Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

using old sky dish with new freeview TV

Options
  • 17-11-2020 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am a complete noobie here and no knowledge so please don't think i know anything at all.

I bought a new TV for my dad, he had got Sky but insisted in it been cut off as its "a waste of money", so that happened.
    Anyway his TV packed in and I bought him a nice new Toshiba with built in Freeview, I connected it to the analogue Ariel and the sky dish and did the first time installation, but it ran trough a list of transponders or something, IE "Astra 3E" etc etc and said no signal.
    is this normal that the old sky dish will be of no use with a Freeview tuner in the TV?
    I heard the lads at work say thy got all these extra stations using the old sky dish, just plugged it into the TV and eh presto it worked?

I climbed up and the LMB-LNB is in good order for its age, maybe 8 years old now and the cable is spot on, i even checked the cable with a multi meter and it is not broken.

can I have a little help please.

Mick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I assume you've connected the satellite dish to the TV, screw-on f-connector?

For the satellite channels you'll have to do a satellite scan on Astra 28 degrees E.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Alex Sky Doctor

Hi Mick,
    As it was mentioned above, Sky channels are transmitted from Astra satellites (Astra 2E/2F/2G) located at 28.2 °E.
    I assume the dish was not moved from the right location. To check this, you can use any old sky receiver and check the signal quality (FTA channels precent etc).
    All the rest should be easy, just follow the satellite installation manual on your TV.
    I have Sony and it works perfectly fine with two satellites Astra + Hotbird (thou I use DiSEQC, and Sony is compatible with it).
    Regards,
    Alex

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Assuming it's a old type Sky Box then it should work by just connecting the lead from the Sky box into the TV as you previously did.
    Nothing needs to change.
    You will get the free to air channels only, no Irish stations and no Sky stations apart from the FTA ones.
    AFAIK Freeview doesn't work in Ireland, you will just get FTA stations so all BBC's, ITV's, Channel 4 and 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

I just checked a few toshiba's and no sign they had a sat tuner. Freeview is digital terressial ie like our saorview but better.

Can you give model no of TV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Yeah, freesat and Freeview are different. You need a Freesat receiver. It may be built into the telly, or it can be a box below.

You can get Freesat combo receivers that line up the Irish channels from saorview and the UK channels from the satellite in one list. I found that handy when setting up for older family members.

I vaguely remember having to replace the sky lnb years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bronkobilly

most of the toshiba's tv's of today have satellite built in as there made by the same people that make the walker tv's in turkey

I just looked at 14 of them on Currys and none have them have a sat tuner!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

swoofer wrote: »
    but better

Maybe in channel selection but mpeg4 > mpeg2

UK mpeg4 is branded as freeview HD

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bronkobilly

bought a 55 inch toshiba tv froms curry's last week and it has a satellite tuner built in two connections on the back for saorview and satellite have a 32 inch walker tv with satellite took channel list from that by usb and put it on the toshiba tv

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

Just had a look too, Powercity appear to have similar Toshiba models as Curry's but with a satellite tuner, some at the same price or less.

50ul3063db, (with sat) 399€ Powercity
    50ul2063db, (nó sat) 399€ Curry's
    55ul3063db, (with sat) 429€ Powercity
    55ul2063db, ( nó sat) 449€ Curry's

• Advertisement

this is an old post so they are probably sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭mickward

Hi All,

TV defo has satellite tuner as it tried to tune in and asked me to select satellite ie Astra and a load of others.

i have not been anywhere close to parents house because of restricted movement from close contact in my house.

when i am back there maybe this weekend i will get TV model number etc.

when i tried to tune in satellite the TV kept telling me that there was no signal, should I/ is it worth while buying a new dish form electrical store an installing it, but how do i set the position or do i need to get someone out to to do this for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

mickward wrote: »
    Hi All,

TV defo has satellite tuner as it tried to tune in and asked me to select satellite ie Astra and a load of others.

i have not been anywhere close to parents house because of restricted movement from close contact in my house.

when i am back there maybe this weekend i will get TV model number etc.

when i tried to tune in satellite the TV kept telling me that there was no signal, should I/ is it worth while buying a new dish form electrical store an installing it, but how do i set the position or do i need to get someone out to to do this for me?

If you can access your dish safely, Powercity sell a signal finder for about 10€, there are videos on YouTube, it is not to difficult, though it is precise.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Did you get it to Work?

In Nov (working from home with sluggish Broadband), I upgraded to Eir fibre Optic (promised 1000 mbs)
    Anyway - the old Eir Vision service was ceased and the new the Apple TV arrived and the old Eir Vision box was sent back.
    Now Eir tell me it may be Feb 2021 before it will be installed :confused:

What is the best affordable Combo box that people would recommend?

I previously had Sky (2 cables to main TV & 2 x single cables to playroom & bedroom to TVs with Saorview & FreeSat tuners) But my main TV is a Samsung which does not have a FreeSat Tuner and I think the AV aerial input is faulty as signal comes and goes.
    I have an old Ferguson Ariva combo, but the HDMI output and the remote are shot (but I can get the channels via scart and manually via box menu buttons).

Options are Sky or FTA
    (we have Neflix, Amazon Prime and a Now TV stick - so we are not totally in the Dark :D

Your best option is the Zgemma H7S from world of sat but P&P may cost more now with Parcel wizard gone.

Advertisement