Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did your bully in secondary school turn out?

Options

Comments

She has a degenerative eye disease

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

This is it wrote: »
    I've a 5 year old and have wondered how I'd handle him being bullied. Obviously at the moment it would be tell a parent, teacher, adult, but in a few years that becomes more difficult. Do you tell him to throw a slap back and they should back off, or stick with making an adult aware.

At the end of the day, you need to stand up for yourself or you'll be walked all over in this life

will tell my son to never hit first but if hit , to hit back twice as hard , if the teachers attempt to throw the book at him , il support him even it means changing schools

I find it gas altogether that one of the responses to Mr Feg's post was of a bullying nature. Just plain mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,316 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A not very successful stand-up comedian. Seemed to think making fun of people made him funny and not just a ****. There was quite a big bullying problem in the school. A friend of mine hung himself and another guy who I would see on the train on the way in also killed himself. The headmaster had been particularly tough on the latter and his speech heavily stressed how the boy was 'sad' and how nobody is to blame. Another guy in my year killed himself just before the reunion.

I find it gas altogether that one of the responses to Mr Feg's post was of a bullying nature. Just plain mean.

Half of Mr Fegs threads are generally abuse..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

It will stop when people stop thanking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I like the dude. Plenty of his threads get replies. If we were waiting for some of the curtain twitchers and tut-tutters around here to create an interesting thread then the place would have closed up years ago.

They aren't.

My secondary school was really good for sorting bullying and never left it get serious,

Still hated it there mind,

but jesus some.stories ya hear of people being bullied are pure terrible :(

They aren't.

No, I meant him getting abuse for starting the thread..

• Advertisement

Bullying thought me a very simple lesson, some people are fùckers and some people are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I just looked up the class bully on Facebook.. He looks about 50, he’s only about 40/41, Every second photo is him in a Celtic shirt with a rake of pints in front of him. He didn’t give me much trouble but to a friend of mine he did certainly... because he was from a so called ‘disadvantaged’ background the teachers literally gave him a hall pass to do and get away with anything.

He stole my pencil case once and I accused him, the teacher told me to sit down, “Paul didn’t have it” only for it to fall out from under his jumper, “sorry I was just borrowing a pen”... “well Paul, you wait and ask, now I’m sure Mr. Strumms will lend you a pen”... me : “ I’m going to lend him fûck all the robbing swine” I was turfed out, my mother was called down, she was threatened with me being suspended despite having previously done little more than being caught talking ? “Suspend him ? You can apologize to him that’s about all you’ll be doing, otherwise I’ll be calling the Gardai, to report a theft, and the department to report you and Mr Daly for facilitating and carrying out bullying in this school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Strumms wrote: »
    Suspend him ? You can apologize to him that’s about all you’ll be doing, otherwise I’ll be calling the Gardai, to report a theft, and the department to report you and Mr Daly for facilitating and carrying out bullying in this school.

Checkmate Mammy Strumms.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

You know how in the movies the bully is always flawed with having underlying family and self-esteem issues and is always destined to a poor future as the nicer kids become successful through their niceness and smartness? Yeah the opposite of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭This is it

If that's directed at me I simply pointed out that going by many threads Mr F starts, they're often self depreciating, and going by what he seems to think, everyone is better off than him.

I don't know the chap, I don't know who's better off than him. If it was seen as a bullying comment, I apologise to Mr F, it certainly wasn't meant that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

i was bullied for being tall for my age and looking like a boy. I still face abuse over how I look so It never really stopped. I met them again a couple of years back; they turned out fine, I didn't. I'll admit that hurts a lot..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

wasnt bullied in school but was the victim of workplace bullying in my early twenties while overseas for the first time which had a profound effect at a very important age in a persons life , bully was a female which made it much more difficult to deal with , you cant physically deal with it and the boss is reluctant to do much for fear of the gender card getting played , relentless verbal abuse takes its toll long after you have departed the scene , the savage words stay in your mind and leave you doubting and second guessing yourself

its never a good idea to hang around with a verbal bully , they have a lot more badness and nastiness than you do so you really cant win , you can convince yourself you are giving as good as you get but while the viscous insults come naturally to them , you end up drained from the constant battles

some people just need to be avoided , especially sectarian bigots

I think there's a kind of distinction to be made too..I kind of see there being two types of bullying..

There's the one, where the generally damaged kid or whatever is just an overt bully that we are all aware of..

There's also a kind of communal bullying where you're just on the wrong side of a gang or whatever essentially.. Tends to be more subtle kind of, and maybe more damaging..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wasn't bullied or a bully so no direct experience of it. Looking back there were no overt bullies in my year at school so was lucky there. There may have been some "quiet" bullying going on, but I didn't see it at the time. There were a couple of lads who were a bit quiet all the way to odd, but they were left largely alone. Though social isolation is damaging of course. Of the only obvious bully types I've known in my life most did well enough in life from what I gathered.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I lamped this lovely fella who had been bullying me for nearly two years solid for just being quiet. I broke his jaw and my hand in the process.
    I was on the verge of being expelled from secondary school. Only for a few others who told the truth of why it happened,I may not have had the same life choices.
    I recognised him last year in a queue in a shop in front of me. He was buying a massive amount of drink. I found out later he has quite a love of the liquor and has been on the dole for the last ten years.

Sometimes in the cold weather my hand hurts but I don't hate him,I pity him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,499 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The school bully spent a very long time in a Big House in the Midlands, with one of the longest sentences in the State, although I believe he may have been released lately.
    I am not planning a reunion, although I am always happy to meet anyone else from my class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

He was shot dead around 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I went to secondary school with a guy who was a real bully. Not always in a physical way but he wasn't above this either. Typical GAA guy, loved himself, not bad looking so he knew the girls loved him and again, the teachers gave him a pass because he was good at GAA. He used to make horrible comments about other students and teachers, just generally not a nice person at all.

Didn't think of him at all until recently until I saw he was now the principal of a local secondary school, saw him on LinkedIn. I was thinking how ironic it was that this bully now was in charge of a whole school of children and no doubt dealing with parents regularly. I can only hope he has had a bit of emotional maturing in the last 20 or so years that he can see how damaging bullying is but I doubt this, people rarely change their inner personality. They may mask it for certain situations but they cant change it. How could he possibly deal with kids being bullied when he was one himself. I would never ever put my kids in that school.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I went to secondary school with a guy who was a real bully. Not always in a physical way but he wasn't above this either. Typical GAA guy, loved himself, not bad looking so he knew the girls loved him and again, the teachers gave him a pass because he was good at GAA. He used to make horrible comments about other students and teachers, just generally not a nice person at all.

Didn't think of him at all until recently until I saw he was now the principal of a local secondary school, saw him on LinkedIn. I was thinking how ironic it was that this bully now was in charge of a whole school of children and no doubt dealing with parents regularly. I can only hope he has had a bit of emotional maturing in the last 20 or so years that he can see how damaging bullying is but I doubt this, people rarely change their inner personality. They may mask it for certain situations but they cant change it. How could he possibly deal with kids being bullied when he was one himself. I would never ever put my kids in that school.

What the fûck is it with Irish schools and letting away the most lazy and useless and aggressive bullying twats with anything and everything, because they play and are good at GAA ?

I was friends with a guy right through secondary school who was representing the Irish soccer team at underage level, trials with Manchester United, Arsenal, Wolves, Coventry City and caps including Irish U16s then U18s team... think he may have ended up on Birmingham City’s books for a while after school without ever troubling the first 11 but he was a likable, friendly, easy going, well behaved guy. He was NOT academic but it wasn’t for the want of effort on his part, he was a tryer... if he got a shît mark in an exam the form teacher (a dyed in the wool GAA guy, whose son had made a couple of Dublin league panels) would belittle the fûck out of him in front of everyone, “yes and Sean you’d be better off quitting dreaming of Wembley and focus more on scoring an exam score.”

Same prick would probably be bragging now if had got straight D’s and a couple of fails but won an all Ireland medal... “ we set him up for that success, gave him his grounding “

• Registered Users Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

kowloon wrote: »
    I'm not sure it's a good idea to give out names anyway. ***, for instance, is being accused by someone anonymous and isn't here to defend himself. That's why I'm keeping the name of the stand-up comedian to myself.

Noble, and honourable, sir.

If the, original, “poster” had done the same I wouldn’t have said a word.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

I was bullied for my autism and had to switch schools. Also ended up bullied there.

The funny thing is that the bullies were smart and posh. They were racist too.

As you can expect, they turned out better than me.

F*&k them. Forget about them and move on. Work on yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

Weirdly enough I found in my school days the guys in my year took a very hard like on bullying. We didn’t really tolerate it at all and kept it out.

What was disappointing was some of the teachers engaged in it rather heavily. One or two in particular were not beyond name calling and making people the butt of jokes.

I remember one teacher in particular who used to pick on me about by height and also because I couldn’t hear well.

“Ah sure there’s no point in talking to x...!”
    “I’ll say it louder for yer man!”
    “Can you H E A R me?”

Slamming books into my table and stuff when I didn’t catch what he said.

“You! The lanky fella at the back!”

That sort of thing.

We also had the stereotypical psycho type who used to throw objects at desks and roar her lungs out. She flung a book once and smashed a window which resulted in her “taking some time off”

Also has an Irish primary teacher hold me upside down over a bin as punishment when I was in junior infants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Retired on a gold plated, over-paid pension courtesy of me and other workers after being underworked her whole career.

My bully was the teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

She dropped out in 5th year and became a prostitute and a heroin addict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

They’ve done good for themselves some are doctors, nurses, good enough jobs and some not so good enough jobs but they all seem fine.
    Would I give any of them another chance if I bumped into them of course.
    Something I realised when I left school was some guys were just a bit twat and not mature but others had issues at home and were all over the places not that’s not an excuse I know but they were acting out. Well in a a lot of the cases.

The strange thing is the worse bullying I experienced was when I went to college.

Advertisement