Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying LC subject outside of school

Options
  • 25-05-2020 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

My daughter was going to attempt the Spanish Oridinary level LC exam, but was learning it on her own as she couldn't do it in school due to clash with other subjects.

How will she be graded on this if she submits it in her list of exams? Will she need to do any sort of assessment to guage her skills?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

My son is in the same boat. He is repeating the leaving cert and Spanish is not a subject in his school. His mother is a native Spanish speaker and he is fluent in Spanish. He got a H1 in Spanish last year and expected the same result this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Barney224

DonJose wrote: »
    My son is in the same boat. He is repeating the leaving cert and Spanish is not a subject in his school. His mother is a native Spanish speaker and he is fluent in Spanish. He got a H1 in Spanish last year and expected the same result this year.

Well, if he already got a H1 and is fluent, then it's a no brainer he should be awarded a H1 again. My daughter is only looking for a D or a possible C in Ordinary, but has no previous records of results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Molly8316

I’m the exact same and emailed my principle explaining my situation and she said according to the guidelines all I can do is sit the written exam when it is possible. This means missing out on a year of college

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Good news. My son repeated the LC and was awarded a H1 in Spanish today. The same grade he achieved last year even though Spanish wasn’t a subject in his school and he didn’t have grinds this school year.

Advertisement