Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romania - bear chases skier, again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

biko wrote: »
    The attack on March 9 is the second time in a few weeks that wild bears have chased skiers at the Predeal ski resort in the Brașov region of Romania.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9351209/Bear-charges-ski-instructor-Romanian-mountain-resort.html

40347840-9351209-image-a-28_1615481310038.jpg

Lived and married ( ex)a lady from BV , travelling there since early 90s,this happens lower down mostly when hungry bears go down to rob the bins,Brasov surrounded by mountain and forests has hundreds of bear,Lynx,wolves etc etc, beautiful spot,well worth a visit

Predeal is mile's away from the city of Brasov,which has its own ski slopes minutes from the city centre a much better option for visitors

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To be fair it gives the bears some good exercise chasing after puffy jacket eejits on planks and the bears were there first. Romania can be wild I believe. I knew a Romanian woman years back who grew up in a small enough town surrounded by forest and said forests were full of bear and lynx and wolves. All apparently harmless enough so long as you didn't act the maggot. The wolves would sometimes come into town on bin raids. Never any trouble other than that. In Ireland it's easy to forget how not very wild this place is.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

Wibbs wrote: »
    To be fair it gives the bears some good exercise chasing after puffy jacket eejits on planks and the bears were there first. Romania can be wild I believe. I knew a Romanian woman years back who grew up in a small enough town surrounded by forest and said forests were full of bear and lynx and wolves. All apparently harmless enough so long as you didn't act the maggot. The wolves would sometimes come into town on bin raids. Never any trouble other than that. In Ireland it's easy to forget how not very wild this place is.

You tube Brasov bear's and you'll see the poor beggars robbing bins, transylvania is being stripped of their hardwood forests since I started going there,thus pushing animals out of their habitat-large german companies bribing officials for decades-poiana Bravos is a ski resort that is there' many many years ,hitrks js etc-so a better option for those conscious of wildlife ( as in it's established ) unlike predeal which is rural and really does affect the wildlife ,so poiana is the best to choose-romania is still vv corrupt and wildlife is way down the chain, officially native forests are protected but it's total false

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I was in Bulgaria in 1986 or 1987 and remember poor bears being led around the beaches on chains wearing little outfits etc.
    Think it's illegal now. I hope this random bear chasing doesn't lead to culling of the poor bears.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Wibbs wrote: »
    I knew a Romanian woman years back who grew up in a small enough town surrounded by forest and said forests were full of bear and lynx and wolves. All apparently harmless enough so long as you didn't act the maggot.

Just don't act the maggot in front of a blackbird.

549649.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

would pay good money just to see that

like back in roman times > christians & lions

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

fryup wrote: »
    like back in roman times > christians & lions
    That's something easy to forget; we had lions in eastern Europe until around 1000AD. The ancient Greeks would have had lions roaming about when they were around. Mad.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

They should make it a thing like the running of the bulls, downhill skiing pursued by bears. (Im not good with coming up with snappy names)
    Thats a sport I'd watch.

Advertisement