Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I think my rabbit is dying

• 12-04-2021 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭

I’m not really sure why I’m posting I just don’t know what to do. My 6 year old rabbit Marvel was the picture of health the day before yesterday and then late last night he started looking lethargic and couldn’t hold his head up for long so I moved him into my room so I could keep an eye on him.

I woke up early this morning and his back legs were paralysed and I got him into the vets as soon as possible. Tthe vet said they have to hold onto him and will do everything they can to help him but at his age they can start having various health problems.

By the time I got him to the vets from my house he looked completely paralysed and he was just flopped out on the table, it was heartbreaking. I don’t think he’s going to make it and I don’t know I can’t process it all because it all happened so suddenly he was so healthy two days ago running and jumping around.

I don’t know what I’m looking for, advice maybe I don’t know what to do while I’m waiting I haven’t stopped crying all morning and my head is pounding but it’s all I can think about and I don’t know what I’m going to do if he doesn’t make it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

You're looking for understanding, sympathy and some hope. And you will have all of that here.
    The vets know what they're doing. Fingers crossed and go easy on yourself. Edit sorry you're hurting.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Sorry to hear that Ladyskunk. It sounds like he has a very caring owner and has been well looked after. Hopefully the vet will get him back to his old self again. We'll all keep our fingers crossed for good news. Keep us posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

So sorry to hear about Marvel being so unwell. Hope you're doing okay. You've done the best thing for him by getting him to a vet. Thinking of you both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Its an unfortunate part of caring for small animals, is that they will hide any illness, its in their nature as prey animals.

They are in good hands in the vets.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

sorry to hear that and hopefully he makes a recovery I had a friend that had a rabbit for 10 years never had one myself but being a dog owner I know how attached people get to pets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I'm so sorry to hear that Skunk. Hopefully he pulls through but he's in the best place for him at the moment. It's so painful to see your little buddy in distress or unwell. The vets will do all they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all your lovely messages.

I got a call off the vet yesterday and unfortunately Marvel passed away in the afternoon. He suspects it was the mass inside his stomach that made him very ill.

My heart is just broken, I know it’s always hard losing a pet but it all happened so fast and I just keep thinking how scary it must have been for him not being able to use his legs or anything and I just keep seeing him flopped down on the vets table and can’t believe how two days before he was running and jumping to get my attention so I’d give him a carrot and how he was then delighted with himself. I was going around telling everyone how smart he was because of it and now he’s just gone I can’t believe it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Awh ladyskunk, I'm so sorry to hear that Marvel has passed away :( You did everything you could for him. The shock of how sudden it was is something that is very difficult to deal with. I've been there too many times and it is heartbreaking but he had a wonderful life with you and, in time, the pain will lessen. Mind yourself and take time to grieve. Marvel was a part of your family and it's heartbreaking to have to say goodbye.

Sleep tight Marvel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Very sorry to hear that he has passed. The loss of any pet can be a difficult period to deal with , but unfortunately inevitable with their shorter life spans. We had guinea pigs for many years and felt the loss of each one keenly.

You did everything that could be expected of you by bringing him to the vet at the first opportunity. As i said earlier , small animals hide their illnesses until they cant any longer, which sometimes means its too late to help.

All you can do is concentrate on the good memories and that you gave him a very happy comfortable life for a rabbit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Ah Skunk I'm so very sorry about Marvel. Take your time to grieve and be kind to yourself. It's always such a heartbreak to lose a little friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

LadySkunk wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I got a call off the vet yesterday and unfortunately Marvel passed away in the afternoon. He suspects it was the mass inside his stomach that made him very ill.

My heart is just broken, I know it’s always hard losing a pet but it all happened so fast and I just keep thinking how scary it must have been for him not being able to use his legs or anything and I just keep seeing him flopped down on the vets table and can’t believe how two days before he was running and jumping to get my attention so I’d give him a carrot and how he was then delighted with himself. I was going around telling everyone how smart he was because of it and now he’s just gone I can’t believe it :(

I'm so sorry for your loss, OP. Its such a painful experience. I lost a pet recently too.

In a way, it feels worse that they were fine to the end, with the unexpected turn and decline. That happened my little guy too. But try to remember, Marvel was in flying form right to his last day or two. He didn't have weeks or months of losing himself, or enjoying life any less. And he was himself with you to the final days.

It'll still hurt. Even the happy memories will hurt. But it's like the price we pay for the joy our pets bring us, is that we have to experience the pain that comes when we lose them.

It sounds like you loved Marvel, and I suspect he loved you too. He was a lucky bunny, you cared for him and gave him a great life. What more could any of us ask for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭volchitsa

LadySkunk wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Sorry to hear that, Lady Skunk. It's horrible losing a pet, especially when it's so sudden. It's the price for having pets, their life span is so much shorter than ours.

Look after yourself.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Advertisement