Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IBOOD: Onkyo 5.1 HD Amplifier €185 incl delivery

• 06-04-2011 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

4965_af_hi_1296142263.jpg

Here are the ibood specs:
    Brand receiver: Onkyo
    Type receiver: TX-SR308 5.1 Home Theatre Receiver with 4 HDMI 1.4 connections
    Color: Silver
    Model 2010
    Four HDMI connections: 3 inputs, 1 output
    Audio and 1080p Video Processing via HDMI
    Power: 100 watt per channel at 6 Ohm
    Included accessories: FM antenna, AM antenna, labels for speaker cables, remote control, 2x AA batteries (R6), quick start guide, manual
    EU product, UK plug attached
    Weight: 8.0 kilo
    Warranty: 2 years

And here are the full specs from Onkyo:
    CONNECTION FEATURES
    • Audio and 1080p Video Processing via HDMI (3 Inputs and 1 Output)
    • HDTV-Capable (720p/1080i) Component Video Switching (2 Inputs and 1 Output)
    • Front-Panel Audio Input for Portable Devices
    • 3 Digital Inputs (2 Optical and 1 Coaxial)
    • 4 A/V Inputs and 1 Output
    • Video Output (Monitor)
    • 1 Audio Input
    • Subwoofer Pre Out
    • Speaker A/B Terminals
    • Banana Plug-Compatible Speaker Posts for Front L/R Channels (Speaker A)
    • Color-Coded Speaker Terminals
    • Headphone Jack

OTHER FEATURES
    • Crossover Adjustment (40/50/60/80/100/120/150/200 Hz)
    • A/V Sync Control Function (Up to 100 ms in 10 ms Steps)
    • Tone Control (Bass/Treble) for Front L/R Channels
    • 3-Mode Display Dimmer (Normal/Dim/Dimmer)
    • Sleep Timer (via Remote)
    • Battery-Free Memory Backup
    • RDS (PS/RT/PTY/TP)
    • 40 FM/AM Random Presets
    • RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) for System Control
    • Compatible with RI (Remote Interactive) Dock for iPod
    • RI (Remote Interactive) Remote Control

ADVANCED FEATURES
    • HDMI™ Version 1.4a to Support 3D Video Formats, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color™, x.v.Color™, LipSync, Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio™, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD, Multichannel PCM, and CEC
    • Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio™, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD High-Resolution Audio™ Decoding
    • Universal Port for Single-Cable Connection of Optional Onkyo Dock for iPod or DAB+ Radio Tuner
    • Overlaid On-Screen Display (OSD) via HDMI

AMPLIFIER FEATURES
    • 100 W/Ch at 6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 Channel Driven, IEC
    • H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply) Massive High Power Transformer
    • Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry
    • Jitter-Cleaning Circuit Technology

PROCESSING FEATURES
    • Burr-Brown 192 kHz/24-Bit DACs (PCM1690) for All Channels
    • Advanced 32-Bit Processing DSP Chip
    • 4 DSP Modes for Gaming: Rock, Sports, Action, and RPG (Role Playing Game)
    • Music Optimizer™ for Compressed Digital Music Files
    • Theater-Dimensional Virtual Surround Function
    • CinemaFILTER™
    • Direct Mode
    • Double Bass Function
    • Non-Scaling Configuration
    • A-Form Listening Mode Memory

Here's the manual.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

4965_af_hi_1296142263.jpg

Here are the ibood specs:

And here are the full specs from Onkyo:

Here's the manual.

is it any good and how much are speakers likely to cost on top?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

Yeah its a good reciever and thats a good price, just keep in mind that is the 2010 model. The 2011 version of this model is the TX-SR309 and is out this week i think.

That being said the 2010 Onkyo series got great reviews and i have a different 2010 Onkyo amp myself. As for speakers there is such a wide range in both price and quality i wouldn't make any recommendations. But obviously if your looking for a speaker set for a smaller room its likely to be cheaper.

Not sure if i am allowed to do this or not (if not mods please remove) but i'd recommend asking in the richersounds forum here on boards what price they could do you on them. Since they got the new models in this week i assume they will be doing a good price on the 2010 models. They also tend to offer good bundle deals if you were to buy an amp with speakers. They can recommend you some speaker bundles to go with it.

I realise with IBOOD its time sensitive so i'd post in RS asap and they should get back to you today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'd have to check but I think thats the one we have, great box.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Don't have any reservations on the actual piece of kit, it is a class model and you will have no issues regarding compatability and future proofing, the only (and it is really a small point) feature it does not have is 7.1 but there is very little 7.1 soundtracks out there at present, all TV broadcasts and DVDs are 5.1 and I don't have a single 7.1 BR so it's worth pointing out but would not effect my decision if purchasing. I also can't see mention of 24 frames per second compatability as you will need this for smooth playback of 24 frames per second material (BR or .mkv downloads)
    There'll be sweet fanny adams worth of difference between this and it's newer model, the next jump in the home cinema amplifier chain is more like 7.1 or 7.2 sound with added power (the 100 for this guy is more than enough)but this is something your average guy will not be impacted by.
    Just do a quick websearch on it's pricing to make up your mind...

Highly compatible with a range of speakers and I'd spend AT LEAST the same amount again on a set of speakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I'd spend at least double on the speakers, remember 5.1 is alot of kit and probably €100 on decent cable.

I have an onkyo amp with Kef speakers and its pretty good.
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/kef/kht1005.2/kef-kht1005-2-blk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Soarer

Richersounds have the Denon 1311 for £163 delivered.
    To my eyes, the Denon would be better as it has a 4 in/1 out hdmi , and is black.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That's a good deal also, less of a 'rush' factor too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Guys, noob question,

Can any of the systems take both video and audio from a source via HDMI then send the video onto the TV via HDMI?

i.e can I plug ps3 ( and / or media PC) into sound system via HDMI and then video goes from sound system to TV via HDMI with sound going though sound system speakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Guys, noob question,

Can any of the systems take both video and audio from a source via HDMI then send the video onto the TV via HDMI?

i.e can I plug ps3 ( and / or media PC) into sound system via HDMI and then video goes from sound system to TV via HDMI with sound going though sound system speakers?

Yup, that's pretty much the point of these types of AV receivers. It's a hub you feed all your audio and video gear through, and switch between them.

Older/cheaper models didn't necessarily do this (especially for HDMI); but looking at the specs these ones do :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

This is a fantastic piece of kit. The only issue I have with it is the colour. I have the black version, which fits in with the rest of my AV devices. The white one just wouldn't look right!

(BTW, the last time this was on ibood special they said it was white only. I cannot confirm this time that its white only, just by the picture)

• Advertisement
Advertisement