Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quickest way you've seen someone lose it all?

13»

Comments

• Wanderer78 wrote: »
    unfortunately i suspect sites is where the rejected end up, and many of those lads are well capable of achieving in a classroom, if given the right tools to do so, many do become great trades people though, and we d be fcuked without them

Finance/IT Infrastructure PM here but every so years I'll go back to the sites. Before my current job I spent some time doing Civil Works and Demolition. Absolutely love the comraderie and the banter on the site and hope to go into construction PM full time. Some of the lads on sites are insanely talented and out of the box thinkers and there are many I'd take on in a heartbeat onto one of my projects if I could.

The last few years I've seen sparks do well in tech companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

lad i know from glasgow. he filmed himself and his girlfriend. but accidently lent it to his mate renton. when his girlfriend found out, she dumped him. so he went on smack. he was the only lad out of his mates that didnt do smack. eventually he died, might have been an overdose, or something to do with cats urine. i cant remember the story. some fall from grace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Fair play to him. Have to respect that. Sounds grafter and a decent person with empathy. I know plenty of snakes hit the high road with funds in the back pocket using the recession as an excuse not to pay subbies.

Hopefully he is content now and happy.

Yeah he was/is a decent guy in fairness. He was absolutely ruthless to work for though apparently but anyone who got to where he did probably had to be. Those who worked for him and were loyal got very well looked after at Christmas etc and he was hugely generous with his money and I think he thought he was too big to fail. Of course at that time, if someone did something that made them look 1% better than you in other peoples eyes then things had to be taken up a notch. The helicopter was a prime example.

Every year there was a scramble around new year to make sure the wives had their new Merc jeeps or Range Rover before anyone else. Fellas outbidding each other on nonsense expensive items at charity gigs just to look better than anyone else. 2000 to 2007 was a mad time in this country it really was. People made it big fast and lost it all even faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Motivator wrote: »
    Yeah he was/is a decent guy in fairness. He was absolutely ruthless to work for though apparently but anyone who got to where he did probably had to be. Those who worked for him and were loyal got very well looked after at Christmas etc and he was hugely generous with his money and I think he thought he was too big to fail. Of course at that time, if someone did something that made them look 1% better than you in other peoples eyes then things had to be taken up a notch. The helicopter was a prime example.

Every year there was a scramble around new year to make sure the wives had their new Merc jeeps or Range Rover before anyone else. Fellas outbidding each other on nonsense expensive items at charity gigs just to look better than anyone else. 2000 to 2007 was a mad time in this country it really was. People made it big fast and lost it all even faster.

It sounds like what you're describing there is that your man was just that bit smarter than the rest in knowing that if he ever wanted to show is face again in his community then he better make good with the smaller guys who depended on him to make a modest living before Nama or whoever get to him. Ireland is a seriously small country in that regard....

The one thing about all these developers who lost it all is that they pi$$ed away so much money on living the high live as you've described above. My wife is friendly with a couple from home who're well in with a decent sized developer currently (who have been in the news lately) and they get a lot of work through them. For some reason they've been taken under the wing and are brought on holidays to the states with them and all kinds of mad stuff....when you see the crazy prices that are charged for houses, especially back in the Celtic tiger days, and you hear about the lifestyles and the way they spend their money, you don't be too sorry for them when it invariably goes belly up.....

i heard a story about the developer who built my apartment block who also happened to be involved in supplying stone and concrete for a large infrastructure project i was involved in. Heard that the son used to turn up to suppliers in his Ferrari claiming that they couldn't pay....could be an urban myth but it wouldn't surprise me....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I guess the 2008 crash gives Apocalypse Now a whole new meaning.

*Wonders if anyone invested in Saigon, and has Viet Nam flashbacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

lad i know from glasgow. he filmed himself and his girlfriend. but accidently lent it to his mate renton. when his girlfriend found out, she dumped him. so he went on smack. he was the only lad out of his mates that didnt do smack. eventually he died, might have been an overdose, or something to do with cats urine. i cant remember the story. some fall from grace.

What's toxoplasmosis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Ryan Giggs.

Advertisement