Kings landing until that day.

Why the bejesus would the actual lords of the 6 kingdoms allow that? Especially a chap with all the personality of a spongecake.

Why on earth didn’t the writers try to show Bran as anything other than a freak-show over the past 2 seasons? Wouldn’t trust my goldfish with the guy the way they’ve presented him to us, never mind a realm!

Sonics2k wrote: »
    One thing I'm going to say, even if it is quite late in the thread.

GRRM decided years ago that Bran would be King. The writers were told who becomes king, but they've gotten to it in a different way, simply because GRRM hasn't fully decided how Bran becomes King.

It seems the way the writers took was "Surprise, it's Bran!".

Well that was dreadful...

Dany has just burned a city to the ground, she must know that a lot of people won’t be happy with her? But she is just left unguarded to be killed?

Unsullied and Dothraki just sort of take off into the sunset...

Everything after Danys death was major cringe.

Bran, who never wanted to rule and and is no longer really alive, wants to be king?

Ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Better finale than I was expecting at this stage although the entire last season was a massive disappointment to me; far more than I was could have envisaged.
    I genuinely think the overall outline of the season wasn't something that was insurmountable but the awful writing effected almost every main character & you could tell some actors hearts weren't in it as they knew something was wrong too.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    So... the King of the 6 Kingdoms isn’t from any of the 6 Kingdoms, and never set foot (wheel?) in Kings landing until that day.

Why the bejesus would the actual lords of the 6 kingdoms allow that? Especially a chap with all the personality of a spongecake.

Why on earth didn’t the writers try to show Bran as anything other than a freak-show over the past 2 seasons? Wouldn’t trust my goldfish with the guy the way they’ve presented him to us, never mind a realm!

They didn't show him as anything other than that because this was supposed to be a plot twist that we'd never see coming.

Thing is, plot twists only work if they makes sense in retrospect. And that doesn't work with Bran, despite Tyrion's lovely speech. Bran's own response to being offered the crown, "Why do you think I came all this way", undoes a lot of his story up to this point. He suddenly went from someone who had no interest in ruling to a ruler in waiting.

It really feels like the writers got to the last episode and decided to pick a new ruler out of whoever they hadn't killed off up to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Bran, who never wanted to rule and and is no longer really alive, wants to be king?

Ok...

It was the: "Why do you think I traveled this far?" line that got me, you pretentious, creepy fùcker!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

I just don't know how to feel about it. The writers should be disgusted with themselves. They tried to cram in way too much into this season. I think if it had more episodes it would of came together a lot better. It's so disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

pah wrote: »
    . All the unsullied and dothraki cheering for their queen and her conquest/future conquets, few mins later they're walking down the docks and setting sail for a new life????. FML the more I'm typing the madder I'm getting. Need to sleep on this

Give them a break, they all died in episode 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

What was the whole point of Jons true identity as a Targaryen?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Only ever been a casual viewer so I'm not immersed in the detail of the storyline or characters.

However from what I've seen of him, the new king has had a pretty easy ride to the throne. Did he ever even speak? All I've seen him do is sit in a chair and roll his eyes every third episode.

I know I must have missed something but what the hell was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

Does the North having its own status and Jon going off into the wild not set this up for another wheel and maybe Jon becomes the new night king in a thousand years.

To make Dany go crazy. That's it.

---

Ser Vival: My king! They said they want to kill you!
    Bran: I'm not really alive. Not any more.
    Ser Vival: But your grace, do you not want your enemies to be punished?
    Bran: I don't really want anymore.
    Ser Vival: There's reports that people are starving in the streets.
    Bran: They're going to die. I've seen it.
    Ser Vival: The master of coin has disappeared with very large sums of money.
    Bran: I could have told you that. If you'd asked.

First Up wrote: »
    Only ever been a casual viewer so I'm not immersed in the detail of the storyline or characters.

However from what I've seen of him, the new king has had a pretty easy ride to the throne. Did he ever even speak? All I've seen him do is sit in a chair and roll his eyes every third episode.

I know I must have missed something but what the hell was it?

We have followed his long journey where he became a magic tree God who knows everything that has ever happened, can tell the future, and take over the mind of any animal he chooses.

I am 100% serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The dragon melts the iron throne, really?

Ugh. So happy this is over in some respects

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

Who was the prince we were promised?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

We have followed his long journey where he became a magic tree God who knows everything that has ever happened, can tell the future, and take over the mind of any animal he chooses.

Oh fair enough so.

He earned his pay easy though. Just sitting there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Has anyone made a Humpty Dumpty reference yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Feck all. Was actually hilarious how gormless they made Jon in this episode, redecked out in his green boy garb and hairstyle by the end.

Nice though that he's seemingly said **** his punishment and gone beyond the Wall to become King. Not so honourable after all.

Such a poor ending for a character.

Advertisement