Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice: Night Owl cant do mornings

• 26-11-2020 2:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

Since I was in my mid-teens I have gradually over time become Night Owl. It is typical in our teens that our biological clock/circadian rhythm nudges a few hours ahead and eventually in our adult years, merely by routine, we hardwire ourselves to getting up early. I know most ppl feel groggy and tired when they get up, some ppl take coffee throughout the morning, etc but still manage ok and are none the worst of it by the time the afternoon comes around.

Unfortunately I simply cant and end up feeling like absolute sh1t getting up early. Its as though Im at the tail end of a hangover - I get a bit shaky, I feel weird, sometimes as though Im going to pass out, on occasions I actually felt like I was going to have a heart attack. I cant concentrate, no appetite and brain function capacity is shot.

I have tried lights/devices off before 10, no coffee, relaxation, meditation, relaxing music, no late meals, herbal teas, eat first thing in the morning, etc and nothing seems to work. I spoke to my GP but was told that meds are only for temporary issues and longterm would be very much advised against. I usually fall asleep between 3 and 6 and wake up around 12 and 2. Im a great sleeper but simply cant function with less than 7 1/2 hours sleep.

Im curious if anyone else has these issues. Apparently 20% of ppl are night owls and 5% extreme night owls. Its lead me to having to do jobs in Hotel/Bar/Restaurant that allow me a late schedule. Im at the point now where this is no longer a viable option in many ways, particularly financially and socially.

Ive heard of an organization *whos name I cant remember) who want to influence jobs to be more Night Owl friendly. They've mentioned things like reduction in traffic (less rush hour), improved performance, improved health, better well-being within in the workplace.

Would be interested in others experience. Has anyone overcome being an extreme Night Owl? Maybe tried and failed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Circadian rhythm are not "hard-wired", they can be changed.
    It's called jet-lag when you have to adjust, but the brain does adjust especially if you expose yourself to bright sunlight in the morning and midday.

You've obviously gone to the doctor, to me it nearly sounds like diabetes or something. (I don't have it)
    Low blood sugar when you get up.

Also, go to bed at roughly the same time every day including weekends.
    I moved counties and was getting up at 5:30am to commute and be in for 7:30am, you just used to it.

Doctors don't normally test for vitamin deficiencies too, the likes of Vitamin B's are supposed to be energy releasing I think.

But sugar levels, eating slow releasing carbs for breakfast etc, kind of sounds like something to explore.

I've worked with people who have chronic insomnia in software development.
    But mostly they just have to attempt to get up on time... maybe have somewhat flexible working hours. But need a good trusting working relationship with their boss, and history of delivering their goals/tasks.

Advertisement