Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Liberty Insurance is doing well...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

jaxxx wrote: »
    They quoted me €3,000 last year for my car insurance. Almost 3.5 times what I was on with my current insurance and twice as much as any new quotes from other companies. 9 years driving (including learner period), 8 years no claims in own name, 0 penalty points. They can quite literally suck diesel for all I care.

Liberty have never quoted me under 11 or €1200, their most expensive was about 1600, and have always been the most expensive every year, barr maybe FBD the odd year.

My most expensive renewal since my first two years of driving, with my current insurer, was this year at €700. Although that is a steady increase from €500 over the last few years.

This is 8 years with a full clean licence, 7 years NCB.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I actually find them to be pretty reasonable, although that's just me. No idea if I'm an outlier or not.

Same here. Always work out much cheaper than other insurers for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Insurance is inherently profitable as the customer is legally obliged to buy the product on sale

That makes no sense. Just because they take in lots of business doesn't mean they make profit on it. When you pay your premium, it is only at the end of the year do they know if it is a profit or a loss on you

grogi wrote: »

Nearly a year and no findings :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

That makes no sense. Just because they take in lots of business doesn't mean they make profit on it. When you pay your premium, it is only at the end of the year do they know if it is a profit or a loss on you

The vast majority of people go claims free year on year, yet many (myself included) are seeing price increases in premiums.

Of course they're making profit, they'd go out of business otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The vast majority of people go claims free year on year, yet many (myself included) are seeing price increases in premiums.

As Quinn they v nearly did because they hadnt set aside enough reserves to cover potential claims.

US giant Liberty Mutual yesterday admitted it bought Quinn Insurance for €1, but insisted it had not gotten the Cavan insurer "on the cheap" since it came with net debts of €81m.
    https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/liberty-buys-insurance-unit-of-quinn-for-just-1-26729686.html

https://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0330/129345-quinn/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Insurers do go out of business, including the previous owners of Liberty, being discussed here. All insurers publish their profit & loss. They are slowly returning to profit after years of cumulative losses.

• Site Banned Posts: 23 Skobey_brady

Profit isn't guaranteed, incompetent people might be In charge, also insurance companies also invest in pensions which are risky, selling motor insurance however is a licence to print money, they can jack up the price by extortionate amounts yet the customer has no choice but to buy, its unique in that sense

Profit isn't guaranteed, incompetent people might be In charge, also insurance companies also invest in pensions which are risky, selling motor insurance however is a licence to print money, they can jack up the price by extortionate amounts yet the customer has no choice but to buy, its unique in that sense

So Worldwide insurers like AXA, Zurich, Allianz, Aviva, Liberty etc. dump their incompetent thieving staff in their Ireland branches, leaving them to act as White Knights in other jurisdictions, practically giving policies away for nothing?

Or could it be our cost of claims compared to elsewhere?

Tough one to work out

• Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Also, remember the price of medical treatment here. If I am injured I will have to pay for this care privately to access it in a timely manner. Such costs need to be reimbursed through my insurance.

I am guessing that say in Germany or UK such treatment would be accessible, timely and free.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Nearly a year and no findings :cool:

It is difficult to prove conspiracy. Throwing accusations without foundation bwould end up in court...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

So Worldwide insurers like AXA, Zurich, Allianz, Aviva, Liberty etc. dump their incompetent thieving staff in their Ireland branches, leaving them to act as White Knights in other jurisdictions, practically giving policies away for nothing?

Or could it be our cost of claims compared to elsewhere?

Tough one to work out

There is an excuse (high claims) and a consensus among the insurers to charge as much as they can.

grogi wrote:
    There is an excuse (high claims) and a consensus among the insurers to charge as much as they can.

So why hasn't even one insurer (who hasn't gone bang) broken away from the "cartel", offer reasonable premiums and mop up every bit of gravy out there?

Don't get me wrong, I think premiums are far too dear and not sustainable in the long run, I just feel the majority of the cause lies elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

grogi wrote: »

Or are they charging as much as they need to stay in business? Quinn used to give people great deals on insurance. Reality was that they were not charging people enough to stay in business.
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    Also, remember the price of medical treatment here. If I am injured I will have to pay for this care privately to access it in a timely manner. Such costs need to be reimbursed through my insurance.

Yep and the hospital will happily charge the insurance company €824 (approx) a night for a public bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Looks like they may have told OP a little white lie about who had taken over the place...
    https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2018/0607/968872-meghan-and-harry-rumoured-to-be-in-ireland-right-now/

Advertisement