Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID Gap Year

Options
  • 26-05-2020 4:57pm

I think we're all annoyed about how 2020 played out. I had a few simple objectives like graduating school, getting my driving license and working my ass off during the summer for college. Now I feel denied and just don't think I can progress to the next chapter of life. I was already in a tricky spot financially as my parents earn above any SUSI threshold but have made it clear that I can expect little to no support as they have plans of their own. So I either go to college and get a mediocre experience in the form of online lessons( for the foreseeable future) or wait until the storm passes while working to save up. I'm tempted about the latter. I'll be able to get my driving license(assuming the backlog clears), learn life skills like cooking and realize how **** life would be without any further education. I highly doubt the academic year of 2020/21 will be pleasant assuming the virus sticks around. Obviously these are my personal circumstances, but I'd appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

Gabrielius wrote: »
    I think we're all annoyed about how 2020 played out. I had a few simple objectives like graduating school, getting my driving license and working my ass off during the summer for college. Now I feel denied and just don't think I can progress to the next chapter of life. I was already in a tricky spot financially as my parents earn above any SUSI threshold but have made it clear that I can expect little to no support as they have plans of their own. So I either go to college and get a mediocre experience in the form of online lessons( for the foreseeable future) or wait until the storm passes while working to save up. I'm tempted about the latter. I'll be able to get my driving license(assuming the backlog clears), learn life skills like cooking and realize how **** life would be without any further education. I highly doubt the academic year of 2020/21 will be pleasant assuming the virus sticks around. Obviously these are my personal circumstances, but I'd appreciate any advice.

Even in a good economy, gap years and saving money is never a bad idea. You are young and have loads of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Maybe take more than 1 gap year. If you can wait you till you are 23 then you could attend college as a mature student. Work and travel for a few years. Return to Ireland at 22 and then sign on for over 9 months and you will get all the state supports going.
    The downside is not starting a career until your late 20s

I don't think my parents would support such a move. Even one year will be a hard sell when they think it's a doss year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't forget the EU backed volunteer programme, that gives accommodation and food, plus a small allowance.
    https://www.vsi.ie/volunteer/european-voluntary-servic.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I don't think my parents would support such a move. Even one year will be a hard sell when they think it's a doss year.

And that's fair enough, you can understand why some parents think this way.

But if your finances are as you describe, they have to understand that there are real issues to be resolved.

If they are adamant that you start this year, they may have to put their own plans on hold and give you at least some support.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 13,768 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Your parents can't have it both ways. They can't tell you they are not in a position to financially support you in college, but then give out about you working and earning your own money to support yourself through college.

You are at the tricky life stage now where you're not exactly a dependent child, but you're not a completely independent adult either. You know you are heading towards one, but your parents see you as the other and still feel entitled to tell you what to do.

At the end of the day it will come down to you and your choice. You can speak with your parents, see where you all stand. They might not think how you think they think! And work out from their the next step. It can be difficult for parents to accept their children are becoming adults, but it is your actions and how you conduct yourself that will speed up the transition for them.

You seem pretty sensible. Good luck.

spurious wrote: »
    Don't forget the EU backed volunteer programme, that gives accommodation and food, plus a small allowance.
    https://www.vsi.ie/volunteer/european-voluntary-servic.html
    I've registered for the European Solidarity Corps but I'm skeptical about many of the programs going ahead while there isn't a whiff of a vaccine. I've also registered for Volunteers Ireland to do some volunteering in my community. Not much else I can do at the moment.

And that's fair enough, you can understand why some parents think this way.

But if your finances are as you describe, they have to understand that there are real issues to be resolved.

If they are adamant that you start this year, they may have to put their own plans on hold and give you at least some support.

I'll put together a comparison of the pros and cons of going to college this year. If I have enough concrete facts maybe they'll see what I'm on about. I'm just dismayed that the only valid argument is "you won't go studying after experiencing money" This might have been true before the crisis for some individuals, but just seeing people fight over a retail job is enough to send alarm bells off.

Your parents can't have it both ways. They can't tell you they are not in a position to financially support you in college, but then give out about you working and earning your own money to support yourself through college.

You are at the tricky life stage now where you're not exactly a dependent child, but you're not a completely independent adult either. You know you are heading towards one, but your parents see you as the other and still feel entitled to tell you what to do.

At the end of the day it will come down to you and your choice. You can speak with your parents, see where you all stand. They might not think how you think they think! And work out from their the next step. It can be difficult for parents to accept their children are becoming adults, but it is your actions and how you conduct yourself that will speed up the transition for them.

You seem pretty sensible. Good luck.

What you describe is an age old conundrum for sure. I think the biggest problem is that they've never went to college, so they wouldn't know the hardships involved. I'll continue doing my research as nothing is certain yet. Once I've made a decision I'll try to show them that this is months and months of mental gymnastics and not some moody teenager doing a 180.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Fuzzo

The only advice I can offer, if you take the year or more away from education, make sure you use that time. Earn money, try new things, make new friends, travel when possible. Your parents will change they’re tune when they see you getting out in the world going after what you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The big unknown with college this coming year is that nobody knows if it online classes, on campus, a mix of both or something completely different... depending on the course your looking to do also plays a role in weather any of the above scenarios will hinder you...

When I was on college, a lot of folks just couldn't get accounting...it was like school with the lecturer having to go through it individually with most of the class...the course had a low points threshold

Fuzzo wrote: »
    The only advice I can offer, if you take the year or more away from education, make sure you use that time. Earn money, try new things, make new friends, travel when possible. Your parents will change they’re tune when they see you getting out in the world going after what you want

Travel is out of question for the foreseeable future, but I've applied for overseas volunteering just in case things change. I'm not really in the mood of actually spending money during the gap year since the whole purpose was to be in a better financial position. But the ECS volunteering covers almost all fees so I wouldn't be worse off.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    The big unknown with college this coming year is that nobody knows if it online classes, on campus, a mix of both or something completely different... depending on the course your looking to do also plays a role in weather any of the above scenarios will hinder you...

When I was on college, a lot of folks just couldn't get accounting...it was like school with the lecturer having to go through it individually with most of the class...the course had a low points threshold

My engineering course does have a significant labs element to it so in the worst case scenario I would imagine the labs being on campus with everything else being online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bay9

I think this year in college is going to be a very mixed bag. Mostly online lectures. where's the fun in that. ou wont even know anyone. If you're paying full whack for it you will want the full college experience, classes, tutorials, meeting college classmates, college societies, parties etc. Also if you are paying for accommodation near the university it will be expensive unless you are attending college all the time even then it will be expensive. I think we are in for tough winter between the 'flu and Covid resurgence, so I expect that college time might be further curtailed. Its a short enough semester anyhow. Basically October-Dec. break, then Jan to April/May if we are lucky. If you can defer your place for a year it might be good time to work/ gain some other useful experiences/ learn some new stuff.
    also I think its pretty rough of your parents to suggest not supporting you because they have their own plans Most student get some parental support through their college years, even if it is expected that they put their shoulder to the wheel in some form themselves. College and living as a student in Ireland is very expensive, especially in Dublin.
    How about working for a few months in Ireland then heading to the Continent. Mainland Europe is much more 'normalised' than Ireland in how they are dealing with Covid. Life is almost 'business as usual but with some necessary hygiene precautions. How about a stint working as a seasonnaire in a ski resort. Its hard work but good fun and you can learn to ski in your time off. Or going to a large European city, working in a bar/restaurant/other and taking a few classes. Most European universities have much less restrictive criteria for entrance than Ireland does as they view education as a right for everyone. Its heavily supported. Usually they have entrance opportuniites both in the Autumn and the spring and are flexible. You dont have to sign up for a 3/4 year degreee. Many of them have prep/intro courses, to get to know the university. Or learn a language there. Most of these are a few months long. The course info is often available in English on their sites and registration is a few hundred Euro. Student accommodation would be cheaper than here, esp in smaller cities. Then there are community colleges everywhere with loads of courses too. also inexpensive. My experience is in the Germanic countries but most of northern Europe is similar. Or London. Don't believe the anti Brexit hype, it's still a huge buzzing place.
    The world is your oyster. Get out of Ireland, explore, see a few other countries, earn a bit of money. Then decide if you want to come back and settle into college life here when it has normalised again, hopefully by next Autumn.
    Btw, if you do decide to apply for university here and the parents are still not obliging on the money front, make sure you apply for every grant going on your own steam, ie the application does not include their income. All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bay9

Also, I forgot a few things. As well as university and college Level 7/8 degrees, there is a parallel track where you can attend further education in Ireland for a year in a FET Further Education training facility. There are usually held in local colleges. Often they provide credits which can be used toward university courses. They are not expensive, they are often not full time so you might be able to fit in a part time job, and the often have really good career advisors attached to the colleges. Most people who go there say it was a very useful experience. It gives you time to re-asses your college/career choices, avoid expensive university fees in this Covid year when half the uni courses will be online, (even if the fees aid for by the Irish taxpayer via the HEA, you only get each year paid once, and you have to pay the Capitation fee yourself approx Euro 3,300) and you might find other courses which suit you or interest you better.
    Directly after CAO there will be heaps of them mentioned, as Available Places. They are really worth looking at. If you don't see one you like on there, have a look at individual the course brochures of further education college online and approach them directly. Most of them would be delighted with an approach. Remember, persistence and individual application pays.

The new Minister for Further and Higher Education, Simon Harris was only today at a new launch of the FET opportunities. They are expanding the area and opportunities hugely. Check them out. Search for Simon Harris Further Education Strategy, and also Solas. (I cant post a link for some reason).

Also worth mentioning, Uni/College is not the only option here by a long shot. In fact, there is a view that many courses in college (approx 30% are pretty useless). There are also many apprenticeship places which offer excellent bankable skills while training you and paying you. See careers.ie and qualifax.ie. These are often with high end corporate companies, the Aer Force, ESB, Board Gais, pharma multinationals. etc. not just in the hospitality and construction sector. A lot of these applications come up again in the Spring.

I would also advise you subscribe to the Irish Times online for a month in September. Their career and CAO/further education advice directly after the Leavinf Cert results on 7th September and on to the CAO results, and for the rest of the month is invaluable. They answer anyone's questions (look out for their Education experts Brian Mooney and Carl O' Brien). Huge details there.

If you want something, go for it. If you don't get to it first time, try another way. Persistence and determination will get you a very long way. And dont worry about what anyone else thinks. You will get there.
    Best of luck.

Advertisement