Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most boring places you've visited

Options

Comments

LillySV wrote: »
    Dublin
    SSSShhh people that live in dublin think its better than new york or tokyo

For a tourist dublin isnt too bad as long as you know where to go

• Registered Users Posts: 24,840 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Brussels is dullsville.

Venice is beautiful, unique, nice to look at and traveling by water taxi / gondola is a novelty but you wouldn’t want a week there, long weekend tops...not enough variety.

Strumms wrote: »
    Brussels is dullsville.

Venice is beautiful, unique, nice to look at and traveling by water taxi / gondola is a novelty but you wouldn’t want a week there, long weekend tops...not enough variety.

The best thing about belgium is the beer

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

Brussels is dullsville.

Venice is one of those bucketlist places, it’s so unique. It’s one of the few places I’d forgive for being overrun with tourists. I’ve seen it once and I wouldn’t go back; but I don’t regret going there. I’d highly recommend to someone they go there once.

SSSShhh people that live in dublin think its better than new york or tokyo

For a tourist dublin isnt too bad as long as you know where to go

Do they? I sure as hell don't

(It's better than mucksville though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

The best thing about belgium is the beer

No it's not. There beer is ****e other than a couple of famous stong beers. Other than that nothing special other than Stella. The Fatherlands product is far superior.

Do they? I sure as hell don't

(It's better than mucksville though)

Id say a tourist could get a good two authentic days out of dublin

Mulbert wrote: »
    No it's not. There beer is ****e other than a couple of famous stong beers. Other than that nothing special other than Stella. The Fatherlands product is far superior.

There are a good shot of nice belgium beers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Hyderabad in India, a place I’ve had the misfortune to visit on several occasions.

The filth and the grinding poverty is horrific. My mood on my first trip there wasn’t helped by the fact that I expended a lot of energy ensuring that I was close to a bathroom at all times. Happy memories!

Hamachi wrote: »
    Hyderabad in India, a place I’ve had the misfortune to visit on several occasions.

The filth and the grinding poverty is horrific. My mood on my first trip there wasn’t helped by the fact that I expended a lot of energy ensuring that I I was close to a bathroom at all times. Happy memories!

That actually sounds exciting but not interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,840 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d say four days... there are some good tours, daytrips as well as the city stuff.

I’d say four days... there are some good tours, daytrips as well as the city stuff.

Ok but are you heading in to Wicklow then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭Hamachi

That actually sounds exciting but not interesting

Certainly recommended if you’re looking to lose weight quickly.

I returned looking like I’d done a stint in Auschwitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

If we had the weather Ireland would be my favourite place ever. I still love and appreciate Ireland but the climate ruins alot of potentially great days out like festivals, outdoor weddings etc. We've an amazing coastline but it's freezing and too cold to enjoy most of the year.

Murcia is another boring city. Aside from the cathedral there's nothing to do, there's no beach or a nice park even. Grim.

There are a good shot of nice belgium beers

Yes but it's not the reason belgium is well know as the op was talking about. Plus Belgium is .....

Mulbert wrote: »

Haven’t stayed in Belgium except for a day trip to Bruges which I highly enjoyed whilst holidaying in France. But I have to say a Belgium bar in Dubai with excellent Leffe kept me sane when I needed it. For that reason I will always highly regard Belgium beer!

Hamachi wrote: »
    Certainly recommended if you’re looking to lose weight quickly.

I returned looking like I’d done a stint in Auschwitz.

Seems to be in northern India. Somebody told me before to avoid northern India

Zaney wrote: »
    Haven’t stayed in Belgium except for a day trip to Bruges which I highly enjoyed whilst holidaying in France. But I have to say a Belgium bar in Dubai with excellent Leffe kept me sane when I needed it. For that reason I will always highly regard Belgium beer!

Leffe is a nice beer

Yes leffe is great, strong and one of there most famous exports.

Seems to be in northern India. Somebody told me before to avoid northern India

India is a challenge and the only time I went there it was 5 star all the way but it was amazing. We traveled the golden triangle and then the far north. One of the best travelling experiences of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭4Ad

Been to Barcelona twice and I like the place but a little overrated...

Llandudno is beyond grim, I just had time to kill there but considered killing myself there...

Llandudno, the place that time forgot ! I got off the train on a friday evening, everyone I met had a can in hand and were incapable of speaking, no aggression at all just very drunk.
    Got on a bus to Betys- y- Coed, I dont think I've met a nicer/ frindlier bus driver !!

I still dont like Croatia..

I got abuse off a Ozzie in NZ for not visiting Australia..
    I was saying 'you are the reason I wont and never will visit'...didn't go down to well..

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Ireland's pretty awesome really isn't it

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Stevanage and Holyhead were probably the worst.

I didn't really like Dubai. It all just seemed so fake. Better than Bahrain though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

Belgium's alright. It has decent night life and bar culture, certainly in Brussels and Antwerp anyway.

Also in local bars you can just wander in and prop up the bar without any issue be it with beer or coffee, as long as you can speak French in Brussels or grasp some degree of Flemish in Flanders. They're pretty sociable.

I found France can often be very boring and increasingly cold. I know it well and for most of my teenage years too. Everyone seems to go to bed early and the nightlife is not that conducive to hanging out. Everything revolved around going to people's houses and having a circle of people to hang out with. If you are new to the place, it's very hard to break into it. Once you do it's ok though. You'll make seriously good and long lasting friendships, but just don't expect to be having the bants in a bar with strangers. It's just not done. Once you get to know people though, you're practically treated like family.

Spain's fantastic and I don't mean the tacky tourist bits. I lived in Northern Spain and it's just got a great ambience and you can head out and everyone's extremely friendly and up for being sociable and not at all unwilling to chat once you have even any kind of grasp of Spanish - enough to hold some kind of of conversation. Even 'ould ones' on the Metro in Madrid will strike up conversation at random with people just out of boredom. I've had conversations with people 3 tables away from me on rural trains too.

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    Dortmund is up there.

I also found Howth to be incredibly underwhelming when I visited... I grew up on the west coast, beautiful scenery etc.. I just thought it didn't deserve the amount of Tourists it was getting in comparison to some other places in Ireland.

It's all personal preference.

I’d much prefer Howth to lahinch. I prefer the cliffs there to the cliffs of moher, not least because you can generally see the sea.

Yes. Or more. You could even get two good days out of cork. Or more. Both are good city breaks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

School bus tours in my youth were rarely a good experience but the bog of allen took the biscuit, literally sat in a peat dust bowl to eat our packed lunch. I'm mighty surprised it wasn't mentioned already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Not much happening in Darwin. Went there about 2 or 3 years ago on, I think it was a Thursday and to return the following Monday. I remember Monday morning we drove to the airport to ask at the desk if there were any earlier flights we could catch instead of our evening flight as we found ourselves just driving around to random places to kill time. Our mistake was probably more that we stayed too long there as you could literally do everything in 2-3 days. This was mainly crocodile spotting/feeding tours and maybe a trip to the national parks outside of Darwin.

Other than that, it’s basically just one street (Mitchell St.) with a few shops, pubs, restaurants and a small park. The worst part is that it’s always stinking hot and humid but you can’t go near any of the beaches as it’s infested with either crocs, sharks or box jellyfish It’s a shame as the beaches there are nice so it’s a bit of a tease. Wouldn’t be in a hurry to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Holyhead, possibly the worst town I have ever been.

I found Boston a bit of a letdown, but I was living in NY at the time so it was pale by comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

New Zealand, Vienna, Malmo, Norway, Bratislava... what in the flying f**k are these places being mentioned for

If you find any of them boring that's mostly on you. Queenstown is one of the best towns its size anywhere on Earth and that's just one place in NZ.

Advertisement