Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sagging roof

Options
  • 23-06-2019 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi everybody,

I'm going to buy a house, which I really like. But I noticed a sag of the roof and I'm not sure should I proceed with an offer or just walk away. I haven't done any structural survey yet. Can you give me advice does that look like a big problem?

Roof image:
    dropbox.com/s/dt93x7c77mdk2hk/roof1.jpg

The attic in this house has been converted and this is how it looks from another side:
    dropbox.com/s/gjo8jovsvo8win3/roof2.jpg

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,086 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

walk away.... you could be looking at 5 figures to remedy that

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

sydthebeat wrote: »
    walk away.... you could be looking at 5 figures to remedy that

On the other hand, if you get a proper survey done and a quote from a good builder to completely rectify and then get that knocked off the price ... it might be ok.

A long time ago I was buying a house, my engineer noticed a roof issue, we came up with a €40k figure to fix, looked for a €40k discount and the seller said no thanks. But it would have worked out fine if we had come to an agreement.

I can make no judgement about the severity of your issue, not at all qualified for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Would be concerned about the flat room dormer - roof2.jpg and what structural impact it had on the roof.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,086 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

2016 wrote: »
    On the other hand, if you get a proper survey done and a quote from a good builder to completely rectify and then get that knocked off the price ... it might be ok.

A long time ago I was buying a house, my engineer noticed a roof issue, we came up with a €40k figure to fix, looked for a €40k discount and the seller said no thanks. But it would have worked out fine if we had come to an agreement.

I can make no judgement about the severity of your issue, not at all qualified for that.

Sellers market at the moment.

The above would be fine if it is hard to find a purchaser to buy the property

• Registered Users Posts: 12 irsy

Guys, I had a feeling that something is wrong with the roof but I was not sure. Thank you for confirming my doubts!

• Advertisement
Advertisement