Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic Waste - Covid

• 12-04-2021 9:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

Has anybody else been struggling with the amount of domestic waste produced in their house over the last year?

Staying at home meaning all meals are cooked here, so there's compost waste from egg shells, tea bags, veg peelings and all that.

The recycling bin is overflowing for each fortnight collection, since even ordering small items online seems to result in many layers of cardboard, and then the general waste bin is full to the brim each fortnight also, with so many things that can't be recycled.

I don't know if I need to contact the bin company and move up a size bin or what to do. Currently have 240L bins. Why do things have to come with SO much packaging!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Stand in the bin or if you have kids throw them in to stamp it down.

You could bring recycling to local recycling centre, compost bin if you have one should do you.

I think most are the same as never been home so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Notmything

My youngest gets €2 for doing the bin dance, surprising how much room you can make by compacting down the recycling bin.

Definitely noticed a big increase in non recyclable waste however.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've a hotbin composter. Pretty much everything food-related goes in there. Haven't had to put out a brown bin in months. Any time there's a glut of carboard, like Christmas, I chuck it in the car and drive it down to the recycling centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

For large cardboard boxes/packaging, I leave it sitting out for a couple of nights. The rain/dew/damp softens it up and make it much easier to fold into a more compact shape, so it takes up less space in the bin. It doesn't have to be left in torrential rain (in fact, it's better if it's not), just the damp air outside can over a couple of nights can be enough.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

AFAIK, wet cardboard can't be recycled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Where does waste from a vacuum go? Which bin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Honestly, no. Five in the house, including one in nappies. The recycle bin has occasionally been a bit full if we've got a few extra boxes, but a dance on it always makes loads of space. Black bin is always full, but never so much that I have to dance on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I've the nappy issue also Seamus. A lot of nappies get produced in a fortnight.......!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

AFAIK, wet cardboard can't be recycled.

My recycling bin has a crack in the lid anyway, so everything in it gets wet.

Edit: Actually, I just read the recycling tips on my service's website, and while it does say that all recycling should be "clean and dry", it also says that large pieces of cardboard can be folded and left out beside the bin - which here on the west coast means a good 60% chance of being rained on overnight (we get 232 days with rain a year on average here).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭lucalux

Where does waste from a vacuum go? Which bin?

Your general waste bin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭lucalux

I always flatten everything really well for the recycling, and do the 'bin dance'

or get one of these doohickys:

https://purchase.ie/product/waste-management/bin-trasher-domestic
    They're very effective

And for the general waste bin I always make sure I compact each kitchen bag really well before bagging them up in bigger refuse bags in the bin.

Compost what you can if you have the space.
    I reuse brown cardboard in the garden for weed suppression, and plastic trays/yoghurt pots this time of year become seed trays to start off plants for the garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

For large cardboard boxes/packaging, I leave it sitting out for a couple of nights. The rain/dew/damp softens it up and make it much easier to fold into a more compact shape, so it takes up less space in the bin. It doesn't have to be left in torrential rain (in fact, it's better if it's not), just the damp air outside can over a couple of nights can be enough.
    Have a stanley knife to hand and just slice up any corrugated cardboard boxes into smaller bits. Folding them up is a big waste of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Compress everything before it goes in the bin, especially empty liquid containers, it takes more time but it's far more effective than trying to compress the entire contents of the bin.
    Also, put your Tetris skills to good use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

seamus wrote: »
    Honestly, no. Five in the house, including one in nappies. The recycle bin has occasionally been a bit full if we've got a few extra boxes, but a dance on it always makes loads of space. Black bin is always full, but never so much that I have to dance on it.

Similar situation here, S. I even forgot to put the “general waste” bin out the week before last. It’s well full now but I haven’t had to stamp it and they’ll be collecting it tomorrow.

I guess the fact we’d be a “green” conscious household and wouldn’t be surviving on nuggets, freezer pizzas and those vile Findus pancakes.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Advertisement