Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If Ireland could replicate one aspect of another country or city....

• 03-06-2018 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

What would it be? I'm talking about things like healthcare, education, nightlife or housing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The asses of South American girls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Something British...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Depends on the individual. Some will say childcare while others would want healthcare, housing, transport, education etc.

No one place has the perfect 'everything'. For me it would be a world class health service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Why replicate any why not be the country which sets an example to others itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,647 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Finland's education system, where they focus on the student rather than the subject or the exam.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Jail systems that actually keep scum locked up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Pac1Man wrote: »
    The asses of South American girls.

Yes because there's none of those in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

German (or even British) road driving lane discipline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Big mad European/American/Asian engineering projects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

A daycent red light district

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Arabian oil deposits with Norwegian common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Australian superannuation system. 10% on top of your wages goes to a pension fund paid for by the employer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think we need private health insurance mentality because I don't think state run health care isn't good enough either in Ireland or the UK.

I think that for trivial healthcare it could be provided by the state. I think it would work and would cover those from deprived backgrounds but I think when it comes to serious healthcare the US insurance system is better.

Edit: I really do think that if ppl thought more about their health and spent less money on nights out in the pub and taxis etc it wouldn't be as difficult as it might seem to pay for private health insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,402 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Arabian oil deposits with Norwegian common sense.

That's American oil. It just happens to be under Arabian sand.

Finland's education system, where they focus on the student rather than the subject or the exam.

Indeed and the only system which tries to give an equal start in life irrespective of your social class, gender or race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

AllForIt wrote:
    I think we need private health insurance mentality because I don't think state run health care is good enough either in Ireland or the UK.

Fcuk it, privatise everything, the market is Feckin great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I'd love if Ireland had a rabbit and cat island like Japan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Norwegian model

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Ireland has now outstripped Finland in STEM results.

Despite that, yeah, the Finnish education system - child-led and creative and kind and intelligent.

The Portuguese system on drugs: they have decriminalised all drugs, and while you'll face the slammer if you have amounts suitable for dealing, you can have drugs for personal use, and if you register as an addict the State will throw help and housing and job and counselling at you. Very successful from all accounts.

The Norwegian prison system - so successful in reforming people that they're shutting their prisons.

The French health system: a mix of private and public but stringently State-inspected so no profiteering. High-quality care for low prices, and the doctors don't work crazy hours, and they've never heard of a trolley.

The Dutch transport system: most short journeys by bicycle and cities designed to facilitate this, with tiny locally-made cars for the elderly and disabled which can use cycle lanes.

The Swiss water system, cleanest and best in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

German organisation and efficiency.

We can't organise **** in this country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

australia s imigration system.
    everyone is welcome once your not a criminal etc.
    paid ticket home ready
    kicked out if you do anything wrong
    jobs lined up before you get there.

diferent system then for tourists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,647 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Ireland has now outstripped Finland in STEM results.

Despite that, yeah, the Finnish education system - child-led and creative and kind and intelligent.

Therein lies one of the problems: the need to compete and compare.

And even then, it's cherry picking as you say - and doesn't take into account things like art, lingusitic or creative abilities (probably because those things are very difficult to actually compare in terms of numbers).

That's a bit of a myth....

That's a bit of a myth....

Anyone who's been to Frankfurt airport could see it's a myth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Not being afraid of buiding vertically..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Decent public transport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

jaxxx wrote: »

We can copy Belfast for that :)

Berlin Schonfeld, they should be ashamed to be using that dump as the main airport of their capital

Deutsche Bahn ain’t all that punctual either

• Advertisement

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Thought you needed to be a criminal to get into Australia...

its bit ironic really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

A police force that demands respect, appearing fit strong and not to be ****ed with.

One that will genuinely deal harshly with the absolute scrotes roaming our steets, like the french or Spanish cops

mikemac2 wrote: »
    jaxxx wrote: »

We can copy Belfast for that :)

Berlin Schonfeld, they should be ashamed to be using that dump as the main airport of their capital

Deutsche Bahn ain’t all that punctual either

It's not the main airport, Tegel is.

Of course, if you really want to review German efficiency, google "Berlin-Brandenburg Airport"...

tastyt wrote: »
    A police force that demands respect, appearing fit strong and not to be ****ed with.

One that will genuinely deal harshly with the absolute scrotes roaming our steets, like the french or Spanish cops

^ Along with judges who have the cop-on and morality to dish out actual justice and not pathetically short sentences with pathetic early release excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

Food Stamps definitely

.....On top of the dole money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

France with its French Foreign Legion and Israel with its fun foreign policy , I'm joking.

• Advertisement

sweedens respect for their country side and nature . no rubish dumped anywhere when i was there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Munichs public transport system. Along with the German system of land ownership and planning.

Germany's support and commitment to community energy schemes.

Dutch commitment to seeing cyclists as being normal rather than a valid target for motorists.

Licencing laws from almost any country in Europe.

System of communal politics and local tax raising in Germany and France.

America with its gun laws!

LOL. I had you there for a moment didn't I? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Actually making stuff to use and export: Cars, planes, ships, ebikes, hoovers or other decent heavy machinery.
    Sweden only has twice the population, yet bang out hundreds of fighter aircraft, containers of furniture and millions of cars.

When the low corp-tax party is over, it'll be back to sowing spuds and fishing for what's left in the EU sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

Actually making stuff to use and export: Cars, planes, ships, ebikes, hoovers or other decent heavy machinery.
    Sweden only has twice the population, yet bang out hundreds of fighter aircraft, containers of furniture and millions of cars.

When the low corp-tax party is over, it'll be back to sowing spuds and fishing for what's left in the EU sea.

Ya but we make the furniture for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Political system where there is no parish pump....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,958 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Dutch attitude to facilitating cycling.

German efficiency in planning/organization

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Pompous

Map of cycle lanes in central Europe.
    452398.jpg

I am not a greedy man so I would like one of two things:

1) Cycling infrastructure rivalling that of the Netherlands.
    2) For cyclists to be treated with respect like they are in the Netherlands. Like human beings.

After the day (or life) I have had cycling in Dublin, I'll settle for just one of these. Either one would probably save my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

Was at the beach today and seen a 40 year old scrote finish his smoke at the door of his car and mash it in the sand with his foot. I'd like to think this doesn't happen in other countries, but it probably does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Civic pride. We seem to have a real aversion to dealing with our own ****e. Other countries mastered this generations ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Civic pride. We seem to have a real aversion to dealing with our own ****e. Other countries mastered this generations ago.

I think we don't have a good attitude towards rules or general social norms that we should all follow. We hate the rules/laws we don't like or pay attention to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

steves2 wrote: »
    I think we don't have a good attitude towards rules or general social norms that we should all follow. We hate the rules/laws we don't like or pay attention to.

The general attitude seems to be of there’s a rule, let’s find a way around it.

In terms of social norms, I find that people live in a little bubble that extends about a foot from them. We think in the “me” rather than what’s better for the wider society.

Civic pride is seriously lacking. Our beaches and parks will be in a state after the recent good weather. I see it on Sunday mornings in particular - roads strewn with McDonald’s, pizza boxes, etc. Fly tipping is rampant. Truly depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

As much 'woodland coverage' as 'any' of the EU neighbours.
    Even the UK (with x4 the population density) has a load of decent national parks.

fcfs005_f1_4.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

We can't organise **** in this country

The biggest con of all time. The new airport in Berlin is a prime example. It may never even open such was the scale of the mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 browne.h

Unless otherwise indicated, you are legally allowed to make right turns at red lights in the US, Saves on time, and fuel.Of course in Ireland, it would have to be a left turn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement