Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best piece of music there is in your opinion?

Options
  • 31-05-2019 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭

I love a huge range of music, from rap and hip hop to classical and sean nos, hard techno and house to pop and folk. But the one piece I cannot get enough of is Andre Rieu's up tempo composition of the Hallelujah Chorus. He has conducted many versions but the one below is the best in my opinion. Especially with the volume as high as I can bare:

Okay I'll allow two only. This is my second; Cosmic Gate's club mix Firewire ( It really kicks in at 4.50 ).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=61kc3Rs_xNQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Obviously everyone has massively different taste, but this is a rock song.

I used to watch WWE wrestling. Was a massive fan of it. Around 2000 onwards, WWE started cross promoting with 'real' music artists (rather than doing it all in-house) to spread themselves out a bit. In 2002, they wrote a song and it was performed by a band called Finger Eleven (I'd never heard of them, either!). The wrestler (Kane) got his theme performed by them, and I've been in love with it, ever since.

There are so many random aspects to it, like the music dropping out to emphasise lyrics, the 'wah-wah' guitar effect (that's presumably computerised up a bit, but nonetheless a musical piece), the altering of the vocals from being soft and light to screaming and heavy, the drum beat throughout, etc. It's just an all-in-all fairly 'experimental' song in my opinion, but it really works.

They (WWE) stopped using it over a decade ago, as the Kane character evolved a bit, but it's still my overall favourite song in day to day life, and has been my ringtone consistently since 2003 :D

I'd definitely recommend a listen (don't be put off by the WWE aspect - though it's fair to say a lot of the music used in WWE is actually very good for what it is!).

EDIT: For anyone interested; here it is in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P9ikldSjq8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

When I opened the thread, this is the first piece to come to mind.
    Having heard it live, conducted by Mr Morricone himself this year, makes it even more special.

Tomorrow I might choose differently, who knows?
    But today, this makes my heart skip a beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Gizmo55 wrote: »

That whole album is a masterpiece.

My own favourite song would have to be this:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

That is an interesting question.
    I'm torn between trying to take the question literally and answer that way, as in, the best music irrespective of my taste but that is kind of impossible isn't it.

I've always being extremely impressed with orchestral music but more from what it took to envisage it and write it maybe than to play it and while I love dance music (particularly deep house and progressive trance), I can see how equipment these days does make it easier (I imagine for people to create).

So..... best. music. ever. As opposed to best best performance? or best performer? or best album? or best concert? hmmmm...

I think maybe something like this.

Or maybe, this, particularly from 2:43 until about 3:20.

But, if I am able to prepare for the moment of my departure from this planet, I'd like to think my final minutes are spent drifting off to sleep with this in my ears.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Way too broad a question for me really. Had a list but just got too long so here's one at random from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5 rogni toyda

This is what came to mind straight away. I'm not into classical music that much but love this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

This is what came to mind straight away. I'm not into classical music that much but love this one.

yer wan's a bit of a speed merchant. great player no doubt but she tends to up the tempo a bit too much for me.

same piece, I prefer the pacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Advertisement