Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

sonic85 wrote: »
    Why start throwing digs after a performance like that? Whelan had a great game tonight but he's also had many stinkers in green over the years. I'm not his biggest fan but he did really well tonight. Here's hoping he and the rest of the team can keep up that level of performance for the rest of the campaign. Even if we don't qualify it'll be great to watch!

Cos of the terrible bile post someone put up when the team sheet was announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fair play to ya Seamus Coleman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Amazing the way Switzerland -v- Denmark ended.
    3-0 until the 84th minute and ends 3-3 to put us top

Good right now, but we might end up looking back at those 3 late goals as damaging to us in the end

Here’s hoping not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Damien Duff is a gowl. "It added on three minutes"... does he know how added time work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

noodler wrote: »
    Cos of the terrible bile post someone put up when the team sheet was announced.

Dont think there was any OTT posts. Saw a few saying they didn't want Whelan in the starting 11? Anyway doesn't really matter. Great night

COYBIG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Good performance overall and great to see Whelan continue his good form at Villa with Ireland. Conor Hourihane can hit a free kick and should have a stick with him at all times that if he Brady steps within five feet of a set piece he's allowed hit him with it. McGoldrick was excellent tonight but still think we should be going 352 to give us that two up while keeping three in midfield.

Maximum points was needed and with Gibraltar at home next it should be 9/9 heading to Copenhagen. Good week results wise for Irish teams with the 21s winning and the 19s qualifying for a major tournament in the summer.

Good performance overall and great to see Whelan continue his good form at Villa with Ireland. Conor Hourihane can hit a free kick and should have a stick with him at all times that if he Brady steps within five feet of a set piece he's allowed hit him with it. McGoldrick was excellent tonight but still think we should be going 352 to give us that two up while keeping three in midfield.

Maximum points was needed and with Gibraltar at home next it should be 9/9 heading to Copenhagen. Good week results wise for Irish teams with the 21s winning and the 19s qualifying for a major tournament in the summer.

Denmark away next.

sugarman wrote: »
    Justifiable response to the constant digs at Whelan IMO.

How many stinkers has Hendrick, Brady, McCarthy etc.. have without half as much criticism? Probably the about the same amount, if not more.

Its laughable.

Whelan has had double the amount of games of any of those lads. I've seen loads of criticism of those players you've mentioned so I dont really get your point. Look at this forum or any other forum after a game and you'll see posts about how Hendrick hasn't had a good game since France in the Euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

noodler wrote: »
    Where are you weldinhooooo

One alright game out of 86, at the age of 35. Hopefully McCarthy etc are back from injury soon.

Also idiotic of him to throw a tennis ball back into the crowd. If the match officials/delegate saw it he’ll be looking at a ban.

• Advertisement

. Hopefully McCarthy etc are back from injury soon.

McCarthy has been injury free for a couple of months now. But he's not getting a sniff at Everton

One alright game out of 86, at the age of 35. Hopefully McCarthy etc are back from injury soon.

Also idiotic of him to throw a tennis ball back into the crowd. If the match officials/delegate saw it he’ll be looking at a ban.

One yeah?

Well add Mick to the other five managers who see something you don't over the last decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,400 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Glenn Whelan. Couldn’t get near the Georgians last time we played them. Poisonous. Mick looking for a 0-0, at home, against Georgia. Pathetic.

Keep on keeping on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Cotts72

On a brief sidenote, whos that winger that came into squad after the summer from the championship? Half-cast english born.. Is he injured?

Bollocks, whenever a teamsheet is named with Whelan in it comment sections across social media and message boards like here go into meltdown, flooded with "FFS Whelan" ":mad::mad::mad:" etc.. comments.

Never a similar mention of Hendrick, Arter, McCarthy or Brady or whoever else.

In fact, its usually people asking why they aren't in the team ahead of him despite being scutter for years.

..and thats before a ball is even kicked.

TBH I think you're exaggerating a bit there. Like I said the rest of those players get criticised too. And youre dead right they have been rubbish for years for the most part but so has Whelan.

Admittedly I only look at a couple of message boards but I've only really noticed a handful of very vocal posters complaining constantly but so what? Is it mandatory to like a player just because he wears green? Personally I'm not gone on Whelan as a player and would've been happy enough if he actually had retired after the last campaign.

This is all moot right now though. He had a great game tonight and deserves praise. I just think the glee that some lads have in calling out other posters because a player gets criticism is a bit sad to be honest.

Cotts72 wrote: »
    On a brief sidenote, whos that winger that came into squad after the summer from the championship? Half-cast english born.. Is he injured?

Only came back from neary 4 months out with a hamstring injury the week the squad was named or the week after I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Just on the way home now.

Have to say was far more entertaining than the last time we hosted Georgia and we could have put a few more in the net. Quality at the final third was lacking but maybe on another night.

McGoldrick was outstanding and the reception he got was brilliant. Had chances he should have done better with but overall work rate and hold up was superb.

Also the anti-Delaney chants have kicked up a level, always the odd ones but it was constant tonight. Someone managed to get in a Delaney Out sign which was met with a thunderous applause. Think the anger towards the FAI and Delaney spurred on the atmosphere tonight.

Think we should chuck tennis balls on before every set piece now if that's the result! Anyway far from perfect but two wins, two cleansheets and maximum points so we have to be happy enough. Need to step it up now before the next round of fixtures though.

Will it be possible to step it up though? That was an excellent performance but is that peak Ireland? The Denmark game will be fascinating really. If we can play at that level again can we get a result against them

I don't know where that angry emoticon came from! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I was delighted with that. Very enjoyable performance, and should have scored more.

sonic85 wrote: »
    Will it be possible to step it up though? That was an excellent performance but is that peak Ireland? The Denmark game will be fascinating really. If we can play at that level again can we get a result against them

I don't know where that angry emoticon came from! :D

I think one or two Danes showed immense disrespect to Ireland in words during the Nations Cup. That will fire us up! I cant remember exactly what they were, but there's some quotes they came out with that need to be printed in large lettering and stuck on the dressing room wall in Copenhagen in June!

I think we can.

We've a 2 week training camp in May ahead of the Denmark and Gibraltar double header.

If Mick can get that kind of performance out this group of players having only worked with them for first time in the space of a week, I think he'll be able to build on that in May having had time to sit down and analysis everything and get down it down to the nitty gritty details with the lads.

Also having others players available like O'Dowda, Robinson and Browne can only do us good. The 3 of them have almost 30 championship goals between them and I think both O'Dowda and Robinson can improve the areas we were weaker in the evening. I.e Brady and McClean.

Cant believe there's not another game till June. After tonight I'd love another game at the weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We've had false dawns before but in 5-10 years time who will be our senior main stays from this possible golden generation coming up ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

PTH2009 wrote: »
    We've had false dawns before but in 5-10 years time who will be our senior main stays from this possible golden generation coming up ???

Pure pie in the sky talk but

Goalkeepers: Travers, Kelleher, Bazunu
    Defenders: O’Connor, Masterson, Dunne, Nolan, O’Shea, Clarke
    Midfielders: Molumby, Ronan, Coventry, Connell, Cullen, Bolger
    Attackers: Connolly, Parrott, Idah, Obafemi, Afolabi, Reghba

If we get 5 players from that we would be flying.

Only came back from neary 4 months out with a hamstring injury the week the squad was named or the week after I think.

Whats his name again?

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Just on the way home now.

Have to say was far more entertaining than the last time we hosted Georgia and we could have put a few more in the net. Quality at the final third was lacking but maybe on another night.

McGoldrick was outstanding and the reception he got was brilliant. Had chances he should have done better with but overall work rate and hold up was superb.

Also the anti-Delaney chants have kicked up a level, always the odd ones but it was constant tonight. Someone managed to get in a Delaney Out sign which was met with a thunderous applause. Think the anger towards the FAI and Delaney spurred on the atmosphere tonight.

Think we should chuck tennis balls on before every set piece now if that's the result! Anyway far from perfect but two wins, two cleansheets and maximum points so we have to be happy enough. Need to step it up now before the next round of fixtures though.

Wonder who he'll be fining for the chants, same way he fines LOI clubs if their fans sing anti FAI/JD chants.

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Whats his name again?

Callum Robinson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

"PSV Eindhoven and Feyenoord have been scouting former Arsenal midfielder Dan Crowley, 21, with a view to a summer move after an impressive campaign with Willem II in the Dutch Eredivisie. (Mail)"

Might be time to cap Dan :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

McGeady and James Collins shortlisted for League One Player of the Year.

Collins will probably win it given that Luton are running away with the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

It's impossible not to be positive about our campaign after a performance like that. An attack-minded team, passing the ball around, and pressing the opposition while they had possession. It's been far, far too long since we have combined all those things.

It also put paid to the "we don't have the players to play any other way" merchants that bought into what Trap and Mon kept spouting. The comparison between Georgia at home in the last campaign and last night a perfect example of what can be achieved with some coaching - a proper shape, a game plan, instructions on how and when to press as a team - and a bit of encouragement to make the players believe they are good enough to play football

I'd have O'Dowda and Robinson in in place of McClean and Brady if fit and available. Alan Browne another option in CM.

Whelan was excellent last night. I didn't think he had that kind of performance in him. Again an indication of him being allowed to play more than just a destructive role. However, he's 35 and we could ideally do with someone else coming into that role.

The under 19s/21s finally looking like producing some players. And a young progressive manager lined up to bring them through into the senior team.

Future of the national team looking a lot better today than it did a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Amazing the way Switzerland -v- Denmark ended.
    3-0 until the 84th minute and ends 3-3 to put us top

Good right now, but we might end up looking back at those 3 late goals as damaging to us in the end

Here’s hoping not

Could easily work in our favour. If they cut each others throats as Mick put it it could give us an opportunity to slip in there. Denmark in particular is a team our players owe one. With the attitude of last night we can hopefully get the better of them in this campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

It's impossible not to be positive about our campaign after a performance like that. An attack-minded team, passing the ball around, and pressing the opposition while they had possession. It's been far, far too long since we have combined all those things.

It also put paid to the "we don't have the players to play any other way" merchants that bought into what Trap and Mon kept spouting. The comparison between Georgia at home in the last campaign and last night a perfect example of what can be achieved with some coaching - a proper shape, a game plan, instructions on how and when to press as a team - and a bit of encouragement to make the players believe they are good enough to play football

I'd have O'Dowda and Robinson in in place of McClean and Brady if fit and available. Alan Browne another option in CM.

Whelan was excellent last night. I didn't think he had that kind of performance in him. Again an indication of him being allowed to play more than just a destructive role. However, he's 35 and we could ideally do with someone else coming into that role.

The under 19s/21s finally looking like producing some players. And a young progressive manager lined up to bring them through into the senior team.

Future of the national team looking a lot better today than it did a few months ago.

I know that us football fans are prone to wild mood swings depending on the previous result but I agree with you; there are lots of reasons to be positive.

I was thinking that this campaign was going to be damage limitation given the previous years, and that the best we could hope for was some signs of progress while the youth team players start coming through and SK takes the helm.

However, qualification should certainly be within our capabilities. The Gibraltar game was rotten but they'll be tricky for Denmark and Switzerland at home, particularly if the weather is similar there. The Danes and Swiss have shown yesterday that although they're able to score, they can leak as well. The fact that both have knocked us out of more than one tournament should really spur on the lads too.

I was looking up some of the youth players who are in the Under-17, 19 and 21s yesterday and it's looking really bright; the likes of Aaron Connolly, Lee O'Connor, Adam Idah, Afolabi, Reghba, Masterson. We'd have to be cautious with putting our hopes on youth stars but at least some of them will surely make names of themselves. The Declan Rice stuff was a real kick in the teeth for all Irish football fans but hopefully we won't have to look back on that with anger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

He can only switch once, paper work is already done. Hes ours regardless if he plays or not.

Would love to see him kick on at either club.

That's reassuring :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Hope with Robinson and O'Dowda back we can avoid having to bring O'Brien on in moments like last night. Might be harsh, but he offers nothing for me.

That counter last night when he kept running at the same pace, taking up the same position as another player, and then not making the dart for the near post when the obvious cross came in was the nail in his coffin for me.

You know you had a stellar night when that's your only complaint though! Great mood around the team today when talking to anyone else who was at the game or watched it. When was the last time everyone was actually looking forward to the next game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Last night was fantastic, I'm still buzzing after it.

It was refreshing to see us play like that, players wanted the ball, it looked like we had an attacking plan with the wingers coming inside and the central midfielders pushing on to support the striker. McGoldrick was a deserved MOTM and played the lone striker role perfectly, he is great with his back to goal and his link up play was superb. Whelan was great at the base of the midfield comfortable in possession where he kept us ticking over and made some great interceptions. Hendrick looked like the Jeff we saw at Euro 2016 again. You can't fault anybodies performance last night and you'd imagine for the Danish game we will lineup something similar, McClean and Brady are probably the most up for grabs positions I would say with Robinson and O'Dowda options to come in for either.

The protest worked well in the end, I was a little skeptical with the timing considering we had a free in a dangerous position but it obviously worked out for us in the end! It was the most effective way of capturing attention on a large scale, looking back on the RTE footage they would probably have avoided talking about anything else such as banners or a protest in the stand, so disrupting the game had to happen. There was a great roar from the crowd after it as well and the atmosphere lifted after the goal went in and in general it was a good atmosphere for a Tuesday night game against Georgia.

There was a lot of positivity around after the game, people were smiling leaving the stadium and plenty of chat between fans about the performance. I forgot this feeling, haven't had it in the Aviva since we bet Bosnia in the playoff. If we want to be qualifying for tournaments you would expect to be beating Georgia at home so don't want to get too carried away, but there was a real feel good factor around the place after the game last night and we can look forward to the next matches in June!

How many players are going on this 'Portugal training camp' ???

Could be bring guys like Crowley and Bamford too entice them too join us ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Bamford can go fu(k off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If they need enticing we don’t want them. The phone rings, they are offered a place in the squad, they either want it or don’t. If they have a legitimate reason for being unavailable ok, but if they need more ‘thinking time’ or to ‘speak with their family’ or any such delaying tactic then nahhh sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

To answer your question about 35 and yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

alta stare wrote: »
    Bamford can go fu(k off.

What message does it send to the players currently in the squad to get in a guy who represented Ireland underage and as soon as England come knocking he fecks off and plays for them at U21 level.

I literally wouldn't buy a ticket for any game with Bamford in the Irish squad. It's taking the utter piss out of the jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

magma69 wrote: »
    What message does it send to the players currently in the squad to get in a guy who represented Ireland underage and as soon as England come knocking he fecks off and plays for them at U21 level.

I literally wouldn't buy a ticket for any game with Bamford in the Irish squad. It's taking the utter piss out of the jersey.

Absolutely.

Ask once and if they even hesitate for a second tell em to piss off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Last night really showed up MON not only for later if tactics and belief in the team, but also for the poor selections he persisted with.

Hourihane - barely getting a look in under MON, picked up MOTM on Saturday, scored the winner last night.

McGoldrick - not even getting picked in the squad latterly under MON. Setup the goal on Saturday. MOTM last night.

Whelan - Retired by MON. Put in his best performance in years past night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

I think Crowley can’t change back now so he is committed

Last night really showed up MON not only for later if tactics and belief in the team, but also for the poor selections he persisted with.

Hourihane - barely getting a look in under MON, picked up MOTM on Saturday, scored the winner last night.

McGoldrick - not even getting picked in the squad latterly under MON. Setup the goal on Saturday. MOTM last night.

One thing I noticed last night was you could constantly hear the management giving instructions to the players nearly all game and even late in the second half ball goes out for a throw to Georgia and our players look as if they're dropping back and camera pans to Mick and he's shouting at everyone and gesturing for them to push up and pressure Georgia for the throw.

Think keane and crowley have committed. Bamford can feck off, allegedly wont make his decision until after the championship season so he can 'focus' on leeds.. Ie. Get promoted and maybe be in with a shot of an england squad next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I know he is playing in Iran and hes a bit of a pup but what about anthony stokes as a striker option? hes a goal scorer unlike the likes of will keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I know he is playing in Iran and hes a bit of a pup but what about anthony stokes as a striker option? hes a goal scorer unlike the likes of will keane.

Oh god no, I'll leave this here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭pgj2015

the police also talk to the likes of ronaldo and lots of other footballers but its what they do on the pitch for us that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The good thing about last night is that we never looked under real threat throughout the game. We held the ball, we knocked it around midfield confidently and reduced them to long balls sometimes.

Compare and contrast to MON or Trapittoni....last night would have been Georgia dominating midfield, knocking it around with us not getting a sniff of the ball and the fans anxious from start to finish with us sitting at the edge of our box dropping back and back.

So refreshing.

The good thing about last night is that we never looked under real threat throughout the game. We held the ball, we knocked it around midfield confidently and reduced them to long balls sometimes.

Compare and contrast to MON or Trapittoni....last night would have been Georgia dominating midfield, knocking it around with us not getting a sniff of the ball and the fans anxious from start to finish with us sitting at the edge of our box dropping back and back.

So refreshing.

I felt nervy watching the 2nd half as I thought Georgia were going too sneak one back tbh and if it wasant for then post they would off but much better confident stuff for us.

We should pick up 3pts at home too Georgia but Denmark Away will be as tough as they come and a loss there will no doubt be damaging esp with the Swiss x2 and Georgia still too play and of course last day out Denmark in the Aviva. Still looking forward to the next round of games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I felt nervy watching the 2nd half as I thought Georgia were going too sneak one back tbh

But that says it all.

Over the past 10 years (literally) if they had got a goal we would have said they fully deserved it for dominating the ball.

At least we come off a game saying "they could have sneaked one" instead of "they deserve it".

Very positive but like you say HUGE tests ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

And to finish it off, in 2018 MON 1 win out of 9, 2019 Mick Mc 2 from 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

pgj2015 wrote: »

Its bollockss that we have no decent strikerss.. Problem is they are all playing at the same level and theres not one thats playing for a decent even mid table prem club, but we have great potential and players who when given the chance can score, Burke who was at Rovers would be my first choice he scored on his debut against USA. Theres Maguire. Theres Hogan? At Villa. And the lad on fire at the moment at Shamrock Rovers. Our problem is as much our creativity in midfield as Mclean and Coleman cant deliver decent balls, Brady can but he cant beat a man. McGeady should be called up again. Even for the last 20 mins of games hed cause havoc running at defencess.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement