04-07-2009, 15:14   #1

Swine Flu Vaccination + general swine flu chat thread

I note from radio reports and the Irish Times http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...breaking21.htm
that there is a plan to innoculate the entire population in the Autumn.

Is this mass hysteria or do we have a serious problem here? To me it seems that the majority of deaths were in third world countries where medical care is poor or not widely available. Is this flu worse that say avian flu that we had a few years ago? Swine flu got a lot of media coverage a few weeks/months ago but as most first world victims recovered it kind of faded away. It's quite hard to guage the level of threat to the general population. Is it hysteria or a real threat?

Of course it suits the drugs manufacturers to fan the flames. What is the status of this vaccine. Personally, I would be reluctant to take it. I would need a lot of convincing to take a mass produced vaccine that was developed in double quick time. I haven't taken a flu jab before so why should I take this one?

I also find it ironic that the "travel alert" system used by many first world countries has been very quiet of late. Probably because it would require a recommendation not to travel to the USA, Australia or the UK.
Advertisement
04-07-2009, 15:20   #2
Greenmachine

A load of Pish if you ask me. Won't bother getting one myself. If everone else has the vaccine, I'm not going to contract it from them.

Quote:
Workers in "essential" areas needed to keep the economy running - such as the electricity sector - would probably be first to receive the vaccination.
Err maybe let them strike and hang this over them No pay increase, but if you go back to work you can have a vaccine.
04-07-2009, 16:00   #3

No-one will force people to get vaccinated. The vaccine is currently being developed, but should be available soon.

The priority with the vaccine is not that it will protect all the people who get the vaccine from nasty illness. Most healthy people will have a mild form of the disease. So, they will carry on their normal day to day business. But you will be contagious for 6-7 days.

So, you'll be in contact with people, like your elderly parents or grandparents, your pregnant sister, or your newborn niece.

It's these people who are at very high risk from swine flu.

So, the reason that we're trying to stop people getting swine flu is to stop them giving it to vulnerable people.
(2) thanks from:
04-07-2009, 16:12   #4
nesf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmachine View Post
If everone else has the vaccine, I'm not going to contract it from them.
All it takes is 1 in 10 people thinking like you for that not to work.
04-07-2009, 16:58   #5

has anyone died from swine flu that did not have a previous (serious) illness?
Advertisement
04-07-2009, 17:25   #6
Greenmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesf View Post
All it takes is 1 in 10 people thinking like you for that not to work.
Yeah but it narrows the odd down alot with minimum effort.
04-07-2009, 17:31   #7

A few have died with no underlying illness. But that's not the point.

The point is we're trying to protect people who HAVE underlying illness.
04-07-2009, 17:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallaght01 View Post
A few have died with no underlying illness. But that's not the point.

The point is we're trying to protect people who HAVE underlying illness.
That's not true from what I can find. It appears that nobody has died in the First World of Swine Flu that did not have underlying issues. It's careless of you to say that a "few have died".

But it appears that that the symptoms of what is called "swine flu" is no different than regular flu. Therefore those people who could die from swine flu are just as likely to die from regular flu. All we have is a new strain that is identifiable and can be classed as Swine flu as opposed to common or garden flu.

There is absolutely nothing to indicate that symptoms of Swine Flu are more serious or deadlier than "normal" influenza. The only notable fact about Swine Flu is that it is normally transmitted amongst pigs only. When it contacts humans it results in human influenza. In otherwords, Swine Flu is not a distinct disease and no more deadlier than "ordinary flu".

Is this not a lot of hysteria about nothing? How many cases of fuman influenza are currently in Ireland or the UK. Probably multiples of swine flu and it's exactly the same thing.

I'll save the HSE a few quid and skip mine.

Last edited by BrianD; 04-07-2009 at 17:55.
04-07-2009, 17:52   #9

There's a lot of community immunity to normal seasonal flu, plus a lot of people are immunised against the normal flu. A lot of these people are vulnerable people.

But they will still have a high risk of developing normal flu.

Now, add in swine flu. No-one has any immunity, so it's likely to spread much more. Plus no one is immunised, which means it's extra likely to spread.

Plus we can't vaccinate our kids with cystic fibrosis etc yet.

So, there's this vulnerable population who can't be vaccinated, and none of their friends and family are immune tot he virus, which puts them all at higher risk of getting it, and passing it on to people who are more likely to become unwell.

But the reality is that the public don't understand this, because it's not been explained to them. Plus a lot of people are only interested in getting a vaccine of it helps them. A lot of healthy people know swine flu is unlikely to kill them, so they won't get the vaccine just to protect babies and sick people.
Advertisement
04-07-2009, 17:55   #10

how many die each year from regular flu?
aids?
cancer?

i will still follow basic hygiene, that reduces the spread of all flus

how many people have died of swine flu?

Last edited by conchubhar1; 04-07-2009 at 17:57.
04-07-2009, 18:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
That's not true from what I can find. It appears that nobody has died in the First World of Swine Flu that did not have underlying issues. It's careless of you to say that a "few have died".

Just to address this bit that you added into your last post. Their was a recent case series in the NEJM, looking at a cohort of people who had been hospitalised with swine flu pneumonia and died.

About half of the people who died were previously healthy, as were half of the people who were hospitalised.

But, like I said previously, it's protection of the vulnerable groups that is the priority.
04-07-2009, 18:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchubhar1 View Post
how many die each year from regular flu?
aids?
cancer?

i will still follow basic hygiene, that reduces the spread of all flus

how many people have died of swine flu?
Been about 100,000 cases of swine flu, and about 450 deaths. So about 1 in 200 get it overall. The problem is that this will hammer through Europe and the states so badly during winter, and if there's even a small case fatality rate that will still be a lot of deaths.
04-07-2009, 18:08   #13

The Vaccine is not to stop people dying, its to protect those with weak immune systems (Pregnant women, old age).
(4) thanks from:
04-07-2009, 18:54   #14

100,000 out of what 6 billion

250 deaths out of 100,000

even if the cases rise is the severity or the death toll going to rise in the winter?
04-07-2009, 18:57   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchubhar1 View Post
even if the cases rise is the severity or the death toll going to rise in the winter?
You bet your ass it is!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion