Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭ratracer

eugyoung wrote: »
    Bank of Ireland where is Apple Pay I have banked with you as a priemer account holder for 20 year and I'm running out of patience with you on apple and android pay I want to know when you will enable this service or our 20 year relationship will have to come to a end I have also got British bank accounts and they all support apple pay please resolve this ASAP 

+1 on this query! What is the delay in implementing Apple Pay, and is there any launch date in the foreseeable future?
    Banks offer very little customer service these days, and the very least they need to do is to keep convenience for their customers. I’ve been a patient long term BOI customer, but not having this facility is enough to make me question my bank loyalty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We currently do not have plans to introduce Apply Pay.

If this changes we will update it here and on our websites.

Thank you for your continued interest.

Lorna

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭ratracer

Hi there,

Lorna

Thanks for the prompt reply Lorna, though it is a very disappointing answer to be honest. I guess I’ll have to look at other banking options.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Hi there,

Lorna
    Lorna,

So you are saying there is no plan... That means you haven't even planned for it. So the best time could be 18 months minimum, if even a planned project done in that time in Bank of Ireland.

I would point this is becoming embarrassing to Bank of Ireland. Could we ask what has higher priority in Bank of Ireland and how this is other priority is better than your competitors especially in the Information Technology space.

And just confirm you have no plans to implement ApplePay (or Google Pay), this is to say that this technology is not going to be embraced. You are effectively taking a stance like Bill Gates when he said [font=arial, sans-serif] "The [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]internet is just a passing fad[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]"...[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Are Bank of Ireland saying that Apple Pay [/font](and Google Pay)[font=arial, sans-serif] is some passing fad?[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi CowboyTed,

Thanks for your feedback.

We're sorry that you are unhappy with the responses that we're able to give. We can help with general banking queries here on Boards.

We will notify our customers on any changes to products or services as information becomes available to us.

We will not be able to discuss business sensitive information here on Boards, which would include future development plans.

Thanks,

Lorna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭cloudhopper19

I was a BOI customer for 26 years but fed up waiting for them to get with the times. I switched to AIB very easy to do online and they support apple pay. Also revolut now support apple pay in Ireland. Both easy to set up and straight forward. 

• Registered Users Posts: 35 grape86

I will be switching Bank also because of this.. get with the times BOI!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

grape86 wrote: »
    I will be switching Bank also because of this.. get with the times BOI!!
    Quite frankly, if you want Apple Pay your are right and this is the only way to go.

There has been numerous threads on this forum about Apple Pay in the past few years and they all go the same way: people ask about it and express their frustration, Bank of Ireland reps give an vague reply saying this is not planned for in the near future, and then after a few pages of complaints the thread eventually gets closed if it doesn't dry up on its own. See exemple of such a previous thread and I assume this one will just be the same: https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057928423/

in Apr 2018 you announced that Apple & Google pay options would be coming to your offerings

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/bank-of-ireland-reveal-apple-pay-and-android-pay-are-on-the-way-for-its-customers-36851458.html

Its 15 months since that announcement

Can you confirm that you are taking the piss and have no intentions of implementing these services and that customers should look to other more modern banks instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

in Apr 2018 you announced that Apple & Google pay options would be coming to your offerings

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/bank-of-ireland-reveal-apple-pay-and-android-pay-are-on-the-way-for-its-customers-36851458.html

Its 15 months since that announcement

Can you confirm that you are taking the piss and have no intentions of implementing these services and that customers should look to other more modern banks instead

Hi DaCor,

Thanks for posting. As mentioned, we do not have any update or information in relation to mobile payments and we will let our customers know if this changes via our websites.

Thanks
    Tara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭[Steve]

Have to agree with the countless threads and discussions elsewhere online. Bank of Ireland seems to be stuck in the mid-2000's with the adoption of any new technology.

1. No Apple/Android/Samsung Pay support - while your competitors are miles ahead.
    2. Your iOS/Android apps, while functional, do not support biometric authentication, still relying on archaic PIN codes, DOB, phone numbers, etc. (iPad app especially is clunky and poorly made). Again, something that AIB, KBC, etc all support.
    3. Your website makes completing simple transactions or payments more complicated than you would experience with other banks.

The only positive thing I can say about BOI is your customer support lines. Whenever I have to call the issues are resolved and done so efficiently. Otherwise it feels like I'm stepping into 2009 instead of 2019 when using your services.

The fact that I prefer viewing my Bank of Ireland balance through the KBC app should speak volumes.

Nothing will change, a BOI rep will reply with a canned response. Just more feedback about how poor BOI really has become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Thanks Steve for joining the thread.

Although we're not in a position here to make these changes we do appreciate the comments and feedback and you can be reassured it's passed onto our Digital and Development Team. Appreciate the positive mention for our Advisors by phone.

Many thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bryanholland

CowboyTed wrote: »
    How much longer... Have you even got a expected date?

Have you started the project to have Apple Pay?
    Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch with us through Boards.

We've no up date on this but we'll be sure to let everyone know if there is any change with this.

Thanks again,
    Darren.
    Darren,

Sorry.. But this answer (which is a stock answer from all in BOI) just cannot be acceptable...

Is Bank of Ireland working on a Solution?

If they have we would have expected that Bank of Ireland started months ago. Is it fair to presume this?

If Yes, What is the Expected time of Delivery of the Solution...

If No, Why did it take so long to start?

Bank of Ireland has been very frustrating on this issues with a blackout of information, does Bank of Ireland find this as a productive method of communicating with a customer. 

Failure to give us more information (expected date of delivery) would presume that Bank of Ireland has no plan for a solution and thus don't see this issues as a priority. This would suggest that Bank of Ireland is happy not having Apple Pay and are going to concentrate on other customer services. If this is the case, me and many of your customers are fine and we can consider our future banking needs.

I'm sorry that you're unhappy with my answer, we don't have any further information on this.
    As mentioned please be assured that we will let everyone know through all our social media channels including on this post if we do get any update on this.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

Who in bank of Ireland can make a decision to get Apple Pay?
    We your customers want Apple Pay. Most retail stores have it.We have being waiting 5 years!
    We want normal customer service. Ever other bank have it. 
    Tell us please if you can or not able to give us Apple Pay.
    Then we can go to another bank or stay with the old fashioned/behind the times bank of Ireland 
    Thanks 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kathryne

Hi Bryanholland,

Thanks for reaching out to us here.

We intend to integrate phone payments in the future but we can't currently confirm timings. We will be sure to share any new updates we have here on Boards and across our social channels.

Many thanks,
    Kat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Hi Bryanholland,

We intend to integrate phone payments in the future but we can't currently confirm timings. We will be sure to share any new updates we have here on Boards and across our social channels.

Many thanks,
    Kat
    The AIB app is at 4.33.18 & it's updated practically every month (12 updates since last year), the BOI app on the other hand is at 1.7.8 & it's last update was 2 years ago, 5 updates in last 5 years

It's really frustrating seeing my friends ordering a beer with their apple watch or phone at the bar, while I need to carry around another piece of plastic with me everywhere I go.

BOI is my only account since I opened it 5 years ago but it's really starting to annoy me how obsolete the application is, and how there seems to be very little movement on getting Apple Pay. I understand systems need to be tested, but whoever has the date on the whiteboard in BOI head office needs to get the finger out.

This comes down to the 4 reps on this site too, please ensure you relay this information back to the team...

I will be applying for a mortgage in next year, and will move my account to AIB if there's been no update on this by March 2020. 

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Hi Bryanholland,

Many thanks,
    Kat
    The AIB app is at 4.33.18 & it's updated practically every month (12 updates since last year), the BOI app on the other hand is at 1.7.8 & it's last update was 2 years ago, 5 updates in last 5 years

It's really frustrating seeing my friends ordering a beer with their apple watch or phone at the bar, while I need to carry around another piece of plastic with me everywhere I go.

BOI is my only account since I opened it 5 years ago but it's really starting to annoy me how obsolete the application is, and how there seems to be very little movement on getting Apple Pay. I understand systems need to be tested, but whoever has the date on the whiteboard in BOI head office needs to get the finger out.

This comes down to the 4 reps on this site too, please ensure you relay this information back to the team...

I will be applying for a mortgage in next year, and will move my account to AIB if there's been no update on this by March 2020. 
    I've been banking with BOI for many years and share your frustration. However, rather than wait, I've just got myself a Revolut card. Haven't used my bank of Ireland Debit card since I got the revolt card. Just transfer money from my current account to my revolut account when I need to. Takes about 20 seconds. I now can use apple pay from my phone like all my AIB banking friends! The flexibility and control it gives you is great and the app gives brilliant analytical info so you can see how you're spending all your money. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

mosesgun wrote: »
    I've been banking with BOI for many years and share your frustration. However, rather than wait, I've just got myself a Revolut card. Haven't used my bank of Ireland Debit card since I got the revolt card. Just transfer money from my current account to my revolut account when I need to. Takes about 20 seconds. I now can use apple pay from my phone like all my AIB banking friends! The flexibility and control it gives you is great and the app gives brilliant analytical info so you can see how you're spending all your money. 

Hi Mosesgun,

I’ve considered Revolut, but want to keep all my banking with one provider so I don’t have to transfer each time.

I’m going into AIB during the week to open an account, not even a response on this from BOI!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

FionnK86 wrote: »
    mosesgun wrote: »

Hi Mosesgun,

I’ve considered Revolut, but want to keep all my banking with one provider so I don’t have to transfer each time.

I’m going into AIB during the week to open an account, not even a response on this from BOI!
    Fair play to you. It's staggering really their lack of a coherent strategy with this. Surely people must be leaving every day because of it. 

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Cheezypuf

I have a BOI commercial credit card. I’ve tried to register it with Apple Pay but I get a message saying the card issuer doesn’t support Apple Pay. Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Cheezypuf wrote: »
    I have a BOI commercial credit card.  I’ve tried to register it with Apple Pay but I get a message saying the card issuer doesn’t support Apple Pay.  Any thoughts?
    Hi There, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us here today. To look into this further we would recommend that you raise this with our credit card services team directly on 0818 251 251 and our colleagues here will be more than happy to help with this. The team is available Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.

We hope this helps.

Thanks Jen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

I have a BOI commercial credit card.  I’ve tried to register it with Apple Pay but I get a message saying the card issuer doesn’t support Apple Pay.  Any thoughts?
    Same issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Same issue
    Hi CowboyTed,

We have checked this further and Apple Pay is available for the following card types:

• Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland and UK Personal debit cards
    • All Commercial debit cards
    • Republic of Ireland personal credit cards

Apologies for any confusion caused.

Thanks
    Tara

Advertisement