Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dreaded cough!

Options
  • 11-02-2016 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,099 ✭✭✭✭

My daughter has the "cough". The house hasn't slept in 4 ****ing nights! Kept her off school and no problem during the day. But come bed time, she's barking like a dog. Eating like a horse too. She won't take honey and she's covered in Vicks vaporub. Cough bottles are useless.

I remember having it a few years ago myself. A ****ing curse. Doctor was a waste of 50 quid with his URI BS. Any suggestions that don't include a bullit???:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Get liquid Zirtec from the chemist. It's an anti-histamine and works by calming down the inflamed little thingies in the lungs that cause the coughing at night. Works within about 20 minutes and should see them through the night.

Vicks vapor rub on the soles of their feet too and put their socks back on also works but not as good as Zirtec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ear plugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Brandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,099 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Ear plugs.

Sssshussh! I think she's aslee.. BOLLIX!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Sssshussh! I think she's aslee.. BOLLIX!

Put an extra pillow under her head.....she won't cough so much if she is upright a bit.

Failing that put that extra pillow over yours :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Tut loudly

Get liquid Zirtec from the chemist. It's an anti-histamine and works by calming down the inflamed little thingies in the lungs that cause the coughing at night. Works within about 20 minutes and should see them through the night.

Vicks vapor rub on the soles of their feet too and put their socks back on also works but not as good as Zirtec.

The Vicks is everywhere. Her nose is dry, so I'm not sure the Zyrtec would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Keep boiling a kettle in her room

Put an extra pillow under her head.....she won't cough so much if she is upright a bit.

Failing that put that extra pillow over yours :)

Done the extra pillow and upright thing. But thanks Miss D.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Give her a slug of Whiskey

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Post on the internet, maybe someone will post the answer.

Hide her in the Shed

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Did it ever occur to you that maybe she has a chest infection?
    Coughing that much is usually a sign and I know from past experience how bad they get.
    Get her to the doc, another doc if yours is hopeless, feck the expense..it's your daughter ffs, and get her antibiotics and steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

My daughter has the "cough".But come bed time, she's barking like a dog.

Sounds like croup.*

*I'm not a real doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

You don't sound very sympathetic OP. Having a cough is ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Steroids kill it off i.m.e. They work wonders. I dunno how they work, but they instantly seem to zap it. Yer mouth somehow becomes somewhat dry and there's no urgency/need felt to cough anymore. They don't make the mouth dry to the point of feeling like yer gonna choke or lose yer breath, but whatever way they work, dry enough to not feel the need to cough anymore.

Need to be careful of steroids, there are so many shíte side effects, can't sleep, eat like an Ethiopian in a bakery, bad rashes, big mood swings but to name a few, so only give them to her if necessary. But by all means if she needs them and the Doc prescribes them, shovel them into her

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The Vicks is everywhere. Her nose is dry, so I'm not sure the Zyrtec would help.

Try it. Commonly used in Paeds wards in hospitals to settle children with stubborn night coughs.

It has worked with both my daughters in the past for dry tickly coughs that only flare up at night.

Advertisement