Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have your ever done a DNA test? What were your results?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

trixi001 wrote: »
    My Dads DNA - very proud of this - 100% Irish

My own - shows 23% Scottish - must come from my mum's side

I have traced my family tree - and all the way back to early/mid 1800 all live within about 10 mile of where I was born!

My Dads DNA

ZJiUhfc.jpg

My DNA

Q79M2ap.jpg

Is your mum part Ulster Scots?

There would be some logic to it though.

My Donegal grandmother’s family have some very far back links to the Scottish islands it seems, which seems to have possibly been a direct link from Donegal.

When you think about the map, they’re not all that far away and I would suspect those communities were in touch more than we tend to assume based on political history rather than just how people moved about, particularly when you consider that Gaelic speakers have to have been connected at some point not that far back - it’s more or less the same language. There’s also a more recent linkage which is via Glasgow & the US.

Yes Islay is visible from here. I would imagine my own scots percentage is a mix of gallowglass and lowland scots. Most here, even Ulster Irish would probably have a chunk of gallowglass, I would think.

But your connection is more recent than Gallowglass for it to show up in the Genetic communities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Yes Islay is visible from here. I would imagine my own scots percentage is a mix of gallowglass and lowland scots. Most here, even Ulster Irish would probably have a chunk of gallowglass, I would think.

But your connection is more recent than Gallowglass for it to show up in the Genetic communities.

There was a lot of movement and migration in both directions, you’ll likely see it, particularly in coastal areas with big ports etc

It’s interesting, in the sense that it can often contrast with what might be accepted political histories and so on. People always moved around and a lot of who won what battle or who was in power can sometimes be another layer of history that doesn’t necessarily reflect day to day reality.

I remember talking to someone about how there’s significant links for example between Cork and South Wales / SW England due to trade routes and also into NW France. Dublin goes all over the place due to having been a signifiant port city, especially older parts of the city centre itself.

I wouldn’t get caught up on it though myself. I’d wonder a little about the accuracy of the profile and also I deleted it after I started getting bombarded with some quite odd messages, mostly from Americans claiming to be my 9th cousin or something lol.

There’s a fine line between it being interesting and then a borderline creepy DNA based Facebook...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

Is your mum part Ulster Scots?

Not that we ever knew of, and i know religion isn't a guarantee of whether or not someone is Ulster Scots, but my all 8 of my mum's great grandparents were Catholic as are the 11 gg grandparents who we have identified (or at least their weddings, baptisms or funerals were all in Catholic churches!)

There was so much migration between Ireland & Scotland that who knows though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

"I just though it was quite cool to see that I’ve relatives in China who are actually Chinese and some in Latin America too."

That's cool.
    Fertile missionaries maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

My one said 100% Irish, even narrowing it down to South West Munster. SW Munster is very accurate.

My partner got her mother one for Christmas one year and we were joking about skeletons in the closet. It turned out the DNA test uncovered a first cousin that had been given up for adoption that nobody knew about.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Mullinabreena

It's something I have a lot if interest in but I don't like the idea of some company having my DNA. Although my Sister did one so i guess it doesn't matter anymore. But on my mother's side I was able to trace back to my grand parents grand parents(Great Great Grandparents) the same on my father's side but I also traced my Great Great Great Grandfather. Only 40km between them all in Co. Sligo. On my sisters DNA test with my heritage, I'm not sure what test she did but the results were 100% Irish. Specifically north Connacht. So I'm probably a bit inbred :)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Mullinabreena

That's right - Beaker People migrating onto the island with steppe DNA replaced around 90% of the population of neolithic Britain in the space of a 100 years.
    I have read in a few places the neolithic people who were here before the arrival of the Celts/Beaker probably looked more like someone from Sardinia today. I think the DNA of a neolithic woman in the North backed this theory up, others will say one sallow doesn't make a summer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Found my birth father’s family, a half sister, a whole clatter of cousins as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

I have read in a few places the neolithic people who were here before the arrival of the Celts/Beaker probably looked more like someone from Sardinia today. I think the DNA of a neolithic woman in the North backed this theory up, others will say one sallow doesn't make a summer.

Sardinia doesn't seem to have been hit by the wave of steppe dna originating from the Yamnaya culture. So there may have been similarities of neolithic Ireland and Britain to them. Before the Bronze Age there were different parts of Europe that had different levels of mixture of dna from western hunter gatherers and early european farmers. Some more or less of either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm a professional genealogist and interested to see this thread outside the genealogy forum.

Unfortunately, ethnicity results are only guaranteed accurate on a continental level at this stage.

The sort of reports you see above from Ancestry DNA where they show counties are derived from the people you match and their user-imputed family trees, ergo, you can't rely on them.

I have no doubt that this science will improve in the years to come.

My own ethnicity shows no evidence of my overwhelming Dublin ancestry, nor my confirmed relatively recent Welsh ancestor.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hi_thur_folks

Genuine question
    My mother is adopted my father is not on the scene (don’t know much about his backround bar Scottish v far back)
    My mother’s birth mother is also adopted
    My mother’s birth father is ahem unknown
    What test could I do to find out something f’ing concrete about myself

You could do an autosomal DNA test and take a look for close matches, then talk to them to work out where you might fit in their tree.
    For your father's side, you could also look at Y DNA, but it probably wouldn't give you a lot of detail.

If you were taking a test, I would also recommend talking to your mother first to make sure she's ok with you possibly uncovering something about her birth parents. Also, speaking to a trained social worker or counsellor would be useful too. This kind of stuff can be very emotional.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Here's my result from my heritage..
    I find this stuff fascinating.
    I matched with come of my grandmother's family who came from mayo who now live in the States, they sent me some impressive family trees! I now know 5 generations that side, it was very nice as my grandmother lost contact with this family due to being in industrial schools.
    My Dublin links I know but the rest is still a mystery!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Melzea

Only 1% will have an all irish dna result
    As most of irish dna is mixed
    All my relatives have different colour eyes and hair so there is french spanish irish viking etc

Most dna tests are not that accurate
    And different company's will have different results
    If they are giving out dna tests that say your all irish they have not got enough samples in the database there would have to be in breeding somewhere to be 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I can only speak for myself but I have no interest in doing a DNA test. I am more interested in where I am going, than where my ancestors have been.

Sure, it might be a little bit cool to see oh I am 4% Dutch etc. But it would just be a passing moment and I wouldnt really care.

Melzea wrote: »
    Only 1% will have an all irish dna result
    As most of irish dna is mixed
    All my relatives have different colour eyes and hair so there is french spanish irish viking etc

Most dna tests are not that accurate
    And different company's will have different results
    If they are giving out dna tests that say your all irish they have not got enough samples in the database there would have to be in breeding somewhere to be 100%

Are you sure about that? I have a lot of 95%+ Irish matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I'm a professional genealogist and interested to see this thread outside the genealogy forum.

Unfortunately, ethnicity results are only guaranteed accurate on a continental level at this stage.

The sort of reports you see above from Ancestry DNA where they show counties are derived from the people you match and their user-imputed family trees, ergo, you can't rely on them.

I have no doubt that this science will improve in the years to come.

My own ethnicity shows no evidence of my overwhelming Dublin ancestry, nor my confirmed relatively recent Welsh ancestor.

That’s what I suspected. It crowdsourced data.

He’s talking about genetic communities. Your actual dna results are based on SNP’s (your dna) and how well your SNP’s match with the reference population. So that will be accurate. Otherwise you wouldn’t have differences between siblings and parents.

Genetic communities are based on the frequency of certain places appearing within your matches family trees.

Yes, but the reference population only tells you about who lives in a place now, not how people 200 years ago were made it.

We can have this discussion till the cows come home, but it won't change the result. At the moment, ethnicity results are just a fun guide and you can't take anything seriously from them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

The discussion has turned away from the aim of the thread which was to see people's results.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

pinkypinky wrote: »
    They can be quite geographically accurate within that. An average Southern Italian is going show differences to a Swede, or an Irish person. A Japanese subtle differences to a Chinese or Viet. In Africa with her incredibly genetic diversity even more populations can be discerned. Hell they can even track geographical differences in extinct archaic human populations. IE a Spanish Neandertal is going to show subtle local differences when compared to a German one. Though I agree 100% that level of detail is not going to come from the Ancestry type places. They're far more aimed at New World American populations and customers eager to show they're [insert nation here]-American and the results tend to reflect that.

I've never taken a full genetics test and no way in hell would I give what amounts to my instruction manual to a commercial company where it could easily affect things like health insurance etc. And this is only the early days, fast forward twenty years and things could get worrying.

That said I know a geneticist(who held the same attitude to these commercial tests) and he did test me for archaic human stuff and it turned out I have quite high Neandertal admixture, especially for Ireland as we tend to have low levels here(contrary to 19th century English Punch cartoons). The interesting thing about that stuff is you could have ten people in a room with say 2% Neandertal admixture, but they could all have slightly different sequences. Asians and Europeans have very different sequences. And these are genes coding for actual traits, like blood clotting, immune system stuff. It's spread pretty wide throughout the modern human genome. Some populations have some even earlier archaic genes going on, like Homo Erectus stuff. It does show how incredibly complex our human story is and incredibly fascinating with it. The are you French, or Italian, or Irish is but the tip of the iceberg. There's the example of the stone age skeleton dug up in England(Cheddar gorge?) and when they sequenced the genes from the long dead person they found a living genetic connection to a local schoolteacher bloke. I mean, WTF? :D How cool is that?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The discussion has turned away from the aim of the thread which was to see people's results.

I'm just curious but what are you hoping to achieve in this thread that you didn't in the various threads you posted in in the Genealogy forum?

Genealogy Forum Mod

An interesting thread OP :)

I would like to take one of those tests. I think there may be Eastern European blood floating about in me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

547738.jpg

Happy with this, as it also alligns quite accurately with our family tree that goes back centuries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

According to 23and me I have higher Neanderthal DNA than 99% of the people in their database, either their algorithm is off or it's because I'm from Donegal. One of these is more likely than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DaveyWaveyLad

I have blond hair, Blue eyes, fair complexion and my kids the same. We can trace our family tree back to the 1830 era in County Clare. Sent off my DNA sample to MyHeritage and was extremely surprised to see 1.3% Nigerian. They must be using average or statistical data to come up with Nigerian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I have blond hair, Blue eyes, fair complexion and my kids the same. We can trace our family tree back to the 1830 era in County Clare. Sent off my DNA sample to MyHeritage and was extremely surprised to see 1.3% Nigerian. They must be using average or statistical data to come up with Nigerian.

I think they sometimes go for a best fit for any genetic sequence that doesn't align to the database, you may have some very old African ancestry (that wouldn't have any impact on physical appearance at this stage) or something else that they can match closest to Nigerian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

1% Native American! Explains my love of teepees! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I did the ancestry one but under a fake name.
    100% irish with a high focus on monaghan, Leitrim and cork which is where my grandparents are from. Seems that for generations they did no breeding outside their own parish.

I logged in to my ancestry account for the first time in about 18 months and it seems I have gone from 100% irish to 92% irish, 5% Scottish and 3% welsh.

Fcking Welsh. I dont deserve that.

Advertisement