Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,561 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

English born player wants to play for England shocker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I know people will say, well you just need to stop reading about him, but if like the movie "eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind" I could have a memory wiped from mine and everyone elses, it would be roy Keane and everything to do with Roy Keane. At this stage the fact he is a constant topic, is as monotonous as brexit.

Just go a fcuking way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Trigger wrote: »
    English born player wants to play for England shocker

Yes, he wanted to play for England for personal and professional reasons and when they came calling he did just that. Some on here hate Keane and MON so much they try to blame them for everything, but this one isn’t on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

I know people will say, well you just need to stop reading about him, but if like the movie "eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind" I could have a memory wiped from mine and everyone elses, it would be roy Keane and everything to do with Roy Keane. At this stage the fact he is a constant topic, is as monotonous as brexit.

Just go a fcuking way.

I am going to wipe this post from my mind, hey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Not too dissimilar to Jose Mourinho....you just know it will end in tears.

Jose is a proven winner at management level, Keane on the other hand turns places to sh/t.

His 'jokes' about having to watch the championship and players should check their medals shows he's out of touch with football that's not at the highest level. His only options are to try a league one or league 2 team and prove himself.

Keane as a player = Legend
    Keane after football = Total spoofer

TheCitizen wrote: »
    (Shakes head) Not this again.

We know you don’t like MON and Keane to put it mildly but for the last time; Grealish and Rice fecked off because England came calling and they and their clubs and their agents saw the dollar signs that comes with being an English international in the English Premier League.

1. You absolutely LOVE them because they were involved with Celtic. Don't imagine for an instant that you are some unbiased observer.

2. The whole money and agent thing is something you clung to as the wreckage of O'Neill and Keane's rein became obvious to everyone.

Either way, I'm guessing Stephen Kenny has more insight than you. Even if it upsets you that his knowledge clearly contradicts your efforts to absolve them of blame.

Rice was there when Keane started laying into Arters for being an English c*** who had no place in the Ireland setup, and then you wonder why a young English-born boy is starting to feel he's not wanted there and looking elsewhere? Seriously?

Keane also had an issue with Mick McCarthy being born in England. One need only recall the famous "somehow you're manager of my country, you're not even Irish, you English c***" tirade.

I would imagine there is no one reason, the likelihood is that is was a combination of factors prompting Rice and Grealish, but there is obviously a gulf between how Southgate and Keane treat people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

1. You absolutely LOVE them because they were involved with Celtic. Don't imagine for an instant that you are some unbiased observer.

2. The whole money and agent thing is something you clung to as the wreckage of O'Neill and Keane's rein became obvious to everyone.

Either way, I'm guessing Stephen Kenny has more insight than you. Even if it upsets you that his knowledge clearly contradicts your efforts to absolve them of blame.

Bull****, if you think any Celtic fans has a gra for Keane simply because he played a handful of games for the club at the end of his career, you are very much mistaken. And while MON is a Celtic legend i have little time for him and his reign as Ireland manager.

Bull****, if you think any Celtic fans has a gra for Keane simply because he played a handful of games for the club at the end of his career, you are very much mistaken.

Just read his defences of Keane and O'Neill at the end of their regime as the whole thing fell apart, Keane abusing English born players, attendances tumbling, the whole thing with players making it known that they had no idea about tactics or what was expected, awful results etc.

Either way, I don't really care what motivates him. But his dismissal of opinions on the basis of the motivation of others is laughable, given that he was so obviously their biggest fan here.

• Advertisement

Stephen Kenny didn't say that Grealish and Rice left because of MON and Keane, that's just you reading what you want into what he said.

MON and Keane's reign came to an end. They had some success and then they ran out of road and their time was up.

Let it go Conor, Let it go.

Just read his defences of Keane and O'Neill at the end of their regime as the whole thing fell apart, Keane abusing English born players, attendances tumbling, the whole thing with players making it known that they had no idea about tactics or what was expected, awful results etc.

Either way, I don't really care what motivates him. But his dismissal of opinions on the basis of the motivation of others is laughable, given that he was so obviously their biggest fan here.

I didn't complain when they were sacked Conor. It's a results game and the results went very wrong in the end after some initial great successes. They're gone, why are you still so angry at them?

Let it go Conor, Let it go.
    They're gone, why are you still so angry at them?

We're on a thread about Keane where a number of people are (a little) angry about his comments. In that context, a poster noted that they believe he and O'Neill caused Rice and Grealish to defect to England. This is what Stephen Kenny has said too.

The person who is angry about this being advanced, presumably because it contradicts their own theory, is not me...it's you.
    (Shakes head) Not this again.

Either way, we can agree to differ. What is laughable is you questioning the motivation of others. What do you think motivated Kenny?

We're on a thread about Keane where a number of people are (a little) angry about his comments. In that context, a poster noted that they believe he and O'Neill caused Rice and Grealish to defect to England. This is what Stephen Kenny has said too.

The person who is angry about this being advanced, presumably because it contradicts their own theory, is not me...it's you.

Well they're wrong about that.

Either way, we can agree to differ. What is laughable is you questioning the motivation of others. What do you think motivated Kenny?

For the last time Stephen Kenny did not say that Grealish and Rice went to play with England because of MON or Keane. That is not what he said. You appear to have a difficulty discerning the difference between what he actually said as against what you want to hear.

For the last time Stephen Kenny did not say that Grealish and Rice went to play with England because of MON or Keane. That is not what he said. You appear to have a difficulty discerning the difference between what he actually said as against what you want to hear.

He said that they would "definitely be playing for Ireland" if there was a better relationship between the senior management and the underage teams during O'Neill's time.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/jack-grealish-and-declan-rice-would-definitely-be-playing-for-ireland-stephen-kenny-says-talking-is-key-38305106.html

What are you hearing in that? Because I'm hearing that Grealish and Rice would definitely be playing for Ireland if it wasn't for the senior management.

It really doesn't leave much room for ambiguity, so I'm interested in your interpretation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,507 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He said that they would "definitely be playing for Ireland" if there was a better relationship between the senior management and the underage teams during O'Neill's time.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/jack-grealish-and-declan-rice-would-definitely-be-playing-for-ireland-stephen-kenny-says-talking-is-key-38305106.html

What are you hearing in that? Because I'm hearing that Grealish and Rice would definitely be playing for Ireland if it wasn't for the senior management.

It really doesn't leave much room for ambiguity, so I'm interested in your interpretation...

No great love for either but I really find it absurd to think Grealish or Rice in particular would have been swayed by one man (or two).

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    No great love for either but I really find it absurd to think Grealish or Rice in particular would have been swayed by one man (or two).

I certainly wouldn't say it's the only factor.

I disagree with TheCitizen's absolute refusal to countenance that they may have had any role. To the point of claiming that Stephen Kenny didn't say what Stephen Kenny pretty clearly said. It's a "fake news...fake news...what I've made up is true" approach...:)

:pac: You've got it bad Conor.

Stephen can say what he likes and yes it's right for him to promote himself and say that with him as manager he intends that there will be better communication between the senior team and underage set up seeing as he's Under 21 manager right now. It wouldn't have stopped Rice or Grealish leaving for England though if he was senior manager at the time. They left cos England came looking for them.

The only thing that would have stopped Rice from defecting is if he had been capped a year earlier in the competitive game v Moldova perhaps, but he was only 17 then IIRC and when it was suggested on here by me and others that we should go out of our way to cap young promising players by throwing them in for a cap in competitive games v lower ranked sides we got pelters for such a suggestion. Actually O'Neill did just that with Obafemi after the Rice debacle and now Stephen Kenny appears to be saying that he will fasttrack young dual nationality players when he is manager. You're ok with Stephen Kenny saying that of course.

There are lots of things you can criticise MON and Keane for (and Lord knows you do) there are also things that they can be praised for in their time with Ireland (which you will never do), but your attempt to use the Rice and Grealish defections as a stick to beat MON and Keane with is pathetic.

I certainly wouldn't say it's the only factor.

I disagree with TheCitizen's absolute refusal to countenance that they may have had any role. To the point of claiming that Stephen Kenny didn't say what Stephen Kenny pretty clearly said. It's a "fake news...fake news...what I've made up is true" approach...:)

Straight question Conor; Do you actually think Rice wouldn't have defected to the England set up if Stephen Kenny or Mick or anyone else other than MON and Keane was senior manager at the time?

Straight question Conor; Do you actually think Rice wouldn't have defected to the England set up if Stephen Kenny or Mick or anyone else other than MON and Keane was senior manager at the time?

I doubt a player who had repeatedly spoken of his wish to play for Ireland, and who had played for Ireland, would have made such a dramatic U-turn unless things behind the scenes were handled very badly.

I note at least you have gone from completely denying Kenny said what he said, to accepting it was said but saying he had ulterior motives for it...
    For the last time Stephen Kenny did not say that Grealish and Rice went to play with England because of MON or Keane.
    Stephen can say what he likes and yes it's right for him to promote himself...

I doubt a player who had repeatedly spoken of his wish to play for Ireland, and who had played for Ireland, would have made such a dramatic U-turn unless things behind the scenes were handled very badly.
    Is that a yes or a no Conor?
    I note at least you have gone from completely denying Kenny said what he said, to accepting it was said but saying he had ulterior motives for it...

Here we go again......To be clear he did not say MON and Keane were to blame for Rice and Grealish defecting, he was talking about himself and his aspiration that there would be better communications between the underage and senior set up when he is Ireland manager.

He can say that that might have made a difference re Rice if he likes; but the truth is it wouldn't have. It wouldn't have made any difference at all unless he threw him in v Moldova in that competitive game 12 months before he made his international debut under MON, but that's hindsight talking. There was no one clamouring for Rice to play v Moldova at the age of 17. In the future Ireland managers will be more aware of the possibility of young players defecting as O'Neill was when he threw in Obafemi in a Nations League match.

Stephen Kenny is talking about the future Conor, maybe you should think about that as well instead of bitching and moaning about the managerial team that have left already.

• Advertisement

Here we go again......To be clear he did not say MON and Keane were to blame for Rice and Grealish defecting, he was talking about himself and his aspiration that there would be better communications between the underage and senior set up when he is Ireland manager.

I think we'll have to agree to differ.

I'm happy to accept that when someone says they would definitely be playing for Ireland if it wasn't for management...well that means exactly what it means.

And you can continue to say it wasn't said at all, or it was but it doesn't mean what it clearly means and it involves some obscure message about self promotion and aspirations and the future and communications...:D

I think we'll have to agree to differ.

I'm happy to accept that when someone says they would definitely be playing for Ireland if it wasn't for management...well that means exactly what it means.

And you can continue to say it wasn't said at all, or it was but it doesn't mean what it clearly means and it involves some obscure message about self promotion and aspirations and the future and communications...:D

Rice is English when England came looking for him he went to the England set up, the only thing that would have stopped him was if he had appeared for Ireland in a competitive fixture. It has nothing to do with MON or Keane or Mick or Stephen Kenny or anyone else.

You can agree to differ all you like, but if you actually believe (and are not just having me on here) that Rice wouldn't have left for England if Stephen Kenny or Mick or someone other than MON/Keane was Ireland manager at the time then you're away with the fairies and utterly deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I see he is after joining sky now, will be on super Sunday tomorrow,
    'Roy Keane joins Sky Sports'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11813788

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

think that is where Keane's future will be for quite a while.

I see no Premier League or Championship club taking him on.

He'll be the Eamon Dunphy of Sky.

I see he is after joining sky now, will be on super Sunday tomorrow,
    'Roy Keane joins Sky Sports'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11813788

This used to be his opinion...

"A couple of weeks before that I was asked to do the United game against Celtic at Old Trafford. I think I've done it once for Sky. Never again. I'd rather go to the dentist."
    One thing that marked his whole career, from reneging on Blackburn to raising the whole threat about playing for Celtic every time his contract was up to dressing up as leprechaun to releasing autobiographies on the eve of Irish matches to asking Niall Quinn for a job...he was always driven by money. He spoke a load of old nonsense about principles and slamming pundits and red tops, but he became a pundit and afair either had a column in or serialised one of his books in some rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

What's different now? He's already on sky sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,541 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I do not think he has the temperament for management

An epic legendary player, great captain

Advertisement