Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice 2019

Options
  • 15-09-2019 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭

No official start date but probably 9th October assuming the final is last week Sunday before Christmas.

The media launch must be soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,290 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Announced today as starting on Wednesday, October 2 at 9pm.

Claude and Karren are unsurprisingly back as Lord Sugar's assistants and as previously reported, Rhod Gilbert will be replaced by fellow comedian Tom Allen when The Apprentice's companion show, You're Fired, returns.

Less than two weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Were any of the recent years series any good? I drifted away from it a few years ago, cant remember why, I always enjoyed it. Any recent series worth a download?

Thargor wrote: »
    Were any of the recent years series any good? I drifted away from it a few years ago, cant remember why, I always enjoyed it. Any recent series worth a download?

They're pretty good but the final few weeks of the last couple of years become a bit testing and there have been either really bad ideas or really bad winners in the final.

2013 was the first year I watched it and really enjoyed it and the contestants. For me, every year since has been shades less enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I don't think The Apprentice has gotten a whole lot worst over the years. It's more the law of diminishing returns at work where we've seen it all before.

With each season it becomes more obvious that this is a reality TV show that's sole aim is to entertain the masses as opposed to being a vehicle for Alan Sugar to nurture any sort of talent or business proposition. Once you're good with that and content in seeing the same archetypes have the same argument doing the same task then you'll get some enjoyment out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

The big difference I see in the programme over the last few years is that nobody seems to win* a task anymore so much as one team just doesn't lose as badly as the other!!!

I would love to see a situation were the PMs from both teams get fired for being useless and/or all three who were brought back get fired, that would make it interesting again.

* yes, I know there is technically a winner but sometimes the win is so poor its hardly counts as such :(

coL wrote: »
    The big difference I see in the programme over the last few years is that nobody seems to win* a task anymore so much as one team just doesn't lose as badly as the other!!!

I would love to see a situation were the PMs from both teams get fired for being useless and/or all three who were brought back get fired, that would make it interesting again.

* yes, I know there is technically a winner but sometimes the win is so poor its hardly counts as such :(

Well in fairness two years ago, both finalists were winners which was total horsesh*t. You are right though, it has seemed to stray towards finding the 'least bad' rather than finding the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

October 2nd is the starting date and there will be an Irish contestant
    Dubliner Pamela Laird (29) is no stranger to success in the entrepreneurial world, given that she founded the successful Moxi Loves range in 2017, which is now stocked in Penneys.
    She confirmed the good news on her Instagram account yesterday, saying how she hoped she would have "the luck of the Irish" when it came to appearing on the hit BBC show.

The glamorous entrepreneur, who started off learning the ropes at her mum's beauty salon in Terenure, described competing on the show as being the "most challenging experience of my life and by far the most fun". She will shortly be seen battling it out with 15 other hopefuls for the coveted €283,000 investment in their business idea, with the show airing on BBC October 2.

Ms Laird, who hit headlines after turning down an investment offer on RTE's Dragon's Den, puts her success down to her "entrepreneurial gene". She describes herself as "feisty and passionate, with a charismatic personality", so she should be good at the sales tasks on the BBC show. Asked about her weaknesses, she said she can be impatient and demanding, while often finding it difficult to delegate tasks. "I love to be the underestimated person in the room," she added.
    https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/meet-the-irish-hopeful-on-new-series-of-the-apprentice-38532824.html

The first episode is set in
    South Africa. I wonder who can offend the locals the quickest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Remember where they sent them to Marrakesh or somewhere on the treasure hunt and one of the challenges was to get some Hallal meat and nobody on the teams knew what that meant so they got a random butcher in the market to say a prayer over a lump of chicken or something and brought that back :P

Remember where they sent them to Marrakesh or somewhere on the treasure hunt and one of the challenges was to get some Hallal meat and nobody on the teams knew what that meant so they got a random butcher in the market to say a prayer over a lump of chicken or something and brought that back :P

Or the flag that was too small or Zee who claimed that he knew Dubai like the back of his hand and misunderstood everything and got lost. What a numpty.

Hilarious to watch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I rewatched some series on YouTube a while ago. Not sure if they’re still there but could have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Or the time they were on Malta and asked to get an piece of scuba diving equipment called an octopus but they went straight to the fish markets and bought an octopus.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

And, once again, no-one from outside England.

There’s an Irish woman in it.

Time for me to comment on the candidates again, I guess...

Eight men and eight women. All aged between 19 and 36. All conventionally good-looking. Some of them black or of Asian descent. Most of them from the London, Manchester and Birmingham metropolitan areas.

And, once again, no-one from outside England.

I can certainly see why the Beeb and Mark Burnett wouldn't be inclined to select applicants aged 40 or over. Indeed, only two such applicants have been selected in the show's 15-year history - 41-year-old Jaz Ampaw-Farr in 2013 (who was first to be fired), and 47-year-old Ruth Whiteley in 2015 (who didn't get much further).

But surely they wouldn't exclude someone simply because they're from Glasgow, Cardiff, Dublin, or anywhere else that is Not In England - even if they tick all the other boxes (aged under 40, conventionally good-looking, thinks they're a really good businessperson, not fazed at all by Sugar and his aides)? As I said last year, Ofcom would surely have to get involved if this was the case...

There was a contestant last year from Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

So starts tonight and it promises to be a cracker. One of them dosn't know the difference between a Rhino and an Elephant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Quite a collection of arseholes, sorry, candidates on the show so far but I’ll watch it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

And we're off and running...

Read the other day that the winner has been bragging causing a huge headache for the BBC to try and keep it quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Cockney Robbie from Fair City is gas

• Advertisement

Some gorgeous female candidates.

Some gorgeous female candidates.

The Latina sub-manager is my favourite so far :D

2300 south African rand is 552 euros. Thats a hell of a lot for a one day wine tasting trip that doesn't include food.

I think Lubda is my favourite but it's close.

This is cringey. Do none of them think to learn some facts?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I always cringe when the candidates use terms like "luxury" in these tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

2300 south African rand is 552 euros. Thats a hell of a lot for a one day wine tasting trip that doesn't include food.

Its about €140

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I think those elephants will win it for the lads

By jaysus I wish my librarian looked like that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The same corporation that gives us David Attenborough's concern for the environment gives us flying these 16 dopes plus production crews all the way to South Africa.

Advertisement