Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince Philip Dies - mod warning in OP. Read it or get yourself threadbanned

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

What time is the removal on at?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Wonder how they will pick the 10 people for his funeral?
    Pity he didn't hang on till Monday, he could have had 25.

wont be buried till after monday so he'll get his 25 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

robinph wrote: »
    Boris Johnson could have brushed his hair, he's surely had a few extra minutes notice of the news to have smartened himself up a bit.

The silly hair is a key part of his media image.

who honestly gives a hoot ?

old man dies at 99 " ohh shocker "

When someone noteworthy dies, it's news. When someone like you dies, it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It takes them weeks to bury people in England, for some reason.

Anyway, RIP. He had a good innings and a fascinating backstory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I'd be pretty pissed to die at 99...only a few weeks away from 100.

I am sure he died years ago but was hushed up to stop Middle England from completely imploding while Brexit was pushed through.

"Weekend at Bernies" job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,937 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Thatcher's anniversary yesterday, today this news. National Day of something or another required.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Smee_Again wrote: »
    What does this mean?

The different code words agreed with broadcasters and for all the pre planning of funerals and such like.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,238 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I liked Philip. He seemed a bit of craic.

RIP.

Yeah he was a tough old cookie alright. Fascinating life, real rags to riches story about him.

But his inappropriate quotes were hilarious.

As Royals go he was fairly entertaining alright.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Be interesting to see how Piers Morgan pins this on Megan Markle.
    That's not even a joke.

"I have no doubt that the shameful behaviour and baseless accusations fired against his beloved family by Meghan Markhel contributed greatly to the Prince's ill-health over the last year and had she not been engaged in such a violent attack against the Royal Family, his royal highness would still be here to celebrate his 100th birthday in June."

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Great age. Looked rather shook in his most recent photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,434 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Met him once years ago at a military thing, seemed like a nice enough chap who took time to shake hands and chat with the lads. We were all waiting for him to say something controversial but alas he didn't stray off into ranting about anything.

R.I.P to him, man worked hard while always living in the shadow of his wife/family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

I'd be pretty pissed to die at 99...only a few weeks away from 100.

I am sure he died years ago but was hushed up to stop Middle England from completely imploding while Brexit was pushed through.

"Weekend at Bernies" job.

he was hollowed out and that guy who played gollum wore him like a suit

robinph wrote: »
    Doubt it will be as long as for Diana, he was 99 after all and not exactly unexpected. There will be longer spent for The Queen in another couple of years though, although that then gets followed by a coronation to cheer things up a bit.

They have been gearing up for this for years. Nothing like a good wedding and a good funeral.

Unfortunately I live in England so it's going to be radio & TV off for the next few days. I can't stand the fawning. I suppose it will be a welcome break from Covid coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

:D:D unless he converted to Islam I doubt the funeral will be before Monday :D:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

May he RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

RIP Phil the Greek. Didn't get the whole PC thing. Harmless enough from the outside, but he did have a habit with losing the rag with photographers and a driver who was faffing about on some parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

nullzero wrote: »
    Led a great life at the expense of the British taxpayer.

Didn't take WWN long. Must have had it in the pipeline the last 15 years
    Greek Immigrant Who Lived Off Welfare Dies In England
    April 9, 2021 - BREAKING NEWS, WORLD NEWS

1280x960_90111P00-LQYBT.jpg

ONE of England’s most notorious welfare cheats has died at the age of 99, WWN can report.

Hailed as hero among the welfare cheating classes of Britain, it is believe the Greek born welfare king has made millions out of his schemes and funded his lavish lifestyle which included castles, yachts and cars, all on the taxpayer’s dime.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭dontmindme

WTF...every BBC radio channel programme interrupted and now running a programme on the death of Philip??
    Seems like total overkill and an attempt to try and put the monarchy back on some sort of pedestal where in reality half the country couldn't really give a fk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Northernlily

**Breaking News**

Old man dies. In fairness, I think everyone was prepared for this one. Royal template banners and pictures were up lively across the news channels. Boris had the black tie on in a shot.

Boris also will be delighted it takes global focus off a escalating domestic problem in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Going to be a bit awkward for Harry and Meghan at the funeral!
    I'd imagine this has been planned for and will be used to full advantage for the Megs and Harry brand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Going to be a bit awkward for Harry and Meghan at the funeral!

Will they have to self-isolate for 10 days (or whatever the recommended time is there) when they get back??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

dontmindme wrote: »
    WTF...every BBC radio channel programme interrupted and now running a programme on the death of Philip??
    Seems like total overkill and an attempt to try and put the monarchy back on some sort of pedestal where in reality half the country couldn't really give a fk.

There won’t be any scheduled programming in BBC for the next week

• Registered Users Posts: 40,211 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the same thing on both BBC channels. If this means that Headhunters won't be shown I'll be really pissed.

Word emerging is that is it was autoerotic asphyxiation and found in a less than dignifying position.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They have been gearing up for this for years. Nothing like a good wedding and a good funeral.

Unfortunately I live in England so it's going to be radio & TV off for the next few days. I can't stand the fawning. I suppose it will be a welcome break from Covid coverage.

There is a lot more media available now that you can escape to listen/ watch something else. Back when Diana died it was getting very dull listening to Elton John on the radio in work after two weeks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

I think there is also an earthquake happening in California....

Oh nope... just Maggie and H shaking at the thoughts of having to go back.....

Can she fly when pregnant?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Funny old fella, pity he didn't reach one hundred.
    I'd imagine this has been planned for and will be used to full advantage for the Megs and Harry brand

They can produce a Netflix show on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Smee_Again wrote: »
    What does this mean?

There are plans in place for how announcements about the deaths of various members of the Royal Family are handled.

The code phrase "London Bridge is down" is how the death of the Queen will be announced, and Operation London Bridge will be put into place.

Prince Philip's "Bridge" was Forth bridge, so the plans tat are being followed now are all to do with Operation Forth Bridge.

Operation Tay bridge, which was for the Queen Mother was used as the Basis for Princess Diana's death

Advertisement