Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shay healy has died

• 10-04-2021 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭

Rip. Loved nighthawks back in the day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I loved Nighthawks too and was sad to read he had Parkinson's.

What's another year? RIP Shay.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0410/1208960-shay-healy/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,223 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Have a soft spot for Whats Another Year.
    RIP Shay.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Seemed a very creative and productive man

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

RIP Shay Healy.

What's another Year, one of the best written Eurovision Winners and very apt for the past year we've had.

An excellent media career.

Wasnt Nighthawks responsible for Charlie Haugheys resignation? I believe it was to do with the phone tapping scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Never realized he was 78,always though of him as I remember him from my youth. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭Lemon Davis lll

Loved this performance from a couple of years back. Think it was written about the passing of his own Dad.

Sharp guy and a real gentleman

RIP Shay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Loved this performance from a couple of years back. Think it was written about the passing of his own Dad.

Sharp guy and a real gentleman

RIP Shay

Very poignant.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

What's another year? Shay

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Caquas

anewme wrote: »
    RIP Shay Healy.

What's another Year, one of the best written Eurovision Winners and very apt for the past year we've had.

An excellent media career.

Wasnt Nighthawks responsible for Charlie Haugheys resignation? I believe it was to do with the phone tapping scandal.

What’s Another Year was definitely the best Irish Eurovision song - the only one that still has a life outside Eurovision. Shay Healey was a rare bird - a creative, free spirit in RTÉ. RIP.

But people misunderstand the Haughey business. Lots of media coverage today saying Nighthawks brought Haughey down. Not really, although that canny operator Sean Doherty used it to fire a shot at his former mentor.

Doherty wouldn’t dream of going on a serious political programme - he had too much political baggage. I used to think Doherty had set this up with Shay Healy but in his autobiography, Shay says he didn’t even understand the import of Doherty’s revelation until Doherty tipped him off after the show.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30232550.html
    Who really knows why Haughey went when he did? He had seen off a “heave” from Albert Reynolds but he had to go into coalition with the Progressive Democrats, led by his nemesis, Dessie O’Malley. The PDs threatened to quit the coalition but Haughey could have hung on, even if it meant a general election. Would Haughey, the great survivor, fall on his sword because Sean Doherty, the epitome of cute hoor politicians, changed his tune about something that happened years before? I suspect that Haughey saw FF was too divided to face a general election and decided to go while he was still ahead of the game. But he hadn’t reckoned on Ben Dunne Jr. being caught with hookers and cocaine in Miami.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

He was a great man. Rest in peace, Shay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

always had a great sense of humour....

for the kids out there: Sebastian Coe was an olympic long distance runner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Caquas

fryup wrote: »
    always had a great sense of humour....

for the kids out there: Sebastian Coe was an olympic long distance runner

Thanks - a good laugh but that video with a comically ugly woman chasing Shay around would be a career-ending move today.

Sad that the song no longer works because Sebastian Coe is unknown to the younger generation. He was a middle distance runnner in the way that Eric Clapton was a guitarist and his achievements afterwards are extraordinary. I can’t think of any current middle-distance runner who has the name recognition to make Shay’s joke work today
    https://www.worldathletics.org/about-iaaf/structure/president

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i also remember Shay released a protest single in the mid 80's about Sellafield

it was called...

"fish that glow in the dark" :p

Advertisement