Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did your bully in secondary school turn out?

Options
  • 06-06-2020 3:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I was bullied for my autism and had to switch schools. Also ended up bullied there.

The funny thing is that the bullies were smart and posh. They were racist too.

As you can expect, they turned out better than me.

Comments

They're undoubtedly happier than I am anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Gay...

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I was bullied (nothing serious) when I was about 10/11. One day while walking to the school canteen, I punched him in the face. He more or less bullied everyone in the class, so everyone was happy when they heard the news. He didn't bully me again after that. Violence does work sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

I was bullied for my autism and had to switch schools. Also ended up bullied there.

The funny thing is that the bullies were smart and posh. They were racist too.

As you can expect, they turned out better than me.

One went on to play intercounty football as everyone expected when he was in school but last I heard now he is now on the dole and has a couple of kids with different women. Turns out being a sportstar jock in school and putting all your career eggs in that basket doesn't work if you also like pints. Lots and lots of pints.

I know one went to jail as a result of violence and another crossed me in later life.

I would suspect most as adults now look back in shame at that period of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

I know 1 lad that used to bully a fair amount of people in school. He was good at GAA so it was never dealt with by the school. Went on to play for his county and now he's a politician. He's still a prick.

I wouldn't call her a full-blown bully, but she didn't hide how she felt about me. I sat beside her dad on a long haul flight years later and had nice chats, he was lovely.

She invited me to her wedding a couple of years ago, which puzzled me. I was going to RSVP with something pointed and withering, but I wound up politely declining and wishing her the best. I'd like to say I felt like the bigger person, but I really didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I don’t want to be accused of victim blaming, but in the case of the OP...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

I'll say this once, any more personal jabs at any posters will result in cards.

Friendly warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    I was bullied (nothing serious) when I was about 10/11. One day while walking to the school canteen, I punched him in the face. He more or less bullied everyone in the class, so everyone was happy when they heard the news. He didn't bully me again after that. Violence does work sometimes.

Same here. Some of the ones I beaten them are dead now from different reasons.

• Advertisement

Hopefully terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Dead, shot and junkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

I don’t want to be accused of victim blaming, but in the case of the OP...

Ah leave it out ted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Das Reich wrote: »
    Same here. Some of the ones I beaten them are dead now from different reasons.

Unfortunately, in this day and age physical response can get you in more trouble...a mates son is getting very badly bullied via Facebook and the school was like nothing to do with us Yadda Yadda...he smashed one of them with hurl last week and the guards are no involved... thankfully it's a case of he said/she said

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭This is it

The bullies in my life seemed to be those that had nothing really going for them except a bit of strength. Low intelligence, disinterested parents from what I could see, and so on. Of the few I still know they're generally unemployed and not really up to much. Typical arsèholes really.

I'm not up to a huge amount myself either in fairness but I'm happy with life, I'm not sure if they'd say the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭This is it

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Unfortunately, in this day and age physical response can get you in more trouble...a mates son is getting very badly bullied via Facebook and the school was like nothing to do with us Yadda Yadda...he smashed one of them with hurl last week and the guards are no involved... thankfully it's a case of he said/she said

I've a 5 year old and have wondered how I'd handle him being bullied. Obviously at the moment it would be tell a parent, teacher, adult, but in a few years that becomes more difficult. Do you tell him to throw a slap back and they should back off, or stick with making an adult aware.

At the end of the day, you need to stand up for yourself or you'll be walked all over in this life

• Registered Users Posts: 23,680 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I was never bullied in secondary school, had a bit of trouble in primary school alright.

No idea how any of them turned out though as I don’t tend to harbour any resentment or grudges towards people, waste of time and energy at that craic giving people attention who don’t deserve it or a second more thought than they’re worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

He's still a massive cnut with an overinflated sense of his own importance. Met him last Christmas, and walked away after about 30 seconds as I felt like slapping his ugly cnutish face into next week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I wasn't really ever bullied in school, but do remember having a pint with my new wife years ago in my local when a lad who was a notorious bully started throwing his weight around with a couple of lads he used bully when in school .
    They waited till he out for a piss and followed him , shortly afterwards the bar manager called an ambulance for him .
    As we were leaving that night his motor bike was in a nearby river.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Wouldn't say I was outright bullied by this girl but she was an awful piece of work and would pass remarks on my appearance, others' weight and bodies etc.

She's now about three stone heavier than she was in school :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

My school bully still takes my lunch money off me to this day.

On the upside, he makes a cracking chicken fillet roll to be fair to him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

One of them was killed a few years ago. That made national news. The others, no clue what so ever. They never really interested me anyway and I was able to shut them up after things got physical, so I dont really care what they are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Salty wrote: »
    Wouldn't say I was outright bullied by this girl but she was an awful piece of work and would pass remarks on my appearance, others' weight and bodies etc.

She's now about three stone heavier than she was in school :pac:

Ironic revenge, worthy of Somerset Maugham, himself.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

One fella took a disliking to me and started saying crap about me around the school. I nipped it in the bud fairly quickly with a swift kick to the bollox. We grew up to be good friends

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I did really well tbh. Highly successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Bumped into him years later (he recognised me) and we caught up. He's done well. Married with kids and a successFul business. We were reminiscing about school and he mentioned that he gave a few lads a hard time back then. I sort of said "You think?" and he asked had he given me a hard time. He apologised when I said he had (he gave everyone a hard time).

Not sure about other lads who picked on me over the years. It was horrible at the time but it faded in fifth and sixth year and I didn’t think much about them after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

447rsm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I was never physically bullied but I knew some who were. From what I've observed, the straightforward physical bullies tend to be stupid, do badly in life, end up in prison and die at a young age. On the other hand, psychological bullies/manipulators tend to be intelligent and often do very well in life. Sociopaths with 6 figure incomes, hot wives and beautiful children.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

This is it wrote: »
    I've a 5 year old and have wondered how I'd handle him being bullied. Obviously at the moment it would be tell a parent, teacher, adult, but in a few years that becomes more difficult. Do you tell him to throw a slap back and they should back off, or stick with making an adult aware.

At the end of the day, you need to stand up for yourself or you'll be walked all over in this life

I've told my young lad since the day he was old enough for it to be relevant to never hit anyone first or hit anyone without being provoked but If someone hits him the first thing he's to do is hit them back.

I understand teachers saying to not react and just tell a teacher if something happens and in an ideal world that would be great but this is the real world and that stuff doesn't work. You have to look out for yourself and stand up for yourself.

• Advertisement

I had more than one bully but the person that stands out for me was a "friend". She would alternate from being nice and chatty to ignoring me, little comments, leaving me out of games and just being a general cùnt. The strange thing is though we remained friends right up to adulthood until we had a falling out and true to form she cut me out completely.

If I had a child I would hope they would be brave and strong enough to walk away from someone who treated them badly. I was so desperate for friendship and to fit in.

In my adult life I've had a tendency to chase after people who I care about but who for whatever reason are not being in touch as much. Nowadays I just let them be. They know where I am. If they are struggling with something, if they need time alone, whatever it is they know where I am. I'm done with checking in and making sure all is ok.

Advertisement