Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has your job ever ruined a film

Options
  • 10-04-2021 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Watching skyscraper with my husband who works in construction, it's all no reinforcement in that wall that'd never happen, a building that tall the lifts would be a problem, and so on.

So has your knowledge ever ruined a film.

Plus how come they don't employ a civil engineer as a consultant to get the technical aspect correct.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Nothing to ruin in the movie Skyscraper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

I’d say now op building Lego and pup is your husbands best attributes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

No but films give unrealistic expectations of what I do in my job.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Most office-based films for me, tbh. I wish I could yell "you're fired", stomp around like a massive bitch and face absolutely no repercussions for it, like in the movies! :-))

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I work with animals, so most movies with animals require me to shut off my brain to get through them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not a film, but all the tech stuff in CSI, particularly "enchancing" audio or video comes in as utter bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

mariaalice wrote: »
    Watching skyscraper with my husband who works in construction, it's all no reinforcement in that wall that'd never happen, a building that tall would the lifts would be a problem, and so on.

So has your knowledge ever ruined a film.

Plus how come they don't employ a civil engineer as a consultant to get the technical aspect correct.

Ha! Yes!
    I'm a Registered Gas Installer.
    I was watching some series on TV and they are feckin' around with the gas boiler and they were all chuffed they got it working. Thing was, all the protective covers were missing which gives the combustion too much air which usually produces very high levels of carbon monoxide and their just standing there gormless beside it and I'm shouting at the television to shut the boiler off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Anything IT based is almost always arseways. Lots of typing endless nonsense code, bugger all use of a mouse or trackpad. It's the movie shorthand for "computers".

My own personal nerdy wristwatch interest would be another one. They almost never get watches right in period films. My fave flic of all time is probably Lawrence of Arabia(how O'Toole didn't get an oscar for that is beyond me). Set in WW1, yet he wears a WW2 watch. *watchnerd twitch* :mad::D

Looking at stuff set in the medieval and everyone is dressed in brown rags is a nonsense, but that's shorthand for the medieval(it was actually quite colourful and castles in particular were gaudily painted). Or when you see a road like this in "ancient time" like Rome or Greece or whenever.

d4488f09178f3429793df8a630203ef6.jpg

that's another shorthand for "olde times", yet no road looked like that before the invention of the automobile. OK, you think of a horse and cart. Where's the horse in relation to the cart? Exactly, you see it. The green bit in the middle would be just as worn down as the rest of the road.

Another one is in American films where a car with a manual gearbox(traaaansmission) is onscreen. Changing gears in what appears to be a ten speed gearbox means going way faster. Might go over in the US of A where most people "can't drive stick" but looks daft to even your grannie who drives her 90's Starlet to mass every day.

American rewriting of history is another one. In WW2 flics you'd swear they were the only ones on the good side. Indeed I'm surprised they even show the Germans or Japanese being in the mix at all. :D Though great directors like Clint Eastwood(who couldn't be more conservative Go USA! in personal politics) don't do this. Then again he's of a very different generation, when meaning over artifice mattered more.

I would tend to switch off the critique and contrarianism when enjoying a film or TV drama though. You kinda have to. They're a fantasy, a break from reality, that's what they do. A physicist or cosmologist if they were that much of a Sheldon Cooper anally retentive couldn't possibly enjoy it. Teeny tiny Scarlett Johansson in a skin tight catsuit(hello!) beating seven shades of ordure out of huge muscly blokes is a total nonsense, but it's great to watch. Drama in essence is the suspension of disbelief. I mean Shakespeare was a big hit in his day and droves of the common man and woman and the well heeled piled in to see his(and others like Marlowe) plays and loved them, even though to modern audiences they'd be horribly stilted and all the women's parts were played by blokes in drag.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Ha! Yes!
    I'm a Registered Gas Installer.
    I was watching some series on TV and they are feckin' around with the gas boiler and they were all chuffed they got it working. Thing was, all the protective covers were missing which gives the combustion too much air which usually produces very high levels of carbon monoxide and their just standing there gormless beside it and I'm shouting at the television to shut the boiler off.
    I read that K and your avatar summed it up perfectly. :D:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Where they release halo gas in the room and they don't sufficate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Anything to do with IT in any movie

Notable mention for any degree of accuracy is the first season of Mr Robot, but thats TV

No. So far from what I've watched the portrayal has been fairly accurate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Hdjsjsjsj

As other have said the depiction of IT is often a bit ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Deepwater Horizon

Worked in the oil field and this is like a horror movie for me, characters are accurate, rig floor, dog house and so on.

Can't watch it because me or my friends could so easily have been standing their.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

No..if I'm ever sat watching a film about some poor bastid assessing a supplier driven change notification kill me

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

Charactors too. We're expected to believe that some old dear is head of a specailist crime investigations unit.

"We have ways of making them talk gag"

Give us some credit.

On the IT bit, I can't think of a bigger offender than The Net or maybe Enemy of the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

OP, i know what you mean
    Im (was) a chef, and in most movies and soaps (Fair City) they all come out of a busy shift with a spotless white jacket

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As said ad nauseam, IT is mostly wrong. Also space physics bar a few notable exceptions like The Expanse.

I'm always spotting airsoft (like paintball) guns in movies :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Wibbs observation around the endless clicking of keyboards in anything computer related does my head in.

**American accent in cop film***..."can we zoom in on that plate?"

Tech guy types furiously. No mouse to be seen. Seriously?!

Also I am a firearm owner. Anything inaccurate there has me giving out to Mrs Seafields. Watched something recently where they tried to rob a house with a double barrel shotgun.....

Insert pump action shotgun noise after they demand the money.

FFS. Give me strength!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

"The files are located on the CIAs encrypted servers, pass me that laptop....*tap*....*tap*...*tap*..............I'm in"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Notmything

War films or gun fights:

Never reload, fences, doors, cardboard boxes stopping rounds.

Grenades exploding with the power of a mini Nuke.

Explosion: no shrapnel, no injuries from shock wave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

This is every musician watching people play their instruments in films and on tv. Except The Song of Names, every cunt in that learned the shit out of the violin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

SeaFields wrote:
    Tech guy types furiously. No mouse to be seen. Seriously?!

"*tap tap tap tap tap* enhance! *tap tap tap tap tap* enhance! *tap... tap... tap... tap... tap...* enhance!"
    "Just print the damn thing!"

Every movie gets it wrong on just about every industry.

No one wants to spend 2 hours watching a cop filming in paperwork.

Or waiting 6 months for the real csi to not find a fingerprint match or tell you that the blue paint is.....blue paint commonly found in every single shop in the land.

I certainly have no desire to watch an it consultant coding or trouble shooting a virus.

And so on and so forth. So no, the movies don't because I'm not a moron, I know they are movies and I know they aren't making me better than the real professionals.

The morons that think they are real and watching them makes them experts........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭I see sheep

The thread title is confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Either Hollywood Reporter or Vanity Fair do a good series on YouTube where industry pros, spys, pilots, cops, teachers, scientists etc all critique the most and least accurate movies in their field.

All take dramatic licence of course, but some do go to great lengths to be authentic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wibbs wrote: »
    A physicist or cosmologist if they were that much of a Sheldon Cooper anally retentive couldn't possibly enjoy it.

The only really genuine bit of science was

Penny: So, what's new in the world of physics?
    Leonard: Nothing.
    Penny: Really, nothing?
    Leonard: Well, with the exception of string theory, not much has happened since the 1930s. And you can't prove string theory"

The rest of it was name dropping or Star Trek Voyager level technobabble.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Notmything wrote: »
    War films or gun fights:

Never reload, fences, doors, cardboard boxes stopping rounds.

Grenades exploding with the power of a mini Nuke.

Explosion: no shrapnel, no injuries from shock wave.
    No one using ranged weapons properly. Apart from "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

In Fury a stationary Tiger would be expected to hit a target 19 times out of 20. The only possible reason to get close would be if there was serious artillery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Treppen

The only really genuine bit of science was

Penny: So, what's new in the world of physics?
    Leonard: Nothing.
    Penny: Really, nothing?
    Leonard: Well, with the exception of string theory, not much has happened since the 1930s. And you can't prove string theory"

The rest of it was name dropping or Star Trek Voyager level technobabble.

I remember one time on Big Bang they called a drinks cup a cylinder... Bunch of ####ing dopes.
    (It's a truncated cone btw).

• Advertisement

NASA admits to using the film "Armageddon" to test their new applicants knowledge by making them pick out all of the scientific inaccuracies. Currently the record is 168 total scientific inaccuracies.

Advertisement