Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy Tumor on Gum - treatment with and without medical card

Options
  • 18-09-2019 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I hope someone can help with advice and TIA. I developed a ‘pregnancy tumor’ (benign growth) or pyogenic granuloma during my pregnancy and it’s it is still there three months postpartum. Due to its location at the front of my mouth and size I’m finding it difficult to bite off food (profuse bleeding occurs) and I’ve developed a lisp when I don’t slow down my speech.
    My GP has said there is nothing I can do as it is really a job for dentist. I have a medical card and very little experience going to the dentist (thankfully my teeth are in good condition and I’ve only ever needed two fillings in my adult life). I called my regular dental practice and the receptionist was not very informative at all. She wasn’t sure what I was talking about (it’s apparently rare/uncommon to acquire one during pregnancy) and said to come on in for a look.
    The issue is I don’t have a heap of money at the moment due to baby and college. I’ve read the medical card coverage guidelines online and accepted I might have to live with this until I can afford to pay for treatment myself.

I just wanted to ask if you think this might be covered by a medical card?
    Am I better off saving up? If yes, would anyone have a recommendation for a dental practice which can cauterize off this growth? Could you hazzard a guess on how much this might cost?

Thanks again to anyone who can provide input

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Fishorsealant

If you visit a dentist then they could offer you a referral because it is really a job for an oral surgeon or max fac unit. They should be able to give you a proper diagnosis and treatment plan/cost of treatment.

If you go private then, depending on what type of patient you are, you may need to factor in the cost of sedation too.

In the mean while you can practice optimal oral hygiene around the area and try and keep it plaque free.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Op, this granulomatous tissue is simple and quick procedure to remove. Your regular dentist will do it in a couple of minutes. Cost wise, probably less than €100.

Advertisement