Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackburn Rovers Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2021/2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭jrochie

2 games in and we easily look the worst team in the league. We are a million miles away from the team that finished strong last season. We've lost a whole bunch of players and so far have come no where near replacing them.
    In Kean we have a guy who is recognized as a quality coach, Chelsea's interest in him a few years back is evidence of this. We've got owners who came in and promised us the world. Right from the start they spoke of the money they would pump into us, how they planned on building us into a top 4 club again, and promises of champions league football. As soon as the first transfer window opened we were linked with some of the biggest names in soccer, the Beckham's, Kaka's, Ronaldinho's of the world were all on our radar.

Now the reality of the situation we find ourselves in. While Kean might be a fantastic coach, its become pretty obvious that he can't cut it as the manager of a premier league club. Maybe at some stage in the future he will, after a couple of years managing in the lower levels, but right now is when we need him and he just doesn't seem up to it. He comes across as a puppet for the Venkys, a yes man just repeating what they want him to say. To be fair to the man its hard to blame him for it, but its not what the club needs.

In the Venkys group, we have owners to seem to be absolutely clueless. Yes they are successful in their core business in Asia, but running a Chicken Meat Processing company in India is completely different to running a football club in England. Their sacking and Big Sam and quick appointment of Kean was very questionable, and their unrealistic targeting of players in January simply worked to make us a joke to the footballing world. fast forward to the end of the season, and the club has dropped from being a safe mid table team, to a club fighting for survival on the very last day.

We then have the fiasco that was our summer. All our loan signings from last season went back to their clubs. We were lucky to have 2 of the brightest prospects in english football at the club in Jones & Hoillett, and Jones was sold to Man Utd for over £16m. Niko Kalinic moved on for £6m. While we fans questioned why no players were being brought in, rumours started about the state of the finances of the club. They were never proved to be true or false, but have had an extremely damaging effect on the club. Fan's on this site bickered about the truth behind the rumours, as I'm sure they did on many of fan forums. The results was more negativity from fans & media towards the club. No commercial shirt sponsor was announced, with the Prince's trust instead receiving the sponsorship as a donation. Now while this is obviously a very commendable act and a very good cause, one has to question the financial logic behind it in the current climate, especially with all the rumours surrounding the club.

We are now 2 weeks into the new season, and already bottom of the table after 2 very poor performances. Yes we have been unlucky with injuries already, but looking at the players involved no-one should be surprised by this. The squad has no depth in key position. We are making moves for players like Raul, who is obviously a fantastic player and we'd love to have him, but why on earth would he join Blackburn. Last season he played in the semi final of the champions league, his first season away from Real Madrid where he was an adored legend. What in the world could we possibly offer him! Its been said over and over in this forum that we need established Premier League players. I couldn't agree more. We do not need a marquee signing. We need decent hard working players who can get us to a 12-14th place finish. Kean has 12 days to get us those players if we are to have any chance of even fighting for survival this year.

A lot of damage has been done to the club since the take over last year, and a lot of rebuilding needs to be done to save the club. How much of this will be able to be done with Venkys & Kean at the helm i really question. We'd all love to have Mark Hughes back in charge in all honesty if anyone one of you were him, would you want to come back with the current setup? Same goes for any decent & intelligent players, why would you want to play with the club in this state.

Sorry for the negativity in this post but its pretty hard not to be negative at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lemlin wrote: »
    None of the three managers you have named above would touch Blackburn in the current setup. No half decent manager would. Kean is an idiot who obviously doesn't realise the damage he is doing to his own career by hanging onto a job he never should of had a chance of getting.
    I'm sure they would under the right conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

None of the three managers you have named above would touch Blackburn in the current setup. No half decent manager would. Kean is an idiot who obviously doesn't realise the damage he is doing to his own career by hanging onto a job he never should of had a chance of getting..

I agree with you, which is why I am willing to give Kean more time than he deserves, when in an ideal world he should not have been given any time.

I have always feared that Jensen will get the job if Kean got the boot, which for me it is better the devil you know.

As for the descriptions of the game, The BBC are being a bit negative while Kean understandably is being overly positive. The reality of the performance lies somewhere in-between - but I will say we only got into the game once Villa lost their starting line up, which were picking us off easy on the counter attack, and looked to be able to continue to do so.

For me it didn't look like a group of individuals, there was some positive play, some nice passing and moving, but we still seem to lack that player to unlock a defense and that player who is going to score the goals we need.

Hopefully there can be a confidence boosting performance against Sheff Wed, with Petrovic playing the full 90 that can set us up for a massive game at home to Everton.

sundula wrote: »
    I have to disagree the squad is very thin, no competion in all the key areas. Salgado should hang up his boots, the injury has taken its toll and time out of Nelsons career, Dunn's fitness is always a concern, he is not the most mobile and not naturally fit. Roberts has been on the brink of leaving the club for the past 4 or 5 transfer windows. I dont know if Diouf is technically still on the books of Blackburn but I won't expect him to play for us again. He has burnt his bridges. The squad is and has been in bad need of fresh blood. We have no backup to players you listed. Its hard to see where goals will come from.
    We have two key areas that need sorting, we also need a full back as cover for Givet.

On Salgado, I'm not saying for sure he is not done but the team looks absolutely when we don't have possession. If the tactics were in order I don't think Salgado would get caught out like he has done. Since Kean took over Michel has been clearly given instructions to get forward as often as possible, the man hasn't done that for 5 or 6 years never mind the last two at Blackburn. And if the positioning of the midfielders was right in defense then his lack of pace wouldn't be a huge problem. Also we have this Ribeiro guy as cover for him but we have better cover in Brett Emerton who did very well at full back under Mark Hughes a couple of seasons back.

We have N'Zonzi, Pedersen, Dunn, Petrovic and Emerton as well as Mr. Treatment Table Vince Grella for the two central midfield positions and even after them is young Lowe who is very talented. We have Hoilett and Formica for the left side of midfield. Hoilett can also play on the right or as an attacking mid. We have Olsson on the left and cover in Pedersen and Hoilett who can both play over there. Up front is where there is a huge problem as we only have Jason Roberts, Goodwillie, Rochina and Blackman. Mone of these are capable of carrying the load at this point. We don't have an arial threat either. We need a top notch striker and badly.
    At the back there is no cover for Samba and Nelsen only Hanley who is still very young and learning his trade. He should be no.4/5 behind a new signing and Givet who can step inside when there are injuries but only if there is cover for him.

I think 3 players would sort us completely and only the striker has to be an expensive signing out of that lot. Of course two strikers would be nice but its not that bad having Roberts and Goodwillie for cover or to be used in a if we play 2 up top.

For me it didn't look like a group of individuals, there was some positive play, some nice passing and moving, but we still seem to lack that player to unlock a defense and that player who is going to score the goals we need.
    Just on this. We look ok in possession and just ok but when we don't have the ball the players don't seem to have any clue what they should be at. This is completely down to the manager. This was clear against Wolves and there was no change in the Villa game. I'm talking about the forwards and midfield here. Its just far too easy for the opposition to get the ball into our box. Amateurish is the word I'd use to describe our team when not in possession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

eagle eye wrote: »
    We have two key areas that need sorting, we also need a full back as cover for Givet.

On Salgado, I'm not saying for sure he is not done but the team looks absolutely when we don't have possession. If the tactics were in order I don't think Salgado would get caught out like he has done. Since Kean took over Michel has been clearly given instructions to get forward as often as possible, the man hasn't done that for 5 or 6 years never mind the last two at Blackburn. And if the positioning of the midfielders was right in defense then his lack of pace wouldn't be a huge problem. Also we have this Ribeiro guy as cover for him but we have better cover in Brett Emerton who did very well at full back under Mark Hughes a couple of seasons back.

We have N'Zonzi, Pedersen, Dunn, Petrovic and Emerton as well as Mr. Treatment Table Vince Grella for the two central midfield positions and even after them is young Lowe who is very talented. We have Hoilett and Formica for the left side of midfield. Hoilett can also play on the right or as an attacking mid. We have Olsson on the left and cover in Pedersen and Hoilett who can both play over there. Up front is where there is a huge problem as we only have Jason Roberts, Goodwillie, Rochina and Blackman. Mone of these are capable of carrying the load at this point. We don't have an arial threat either. We need a top notch striker and badly.
    At the back there is no cover for Samba and Nelsen only Hanley who is still very young and learning his trade. He should be no.4/5 behind a new signing and Givet who can step inside when there are injuries but only if there is cover for him.

I think 3 players would sort us completely and only the striker has to be an expensive signing out of that lot. Of course two strikers would be nice but its not that bad having Roberts and Goodwillie for cover or to be used in a if we play 2 up top.

We need someone to challenge Robinson in goal, we need cover for Givet and we need a good centre back, look at Wolves getting Roger Johnson for 5 million, we need a central midfielder who can get the ball and create something as a replacment for Dunn. We need a dedicated right winger and we need a striker who will get double figures. Thats without losing Samba.

Alot of the players you mentioned have very little premiership experience and alot have to much. We need experienced heads ready for a battle.

There has to be some genuine competion for places in the squad, you cant have guys knowing that they are guaranteed a start place regardless of form.

We are heading towards the transfer deadline and there are plenty of players at clubs in the premiership who could do a job for us. The Phil Jones money on its own would do alot of strengthening on the squad and thats without a loan signing or two.

Blackburn dont have great financial resources but we have shown that we can give benchers warmers an opportunity to play and prove themselves - Bentley, Santa Cruz, Bellamy.

I would like to see us target Santa Cruz, Nedum Onucha and Weiss from City, Bellamy, Bassong, Hutton, Bentley and Kranjcar from Spurs even Danny Rose on loan.

If QPR are trying for Scott Parker then we should try to. We need to be smart, City and Spurs in particular have plenty of players they want to move on, in some cases they would pay part of the wages to get rid.

jrochie wrote: »
    In Kean we have a guy who is recognized as a quality coach, Chelsea's interest in him a few years back is evidence of this.

Chelsea's "reported" interest in Kean only came about because in speaks portuguese and they "reportedly" thought he would be a good translator for Scolari.
    I have yet to see evidence either way of him being either a good or bad coach but based on our performances under his control and his non-existent track record prior to take up the role under Big Sam I would be inclined to believe he is not a ground breaking coach let alone club manager. But I feel it would be fairer to give him till at least Christmas to prove himself, thats if Christmas is not to late for Blackburn. I think a good coach should at least be able to make the current squad hard to beat without any additions other than sound coaching, organisation and hard work on the training field.

Kean is beginning to remind me of Sammy Lee during his brief spell in charge of Bolton, I see similarities in their views of their team performances in post match interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Latest excuse from Kean:
    "I thought we played some nice football, had good possession and we are disappointed for the third because we could have got an offside.

"We are working with people who have not been with us too long and they are all finding their ways with their team mates.

The Rovers starting line-up:

ROVERS: Robinson, Salgado, Nelsen, Hanley, Olsson, Hoilett, Dunn, Nzonzi, Pedersen, Goodwillie, Roberts SUBS: Bunn, Formica, Petrovic, Rochina, Blackman, Ribeiro, Lowe

The only new signing there is Goodwillie. Formica has been at the club since January so isn't a new signing.

There have been three new signings in total and 2 were on the bench.

It's excuse after excuse at this stage. The man is deluded.

I actually agree with Eagle Eye though. This side bears very little difference from the starting 11 that Allardcye had and could get results from. However, Allardyce could manage a team and was tactically astute. Kean isn't.

The longer he is left in charge, the longer we'll be hogging the bottom of the table.

Lemlin just on the goalkeeper thing, Bunn is a really, really good keeper.

I never mentioned anything about a goalkeeper.

• Advertisement

I never mentioned anything about a goalkeeper.
    Sorry man, I read all the posts and then replied got mixed up as to who said that. It was Sundula.

I hope so but he is unproven in the premiership.

There are not many reserve keepers that are proven. And in the few games he has played he played well. He had a great game last season against West Brom when Robbo was out injured.

Like every played we have signed so far.
    Bottom of the table and signing unknown, unproven quantities is not a good mix.

As I've said from the start, we are mirroring Pompey that much it's frightening.

I cant see Venkys being in it for the long term so the Pompey comparison could be back on given the mystery that surrounded their ownership and the motivation of their owners. Also similar in the fact that there seems to be no really level of management above Kean.

As I've said from the start, we are mirroring Pompey that much it's frightening.
    I'm looking forward to the FA Cup win!

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭FYG

Blackburn confirm signing of forward Simon Vukcevic from Sporting Lisbon on three-year deal.

Its looking like tonights game is definately going to be a very positive night for us thank god, 10 mins gone and we are 3-0 up, two from Formica and 1 for Goodwillie. Hope they can continue this fantastic start and knock some really needed confidence in the team, and maybe even us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

http://eplsite.org/channel8.html

Link for Blackburn if anyone here is interested

Its looking like tonights game is definately going to be a very positive night for us thank god, 10 mins gone and we are 3-0 up, two from Formica and 1 for Goodwillie. Hope they can continue this fantastic start and knock some really needed confidence in the team, and maybe even us!

Two from Rochina according to the BBC,

already posted it in the Carling Cup thread, no doubt others will say it is only Sheff Wed, but a convincing win will be a confidence booster either ways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Rochina, not Formica

Two from Rochina according to the BBC,

already posted it in the Carling Cup thread, no doubt others will say it is only Sheff Wed, but a convincing win will be a confidence booster either ways.

It's the Sheff Wed reserves. 8 changes from their team that played at the weekend. Still, be nice to see a win. Might be the only one we see for a while.

sorry meant to say Rochina.

May only be their reserve team but at least its a win for us and a bit of confidence for the players, cant imagine there is a whole lot of that floating around ewood right now.

It's the Sheff Wed reserves. 8 changes from their team that played at the weekend. Still, be nice to see a win. Might be the only one we see for a while.

There are a good few Blackburn reserves too, giving the new players a run about in a competitive environment and getting game time together too which is important.

Roll on the next round and Everton on Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

Gutted to see Emerton leaving, I think he still had another two seasons left in him. Yet another experienced player gone from a threadbare squad, very dark days ahead for us

I'm gutted too, Emerton was a solid pro with plenty to offer. The very type of experience we need under a rookie manager. The move to oz seemed to come out of the blue. Sad to see him leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I will always remember Brett Emerton for one of the worst referee decissions ever.
    While playing for the club i support, Feyenoord, in the 2002 UEFA cup semis 2nd leg, he wants to take a corner.
    Linesman tells him to adjust the position of the ball and while doing what he was told, the referee gave him a yellow card for time wasting.
    That yellow card cost him the final which Feyenoord won.

Thank you Brett for 4 great years at Feyenoord.

This weekend's match against Everton is going to be huge.

As for Emerton, very bad move by the club yet again. I was hoping he'd actually move to right back to replace Salgado.

3 points are needed this weekend. Everton are a decent team who should have beaten QPR last week but we need a win badly at this stage.

Kean is talking now about people seeing the future of the club last night but the fact of the matter is that these lads need to prove they are good enough for first-team PL football, not playing in the Carling Cup against a League 2 team's reserves.

Samba is back this weekend. However, looks like Nelsen is injured. The squad is from:

Provisional squad: Robinson, Bunn, Salgado, Ribeiro, Hanley, Givet, Samba, Olsson, Anderson, Emerton, Hoilett, Rochina, Dunn, Pedersen, Petrovic, Lowe, Nzonzi, Goodwillie, Roberts, Formica, Blackman.

Shows how threadbare the team is. It's a 20 man squad with Bunn, Ribeiro, Hanley, Rochina, Petrovic, Lowe, Goodwillie, Formica and Blackman having 20 PL games at a struggle I'd say between them. Emerton is also about to leave.

I'd be hoping for a starting line up with Givet and Samba in central defence.

I'm hoping Rochina gets a start. He deserves it after 2 goals the other night. Anyone know why there's no sign of Vuckevic (sp?)??

Also, it's a bit worrying that all has gone quiet on the transfer front. I saw a report mentioning us with Papis Cisse from Freiburg two days ago. He would be a good signing but there's also mention of him being 13 million so not sure we'd stump up that.

• Advertisement

Samba is back this weekend. However, looks like Nelsen is injured. The squad is from:

Provisional squad: Robinson, Bunn, Salgado, Ribeiro, Hanley, Givet, Samba, Olsson, Anderson, Emerton, Hoilett, Rochina, Dunn, Pedersen, Petrovic, Lowe, Nzonzi, Goodwillie, Roberts, Formica, Blackman.

Shows how threadbare the team is. It's a 20 man squad with Bunn, Ribeiro, Hanley, Rochina, Petrovic, Lowe, Goodwillie, Formica and Blackman having 20 PL games at a struggle I'd say between them. Emerton is also about to leave.

I'd be hoping for a starting line up with Givet and Samba in central defence.

I'm hoping Rochina gets a start. He deserves it after 2 goals the other night. Anyone know why there's no sign of Vuckevic (sp?)??

Also, it's a bit worrying that all has gone quiet on the transfer front. I saw a report mentioning us with Papis Cisse from Freiburg two days ago. He would be a good signing but there's also mention of him being 13 million so not sure we'd stump up that.

I'm sure Vucevic won't be involved because he needs more training with the team first. He only signed this week, and with the match etc he won't have had much time with the squad.

The importance of having Samba back will be huge, I don't mind hanley being in the centre with either Samba or Nelsen, leaving Givet to play left back.

Am looking forward to the match, but I think it will be Roberts and Goodwillie up front - Goodwillies finish against Sheff Wed was very nice!

We'll see what tomorrow brings anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I reckon ye might get yer first win of the season tomorrow. Only early in the season but its a big game for Steve Kean.

Dunn and Pedersen off injured on 35 mins,

Formica and Petrovic come one for them,

Still 0-0

Missed penalty from Hoilett, Saved by Howard really, but it was very poor from Hoilett!

Another missed penalty, this time Formica hits the post, in fairness to Everton both penalties were "won" by Formica,

Same old Blackburn, cannot score for their life!

cant believe we lost this one.

How did we actually play?

• Advertisement

How did we actually play?

I thought we played quite well, all that was lacking sadly was a goal or two - and there were ample opportunities to get one of those, even without the penalties that were missed.

It was a shame that Dunn and Pedersen had to go off injured, even though the introduction of Formica proved decisive, Petrovic on the other hand looked average and didn't really even get into the game.

Dunn was the best player on the pitch when he was on, he gave everything and was involved all the time, unlucky to see a great effort come back off the post and sail away to safety.

If Formica had an extra yard or two of pace he would be an excellent player, it was this lack of pace that leads him to look for the fouls when he was inside the box on those two occasions. Although they were soft penalties in my opinion, there was contact for both, and none on the ball.

At the back, the return of Samba was, as expected, immense. He manages to hold everything together back there, and was his usual colossus self - punished unfairly in my opinion for the Everton penalty.

Givet had a great game too, but Salgado again is a weak link back there. Olsson was great at the back and going forward.

If we had another central defender fit, I wouldn't mind us playing with wing backs, with Olsson and Salgado if it has to be, with Samba, Nelsen and Givet in the centre, even Hanley when one of those 3 is not fit.

I think Goodwillie has to start the next game, either with Roberts, or on his own. He has pace and has great movement and link up play - him up front on his own with Hoilett and Formica playing wide would work for me.

I wouldnt mind seeing the following in our next game

form.png

Looks bad at the moment anyways, bottom of the pile with 3 games gone, a long time since Blackburn have lost their first 3 league games of a campaign.

I can, there are not many teams in the premiership i think we can beat.

Salgado is the worst player we have fielded so far this season. I was encouraged by the performance of the team in general today. I would be worried the effect a loss like this could have on the team. To miss two penalties and then lose to another at the death. It is hard to see where we will pick up points when you look at the fixture list.
    We cant lose any more players in this window and Kean still needs to bring in a couple to give the place a lift.

People keeping harping on about Salgado's performances. I think its a case of terrible tactics when not in possession being the problem. We all know that Michel can be beaten easily by a pacy player but it wasn't a problem in most games last season because others pressured the potential attacker which slowed him down and gave Salgado the chance to do his thing, thats not happening this season and Michel is always going to look bad when he has to push up a bit and gets owned by a faster player.

People keeping harping on about Salgado's performances. I think its a case of terrible tactics when not in possession being the problem. We all know that Michel can be beaten easily by a pacy player but it wasn't a problem in most games last season because others pressured the potential attacker which slowed him down and gave Salgado the chance to do his thing, thats not happening this season and Michel is always going to look bad when he has to push up a bit and gets owned by a faster player.

Kean is clueless. That's the problem. It was unfortunate that Dunn and Pedersen, who would have taken the penalties had they been on the field, had both gone off.

That said, teams make their own luck and Blackburn are going to get none under the present management. A win is needed soon and we need to get at least a point against Fulham next week. Craven Cottage isn't the easiest of places to go though.

The transfer front has gone quiet as well. The transfer window shuts at midnight on Wednesday does it? That leaves just two more days to get deals done and there's no mention of any business on the Lancashire Telegraph site today.

• Advertisement

George John deal is off and Venkys have reportedly pulled the plug on Ibisevic deal aswel. Kean is heading to India for talks after the transfer deadline so I can see absolutely no transfers going through before the deadline, what a state this club has turned into.

Best thing Venky's could do is get rid of Kean and then get rid of themselves.

Sky Sports are saying we have agreed a fee with Birmingham for Scott Dann, really hope this goes through as long as it doesnt mean Samba is leaving.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11095_7137981,00.html

Sky Sports are saying we have agreed a fee with Birmingham for Scott Dann, really hope this goes through as long as it doesnt mean Samba is leaving.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11095_7137981,00.html

Dann would be a fantastic signing but its being reported in the Daily Mail and Sky Sports so I'm taking it with a pinch of salt until I see it somewhere more concrete.

In the meantime, our manager proves he is an idiot again:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburn_rovers/news/9222286.Kean_untroubled_by_Blackburn_Rovers__start_to_the_season/

Yes, that's it Steve, nothing to worry about at all. 3 games in. 6 goals conceded and just 2 scored. Kalinic and Jones, two of the team's best prospects, have left and haven't been replaced. Emerton has now left.

We're looking at PL squads where 50% of the team have barely played a PL match. The signings have been Vuckevic, Goodwillie and Petrovic, barely 10 million of the 20 million that we got for Jones and the 6 million for Kalinic spent. In fact, I'd say we've spent closer to the 6 million and not even touched the Jones cash.

On top of that, established players like Diouf and Emerton have been allowed to leave or drift away from the team. Meanwhile, we continue to persist with Jason Roberts a front, a player who is Championship level at best. When Sam tried to get rid of him, Leeds were about the only team who showed a bit of interest.

Dann would be a fantastic signing but its being reported in the Daily Mail and Sky Sports so I'm taking it with a pinch of salt until I see it somewhere more concrete.

In the meantime, our manager proves he is an idiot again:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburn_rovers/news/9222286.Kean_untroubled_by_Blackburn_Rovers__start_to_the_season/

Yes, that's it Steve, nothing to worry about at all. 3 games in. 6 goals conceded and just 2 scored. Kalinic and Jones, two of the team's best prospects, have left and haven't been replaced. Emerton has now left.

We're looking at PL squads where 50% of the team have barely played a PL match. The signings have been Vuckevic, Goodwillie and Petrovic, barely 10 million of the 20 million that we got for Jones and the 6 million for Kalinic spent. In fact, I'd say we've spent closer to the 6 million and not even touched the Jones cash.

On top of that, established players like Diouf and Emerton have been allowed to leave or drift away from the team. Meanwhile, we continue to persist with Jason Roberts a front, a player who is Championship level at best. When Sam tried to get rid of him, Leeds were about the only team who showed a bit of interest.

Roberts can still do a job, but not on his own up there, it is futile when that happens. He is still handy to have as a target man and is still very good at bringing others into play.

As I said above though, I'd much rather Goodwillie starts up front against Fulham, he is well able for it from what I have seen so far.

As for the money, they have never came out and said they would be spending all they get in have they? I think it is very naive to think it is all available for Kean, when what we have heard is that there has been a renegotiation of terms with the bank. Venkys have not come in, wiped the slate, and started fresh.

Emerton has had his best days, and nobody should begrudge him the chance to go back home to Sydney. The less said about Diouf the better. Kalinic should never have been let get to the stage where he wanted to go, he was easily the best striker at the club, but for some reason Kean and Allardyce never gave him a decent run at it.

Dann would be a fantastic signing, but I won't get carried away with the story until we see or hear something official.

I'll be dissapointed if we don't get another striker and a defender at least in by close of business Wednesday.

Roberts can still do a job, but not on his own up there, it is futile when that happens. He is still handy to have as a target man and is still very good at bringing others into play.

As I said above though, I'd much rather Goodwillie starts up front against Fulham, he is well able for it from what I have seen so far.

As for the money, they have never came out and said they would be spending all they get in have they? I think it is very naive to think it is all available for Kean, when what we have heard is that there has been a renegotiation of terms with the bank. Venkys have not come in, wiped the slate, and started fresh.

Emerton has had his best days, and nobody should begrudge him the chance to go back home to Sydney. The less said about Diouf the better. Kalinic should never have been let get to the stage where he wanted to go, he was easily the best striker at the club, but for some reason Kean and Allardyce never gave him a decent run at it.

Dann would be a fantastic signing, but I won't get carried away with the story until we see or hear something official.

I'll be dissapointed if we don't get another striker and a defender at least in by close of business Wednesday.

Emerton has plenty in him, alot more to offer than Roberts and Diouf. Diouf is a poisonous player who is very hot and cold and I cant imagine him contributing to a team atmosphere or being supportive of younger players or Kean for that matter. Emerton is a lose, Roberts wouldnt be. I think Roberts should always start on the bench unless every other forward player at the club is out injured.

I'd disagree on Roberts. He's a poor player who isn't PL quality. He's good to lump the ball up to, hope it hits off him and lands at the feet of someone who has a bit of skill. A poor man's Emile Heskey to be honest.

I'm not asking for it all to be available for Kean. What I am saying is that 26 million has come in through two transfers. Mame Briam Diouf, Jermaine Jones and Roque Santa Cruz have been allowed back to their clubs so are also off the wage bill. Emerton is off the wage bill. Three players have been brought in. Goodwillie, Petrovic and Vuckevic. I'd be shocked if any of those are on a high wage and I'd also doubt that the sum of all their transfer fees cost much more than the 6 million that we received for Kalinic. Therefore there should be some cash there for the manager to spend IMO.

Emerton may have had his best days behind him but I'd still prefer to see him at right back rather than Salgado, who's best days are a few years behind him. Diouf may be controversial but he has PL experience and I'd prefer to see him up front than Jason Roberts. He has more ability in his little toenail than Roberts.

I'd be very surprised if we get a defender and striker in to be honest. My gut is telling me that our transfer activity is over.

Ibisevic deal is off according to Hoffenheim. Unless Kean can pull something out of the bag today it looks like we may be stuck with Roberts up front.

Just on sky sports news the tranfer of scott dann is subject to Samba not being allowed to leave the club. Could be a nice centre half combination.

less than 12hours to go and its all gone very very quiet. Dann wont be enough on his own.

less than 12hours to go and its all gone very very quiet. Dann wont be enough on his own.

I'd agree tbh. It'll be good to have some cover but I'm happy enough with a central back two of Samba and Givet with Nelsen providing cover.

Can Dann play right back? A right back is badly needed to replace Salgado, unless Kean is planning that Ribeiro will move in there.

Midfielders/strikers have to be our priority at present. I can't understand why we aren't in for Wright Phillips. Yet another playing living in Manchester who wouldn't even have to move house to come to us.

• Advertisement
Advertisement