Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you similar in real life to your online personality?

• 16-03-2021 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,843 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd be fairly in really life to my views on here and other social media sites. I use my real name for other social media sites. I'd be honest with the majority of people about my views and interests.

I think a lot of users here are similar. There are clearly fake accounts with people having an online personality here and other social media sites. One here would really stand out to me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm probably more extroverted on Facebook than I am in real life. On here, I'm probably pretty similar to how I am in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I'm more brave, talkative and outspoken on the internet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

I'd be fairly in really life to my views on here and other social media sites. I use my real name for other social media sites. I'd be honest with the majority of people about my views and interests.

I think a lot of users here are similar. There are clearly fake accounts with people having an online personality here and other social media sites. One here would really stand out to me.

I don't like moderators. Both here and in real life.

Btw who's the user who stands out. Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

On the desktop version of Boards. Go into any username and ‘Find more posts’. On the left hand side you’ll see everyone’s passions in running order. I don’t think you’ll find two users the same but someone might prove me wrong. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,843 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

ulster wrote: »
    I don't like moderators. Both here and in real life.

Btw who's the user who stands out. Haha

I really doubt I can name them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,658 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Pretty close.

Not sure. I'm probably more polite offline, but offline I'd never hang out with someone I didn't think was sound.

When online, you meet people whom you'd never interact with. That's a good thing, but will inevitably lead to clashes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'm just a sexy boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Exactly the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

My penis is bigger in real life. Yes ladies I’m accepting pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think that's a really interesting question.

Am I? Well, I dunno. Sometimes I'm completely authentic, and other times I play devils advocate.

I think mostly I'm authentic.

But the question is more about the 'type' of personality you are here in comparison to what you are like in real life.

I would say personally I'm non-argumentative in real life. So maybe from my profile here one might think I'm a 'strongly opinionated' type, but I'm not in real life. I think I'm far more open-minded than some ppl here give me credit for. Particularly on some really 'touchy' subjects.

I think the beauty of online discussion forums is you can test ppl, probe them to see if they really mean what they say, and it's kinda fun to detect posters who have some militant angle on any particular topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I just talk about food all the time and writing. Same as real life.
    Pepper in some complaining and a few lame jokes and that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Yes, I am like I present; in fact, even worse. Sincere, logical, ruthless but respectful.

I'm really a soppy old softie inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Probably more right-wing in real life. Can't even deny the Holocaust these days without the woke people after you. And good luck referring to the blacks and all the trouble they cause...#BLM people would be hounding me.

Just joking. Honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PetitPois89

I'd say most people have a different "online" persona, I freely admit I do. That's the beauty of boards. Plus as somebody already mentioned, you get to interact with people that you wouldn't normally, which is great.

I am much more articulate, opinionated and argumentative online. Much more introverted offline.

I'm direct in all contexts, and this has the added benefit of separating the wheat from the chaff immediately. Like to know where I stand with people early on to remove narcissists, flakes and spoofers from my orbit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’d probably be a bit more forceful with my opinions on here. My opinions would be the same but I’d more more inclined to drop things in real life but be that more persistent with my feelings online, especially if you get into a back and forth with another user. I don’t find that happens too regularly IRL, people usually just say their bit and then the conversation peters off into “sure that’s it”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Definitely with this account but the other ones I try to see what sort of reactions I get with a far right POV and then swap to a far left but more importantly I have more hair and freckles in real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I think im easy going both here and offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

KungPao wrote: »
    Probably more right-wing in real life. Can't even deny the Holocaust these days without the woke people after you. And good luck referring to the blacks and all the trouble they cause...#BLM people would be hounding me.

Just joking. Honest.

;:D

• Advertisement

I am as I am. My opinions in 'real life' are a little more moderated depending on the company yet they remain the same. I find it difficult to engage with a person if I dislike them, both on here and out there. That's something I'm working on though because I have a tendency to dislike based on nothing more than a feeling.

I think I might be a tiny bit quieter when I first meet you compared to on here, that's a defense mechanism possibly because I'm trying to figure you out before I relax. Something else I've been working on.

I'm the same. I must be a bit strange because I always assumed everyone was (bar Nigerian princes) :D
    I wonder how many people have completely different online personas :eek: (and why)?

Actually, I think my last account tried very hard to be liked and accepted. That's stuff leftover from teenage years and issues aside its very nice to feel you belong. I am far more myself now in every respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Yes

Mules wrote: »
    I'm the same. I must be a bit strange because I always assumed everyone was (bar Nigerian princes) :D
    I don't see the point in being different online to offline. I wonder how many people have completely different online personas :eek:

Oh you would be surprised. This place is a haven for pretense. There is something so seductive for some in creating a completely fantastical persona.

Oh you would be surprised. This place is a haven for pretense. There is something so seductive for some in creating a completely fantastical persona.

I had no idea, it's strange that it never occurred to me. Maybe because I became an adult before the internet or does age have no bearing on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I don't voice my opinions on anything offline, people aren't worth arguing with so I keep myself and my opinions to myself.

But I don't have much of an online personality, boards is the only general forum I use, I don't do twitter, reddit or facebook or anything really.

Mules wrote: »
    I had no idea, it's strange that that never occurred to me. Maybe because I became an adult before the internet or does age have any bearing on it?

I don't know really. I remember years ago (I'm 39) using chatrooms and coming across men who claimed all sorts. I instinctively knew all was not necessarily as it may seem, that they may have been predatory or just full of shìt.
    I had the same sense here but not aimed at anyone in particular. So I could definitely see how someone could pretend and why they would but at the same time I was rubbish at picking them out.

I'd like to think I'm as witty, argumentative and judgemental as I am in real life as I am on here. The ideal boardsie, if you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Irl I've a bit of a dry sense of humour & can be sarcastic at times. I don't think sarcasm transfers well online so I tend to never try it.

I'm definitely very vocal with my opinions offline but again, its not something I do online.

Think its because I don't come online for any heavy debates. I just want to find something funny to 'thank'.

I don't like a troll. I think it a disgusting trait to have. To intentionally wind people up for a reaction. Anyone who acts like that for their own satisfaction without any consideration for who is on the receiving end, is just a bully imo.
    Irl i'd pull them up on it. Online, I'd simply try ignore it if anything came my way (It hasn't yet thankfully).

So I suppose I am different. But not so different that I'm trying to put on any kind of an act. Couldnt be arsed with that carry on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I'd like to think I'm as witty, argumentative and judgemental as I am in real life as I am on here. The ideal boardsie, if you will.

'boards.ie me' would call you a smug, well-chuffed toffer

'real world me' would... yeah...probably call you a smug, well-chuffed toffer, 'if you will.'

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Never heard of you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

I try to keep things bland and non-controversial online, to the point of seeming stupid. In real life, I'm open to discussions around politics and current affairs, but it gets a bit pointless getting in random arguments online. I prefer to only use Boards/Reddit for fun and the occasional opportunity to earn money because there's a chance someone could find my account and figure out it's me.

I recently found an acquaintance's Reddit account because he had used his own name on it and started posting in a sub asking for career advice. Everyone was able to look up his previous comments calling anyone he didn't agree with a Communist/Nazi, and accidentally claiming to be a black man. (He is extremely white.) There were also some threads where he insisted posters were self-righteous POS for following lockdown rules because "COVID didn't do me any harm".

When lockdown ends, I'll have to track his da down and have a chat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Irl I've a bit of a dry sense of humour & can be sarcastic at times. I don't think sarcasm transfers well online so I tend to never try it.

I'm definitely very vocal with my opinions offline but again, its not something I do online.

Think its because I don't come online for any heavy debates. I just want to find something funny to 'thank'.

I don't like a troll. I think it a disgusting trait to have. To intentionally wind people up for a reaction. Anyone who acts like that for their own satisfaction without any consideration for who is on the receiving end, is just a bully imo.
    Irl i'd pull them up on it. Online, I'd simply try ignore it if anything came my way (It hasn't yet thankfully).

So I suppose I am different. But not so different that I'm trying to put on any kind of an act. Couldnt be arsed with that carry on

+1

guitarzero wrote: »
    'boards.ie me' would call you a smug, well-chuffed toffer

'real world me' would... yeah...probably call you a smug, well-chuffed toffer, 'if you will.'

:D

Harsh, but fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Very similar I think.

I talk about things on here that interest me or grab my attention in real life and don't think I express any opinion on here that I wouldn't do in real life but obviously wouldn't be as forthright in some more contentious topics in real life as you still have to work or engage with people or whatever and there isn't an ignore button or a mod to come and keep things in order.

I often wonder about the overlap moments that must have happened between people on here who don't know that they know each other in real life. Surely there's some where they get on fine in real life, but always at each others throats here, or vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I'm definitely a little less inhibited on Boards than I am in real life, and i moan and complain a lot more often on Boards also than I do in real life :D Offline I'm a bit too nice for my own good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Yea when I do one of my hilarious quips, randomers walk up to me and thank me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

I'm just as forthright in real life which leads to a lot of gendered insults coming my way, so I'm usually called "shrill," "bossy," or worst of all, a "Karen." People are threatened by outspoken, opinionated women whether it is offline and online.

I'm also the victim of a lot of reverse classism: I am from an upper middle-class background with a plummy South Dublin accent so my opinions regarding the plight of the working mxn are usually rejected by the kind of people who think drinking wine is snooty or who grew up in homes where people smoked indoors.

Despite the fact that my views on the elite and the ultra-wealthy are generally more progressive than theirs are my thought are often dismissed out of hand because of my perceived "affluent" lifestyle. It's just jealousy.

I'm honest about my life but online you encounter people that face to face I would just walk away from and not bother trying to reason with

Humour and tone is harder online as well I think. I get accused of being angry in threads when I'm actually fine and dandy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I'm more of a debater in real life, on here I don't mind an argument.
    I have the exact same triggers in real life though
    - public money being wasted
    - disrespect for the rules of the road (by all road users even though I am all of pedestrian/cyclist/occasional car user)
    - our parks being wrecked after a fine day and general fly tipping / rubbish problems.
    - people who just want to complain about everything, or blame somebody else for everything - life isn't perfect and some people want to take zero personal responsibility.
    - insurance fraud and ridiculous pay outs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

This may surprise you, but I'm not actually a human-turned-insect.

much much darker sense of humour offline

Tend to be more private and keep people more at arms length offline,to point most my mates dunno where i work,or what exactly i do (its all v.boring mind,)

I have no time for capitalism online and I have even less time for it offline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Cheesey Cheese Hood Cheese

im the same, always the same

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes indeed. Very much so. The Boardsies who know me and have met me in person can attest to that. :)

Too much energy involved in creating an online “persona.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Vast majority of people are not the same in real life. Online people can hide behind their keyboard, become more confrontational, say mad stuff, the list goes on.

But I've learned in life that if you want to hear lies ask the average person to describe themselves. Which is what the op did :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Very aware of the irony of posting this directly after B.A.B's response above, but online me is pretty much offline me - food, books, petty rants.

Tbh, I could probably do with being a bit more equivocal. My original account got doxxed and I'm pretty sure this one has been twigged by more than one person.

*Re-registers as Hide Lard*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭AlejGuzman68

I am the same online as I am in person. Even if certain posters confuse me with someone else they have dealt with.Sad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

In real life I’m a 3’7” nonagenarian Jamaican great grandmother.

• Advertisement
Advertisement