Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taylor Swift - You need to calm down, aimed at Donald Trump?

Options
  • 14-06-2019 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Anyone else here a big fan of Taylor? Her new single is very cryptic as it refers to tweets at 7am which Trump is famed for! I really like the new single overall. But I especially love her early country music. My favourites are Fearless, Speak now, Red and 1989. It seems there’s a concerted campaign against her always on social media and other outlets. She doesn’t do any harm and her music is by far and away the best that’s on offer currently. So why the hate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

She can do no wrong, well maybe; could have been one of her best, but why in the name of god a duet with, ed, blooody, shearan??? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Carol25

Oh my God, Scooter Braun has bought all of Taylor’s work. Her whole life’s work, 6 albums. How could this happen.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/taylor-swift-scooter-braun-big-machine-worst-case-scenario-853836/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's her own fault. She signed off on how the recording rights and publishing rights are handled. She's a real storm in a tea cup person. Its just a rerun of her spotify dispute from a couple of years ago.

Woooo!!! Taylor!!!!

It's her own fault. She signed off on how the recording rights and publishing rights are handled. She's a real storm in a tea cup person. Its just a rerun of her spotify dispute from a couple of years ago.

Ok not sure where you’re getting your information. She was never given the opportunity to buy her own music unless she signed on to the label for 12 more years, and then had to ‘earn’ them back one by one?!
    What makes this even worse is the buyer of her masters, for Scott Borchetta to sell to Scooter Braun, who has actively tried to defame Taylor’s character on numerous occasions is nasty and spiteful to say the least. He could have sold them to many other bidders...including herself.
    Thirdly because Swift is a powerful woman in music doesn’t make this a ‘storm in a teacup’. She’s standing up for herself and for what’s right for the broader music industry. She released a statement, all the drama is coming from Braun and his associates. Including insiders on twitter saying they’re paid 20k to publish fake news about Taylor...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I've studied how the business side of this works in college. She signed off her publishing and recording rights when she signed her record deal. Nothing has been taken from her. Both herself and her management team know exactly what's going on and why. They are just appealing to the masses here to stir up some controversy, to paint her as a victim. She does it all the time.

I've studied how the business side of this works in college. She signed off her publishing and recording rights when she signed her record deal. Nothing has been taken from her. Both herself and her management team know exactly what's going on and why. They are just appealing to the masses here to stir up some controversy, to paint her as a victim. She does it all the time.

So...it’s ok for others to buy them once her contract expires and not her? Her life’s work? No one is arguing what her original contract stated. Have you read her statement? She clearly states she had made her peace with the fact they might one day be sold, even though she had asked for the opportunity to buy them herself.
    By your logic Taylor Swift knew her life’s work was to be sold to a man she deems her enemy, who got questionable funding for this deal in the first place. A man who’s company is funded by people selling arms to the Saudi’s to bomb the people of Yemen. This is not ok. This is not her playing the victim. Keep believing the Braun propaganda machine or open your eyes.

I have no idea who Bruan is, nor do I care. The simple fact is, she sold them first. Do you claim anything you've sold? Music is no different to any other business when you look at it head first, instead of getting emotionally tied to the product. A carpenter sells a table they've built, it's no longer their table.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

A lot of her songs were co-written with others too, are you annoyed they didn't have the chance to buy them? She's absolutely minted anyway, so couldn't care less. The company took a gamble on her when starting out, the music business was very precarious at the time too. She didn't get it all through songwriting and hard work. An absolute fortune was spent on songwriters, musicians, studio work, marketing and publishing.

I totally understand that a fortune would be spent on marketing, PR, etc. I think though the point is being missed, she didn’t sell her work, she signed a contract which was due for renewal. She made Big Machine records what it is. She was denied the chance to own her master recordings in any shape or form bar get rights to one old album for every new one, what would happen then with the new masters... She is rich and would have bought them i’m sure. Why was her enemy given the deal instead? Her lawyer has issued a statement saying no such deal was offered to her.
    Yes of course she co wrote some music. She never hides from that fact and continuously credits anyone she co writes with from Jack Antanoff to Max Martin. She jumped from country to pop which would be tricky. Might I point out the album Speak Now which is a great album was written solely by herself. The song This Love on 1989 was solely by herself and is my favourite off it. Imogen Heap co wrote Clean with her off 1989, you should google what she said about the process. Taylor isn’t just a little pop puppet like Justin Bieber...

• Advertisement

Her position is no different than anyone else. She didn't have to sell them in the first place. Damien Dempsey is a case point for that. It's all a woe is me thing.

Her position is no different than anyone else. She didn't have to sell them in the first place. Damien Dempsey is a case point for that. It's all a woe is me thing.

I wonder would you feel differently if this was happening to Damien Dempsey. I find it hard to believe that Damien Dempsey wouldn’t jump at the opportunity she was given at 15 and take it...
    Just because ‘this happens to everyone in music’, doesn’t make it right. If you’re a fan of music in general you’d support what she’s trying to do. It’s gone to the dogs these days anyway.

You'd think she had a new album coming out or something and was in the line of drumming up any free publicity.

Suggest you read about how Michael Jackson bought the Beatles rights, based on a conversation with Paul McCartney.

Far far better artists, artists who really did 100% of the writing, composition etc have had the same problem, but found novel ways around it eventually.

Weepsie wrote: »
    You'd think she had a new album coming out or something and was in the line of drumming up any free publicity.

Suggest you read about how Michael Jackson bought the Beatles rights, based on a conversation with Paul McCartney.

Far far better artists, artists who really did 100% of the writing, composition etc have had the same problem, but found novel ways around it eventually.

She risks her whole career by going public with this dispute just to promote an album? God what I just cannot figure out is why does everyone have a problem with her. She’s just a middle of the road star. Btw Paul and Stella McCartney are big fans of her ðŸ˜. I would suggest stop reading false click bait headlines and find facts.
    I’ve followed her closely since 2017 as I can see a change in her methods of communication. Firstly she’s constantly in rainbow dresses and is sending clear signals she’s not straight. Many believe she was about to come out when hey presto her masters are bought by someone to try and control her and prevent their profits taking a dive if she does.
    I was never a Beatles fan btw, bar a few songs I play myself on the piano.

Everyone should listen to Ryan Adams' cover of 1989..

Absolutely epic..

Carol25 wrote: »
    I wonder would you feel differently if this was happening to Damien Dempsey. I find it hard to believe that Damien Dempsey wouldn’t jump at the opportunity she was given at 15 and take it...
    Just because ‘this happens to everyone in music’, doesn’t make it right. If you’re a fan of music in general you’d support what she’s trying to do. It’s gone to the dogs these days anyway.

It hasn't gone to the dogs. The issues you seem to think are rife stopped in the 80's because more musicians were educated. I'm not even into Damien's music, but I know what he did with his business side of things. And he was just a guy in a bedroom. If something happened to Taylor when she was 15, it's her parents to blame as she wouldn't have been able to sign the contracts.

It hasn't gone to the dogs. The issues you seem to think are rife stopped in the 80's because more musicians were educated. I'm not even into Damien's music, but I know what he did with his business side of things. And he was just a guy in a bedroom. If something happened to Taylor when she was 15, it's her parents to blame as she wouldn't have been able to sign the contracts.

The current top 10 Spotify chart for Ireland is useless bar maybe the no.1 duet with Cabello&Mendes, Dermot Kennedy and Lewis Capaldi. Would bands such as U2, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Oasis, Blur, Coldplay make it in today’s world of Billie Eilish...

What's your point with Spotify Charts? It's a very odd tangent to make here. As they are pretty much such a subscription service to a catalogue of music and it's a reflection of what people are listening to by region and genre. They don't invest, produce or go too heavy in the promotion of individuals. Some artists/bands that are quite popular, they do what BBC and MTV did, get a small studio session thing going. But that's about it. Small independant bands are putting their demos on it now instead of Soundcloud, Bandcamp and Reverbnation. It's hard to find them on it, because they don't have the time/manpower to put into promoting themselves.

I understand what you’re saying re independent bands and demos which can be positive but only if they gain traction or a substantial social media push. Spotify charts would be relevant to this conversation i assumed when discussing music today and its current state? Most people nowadays hear new artists, new music, etc, through social media and to some extent radio play. The current top 10 on the day I checked whenever that was, in my opinion was awful. Bar the three songs I mentioned. I know it’s just my opinion, but I just don’t count say Stormyz, Billy Eilish, etc., as being in the same league at all as big stars from the past. It seems more about the art or making a political statement. And I could be looking back with rose tinted glasses I know!

You dont count stormzy, a guy who headlined Glastonbury recently as anything significant? I've not listened to his music, but if he's going to be billing highly in an major festival, expect him to be charting. The charts where never a pick of the day kind of thing.

• Advertisement

Exactly my point, music today is all nichEs. Stormzy is a poor headline act in comparison to say Coldplay, Kodaline, Guns n Roses, etc. I’ve played some of his videos on YouTube, I know it’s just my opinion but I don’t really count it as music...read an interesting article recently re Taylor Swift and Katy Perry. Both are charting way below where they used to, the article was referencing the fact that mainstream pop, rock, etc al was becoming obsolete to rap, slapstick pop I think it’s called? (Eilish), and other niche music genres. I personally hope it isn’t true.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Does Taylor write/make much of her own music? Maybe 20%? The writers and the producers of her music should probably own more of her songs than herself when you think about it.

Exactly my point, music today is all nichEs. Stormzy is a poor headline act in comparison to say Coldplay, Kodaline, Guns n Roses, etc. I’ve played some of his videos on YouTube, I know it’s just my opinion but I don’t really count it as music...read an interesting article recently re Taylor Swift and Katy Perry. Both are charting way below where they used to, the article was referencing the fact that mainstream pop, rock, etc al was becoming obsolete to rap, slapstick pop I think it’s called? (Eilish), and other niche music genres. I personally hope it isn’t true.

Ah here. Not that I was taking you very seriously anyway, but cmon. They are one of the dreariest, most insipid bands going. Truly awful stuff. A headline act they are not.

Music has forever been changing. What is "pop" 20 years ago was not "pop" 10 years later and or now, and what is about now, won't be "pop" in 10 years. Don't get defined by genres and just listen to what it is you like. Personally can't stand TS, but each to their own (except Kodaline, they're dreadful, though not Coronas level of dreadful)

Maybe don't use spotify and go out and buy an album, go to the gigs, buy direct from artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

keithkk16 wrote: »
    Does Taylor write/make much of her own music? Maybe 20%? The writers and the producers of her music should probably own more of her songs than herself when you think about it.

Yes she's an amazing song writer. This is what the producer Ryan Tedder said about her.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hellogiggles.com/reviews-coverage/music/ryan-tedder-taylor-swift-a-musical-prodigy/amp/

"She is pound for pound the most talented writer of any artist I’ve ever worked with,” he divulged of the “Welcome to New York” singer—a song they worked on together. He continued,

“Taylor is the only artist that I’ve worked with that has the complete skillset. If she weren’t an artist, she’d be the number one songwriter in the world. If she weren’t a songwriter, she’d be the number one artist in the world.”

On the 1989 album she included the voice mails she sent to Tedder. These are rough versions she has in her head for songs on the new album. I'll try find links you can see she has the song pretty much complete before it gets to the producer.

Yeah, heard her talking about songwriting at one stage..
    She's very much the real deal..

Wooo.. Taylor!!..

Weepsie wrote: »

Ah here. Not that I was taking you very seriously anyway, but cmon. They are one of the dreariest, most insipid bands going. Truly awful stuff. A headline act they are not.

Music has forever been changing. What is "pop" 20 years ago was not "pop" 10 years later and or now, and what is about now, won't be "pop" in 10 years. Don't get defined by genres and just listen to what it is you like. Personally can't stand TS, but each to their own (except Kodaline, they're dreadful, though not Coronas level of dreadful)

Maybe don't use spotify and go out and buy an album, go to the gigs, buy direct from artists.

Oh dear, I think I wouldn’t enjoy your music playlist very much if you think Coldplay are useless 😅.

keithkk16 wrote: »

Yes she's an amazing song writer. This is what the producer Ryan Tedder said about her.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hellogiggles.com/reviews-coverage/music/ryan-tedder-taylor-swift-a-musical-prodigy/amp/

"She is pound for pound the most talented writer of any artist I’ve ever worked with,” he divulged of the “Welcome to New York” singer—a song they worked on together. He continued,

“Taylor is the only artist that I’ve worked with that has the complete skillset. If she weren’t an artist, she’d be the number one songwriter in the world. If she weren’t a songwriter, she’d be the number one artist in the world.”

On the 1989 album she included the voice mails she sent to Tedder. These are rough versions she has in her head for songs on the new album. I'll try find links you can see she has the song pretty much complete before it gets to the producer.

I agree I think she’s a brilliant artist, very underrated too in Europe it seems. It wasn’t until I started paying more attention to her and her music tho that I came to this conclusion. There’s a lot of negative press generated by just being Taylor Swift for some reason which is a sad reflection on modern society today. She stands up for herself re the issue of who her master recordings were sold to, she’s ‘throwing a tantrum’. If it were a man who stood up for himself, he would be labeled courageous and brave.

Oh dear, I think I wouldn’t enjoy your music playlist very much if you think Coldplay are useless ��.

I highlighted Kodaline, not Coldplay. I merely think Coldplay are both critically overrated and underrated depending on which side you are, but are a fantastic live band. There are plenty of better bands, but I have time for them,

Their most recent stuff is awful however

• Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone else here a big fan of Taylor? Her new single is very cryptic as it refers to tweets at 7am which Trump is famed for! I really like the new single overall. But I especially love her early country music. My favourites are Fearless, Speak now, Red and 1989. It seems there’s a concerted campaign against her always on social media and other outlets. She doesn’t do any harm and her music is by far and away the best that’s on offer currently. So why the hate?

I heard it on the radio yesterday and I'd say its more about randomers on the internet slagging her off.

Not a Trump bashing song methinks.

• Advertisement

New album is brilliant, absolutely love it! Cornelia Street, London Boy, The Man, Soon you’ll get better, Afterglow, etc, etc...not to mention the title track Lover!

Advertisement