Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would you move to if you had the choice in your 20s?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Would be interesting to note the places least affected by Covid to move to, of course this is changing all the time.

For me Dublin is terrible post march 2020. Eery feeling about and with no pubs or gigs etc it’s a bit of a ghost town

Well if that is the criteria, I'd say you were out of luck, unless you want to chance the UK...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Well if that is the criteria, I'd say you were out of luck, unless you want to chance the UK...

Wouldn’t frequent them all that often but just think it’s been shown up for what it really is when it’s pubs are gone. Hasn’t a whole pile else going for it bar the lively atmosphere when that buzz is around.

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Wouldn’t frequent them all that often but just think it’s been shown up for what it really is when it’s pubs are gone. Hasn’t a whole pile else going for it bar the lively atmosphere when that buzz is around.

Well here in Switzerland, apart from no real August 1st celebrations (National Holiday) and very few going on holidays abroad I'd it's not really too bad.

There is nothing stopping people going hiking, swimming, cycling, camping etc... and most families can of hang with the same few families in any case, so it's a kind of a social bubble in any case.

My kids are early 20s now, but even for them social life consists mainly of hanging out with the same five or six people and before the lockdown say a house part once or twice a month.

So not really a dramatic change, but it probably is not the live of everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

I have been living abroad most of my adult life, spent time in California, Australia and West Africa.

Been living in NZ almost four years now, I just got my residency and I think this will be my forever home.
    The country is amazing and I love Auckland as a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

It will probably be at least this time next year before could even consider moving somewhere.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately so! Unless a short move across to Europe. No idea about Asia’s policies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

Having lived in Australia for two years when i was younger and recently visited New Zealand for a month i would definately say new zealand. A simply stunning country

Was originally going to change car but had decided against it if I was going to move abroad around next summer, didn’t see the point.

If it was another 2 years until I could move I probably would change it now. Difficult to make plans and see when could get away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

Anywhere on the west coast of Ireland. Best standard of living after all the continents I’ve lived in.

Solli wrote: »
    Anywhere on the west coast of Ireland. Best standard of living after all the continents I’ve lived in.

Having grown up there that would be a definite no.

• Advertisement

Funny that quite a lot of the 18-30 population from the Wesht head away and some never return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Beautiful scenery and lovely people, but the number of days of rainfall per year would really grind you down.

Where I'm currently living.

Weather and lifestyle just doesn't do it for me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

dave 27 wrote: »
    Having lived in Australia for two years when i was younger and recently visited New Zealand for a month i would definately say new zealand. A simply stunning country

I've never been to New Zealand, but I lived in Australia for a while and it's an absolutely fantastic place. So vast and varied with 8 main cities I think everyone can find something they like. I've heard nothing but good things about New Zealand also.

The only problem with both of them is that they are just so so dam far away! Coming home is a whopper trip done pretty rarely by most. If it was only 5 hours or so we'd probably all leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

NZ/ Transylvania probably the latter, spent lot of time there, planned to live full time during the early 90s but life and divorce changed that

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

If I had money, Portugal or Italy. Hard to think of a country with better life than those two.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nutjobb

Switzerland for me. Have been there 3 times now, twice woth work and once on a road trip.

The scenery is out of this world, winter time you have the ski slopes, summer time you have beautiful mountain trails and activities, mountain biking, zip lining, tobogganing etc. Location is good you have access to most of Europe by car.

It is expensive there but maybe someone can confirm there is lenient tax requirements in certain areas, Zug for example?

Das Reich wrote: »
    If I had money, Portugal or Italy. Hard to think of a country with better life than those two.

Portugal is a lovely country and seems so underrated.

nutjobb wrote: »
    Switzerland for me. Have been there 3 times now, twice woth work and once on a road trip.

The scenery is out of this world, winter time you have the ski slopes, summer time you have beautiful mountain trails and activities, mountain biking, zip lining, tobogganing etc. Location is good you have access to most of Europe by car.

It is expensive there but maybe someone can confirm there is lenient tax requirements in certain areas, Zug for example?

Parents were there for a trip a few weeks ago, Zurich and Lucerne etc. said it was astronomically expensive for everything, more than most other places they’d been in Europe, plus hotel price. But absolutely loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Das Reich wrote: »

Great places to retire to, but finding work would be tough I imagine.

What about the Netherlands/Belgium/Luxembourg? Good economies, nice people, great infrastructure and not too far away to fly home. The language barrier might be a problem but they would be top of my list if I was moving abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

West Coast of the South Island in New Zealand. I absolutely loved how sparsely populated it is, the scenery, the people. I even love the climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Rawr

I emigrated to Norway in my 20s. It was a good move and I tend to recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind going to a place that doesn't have that many Irish people to being with.

You can get away with English for quite a lot of things, but for the best quality of life and job prospects you need to learn the language. I can imagine both Sweden & Denmark to be pretty similar in this respect.

Quality of life is very good and taking time off is baked into the culture. There is no question of you actually taking your holidays which most of country has a knack of doing at the same time.

Norway is an interesting blend of highly developed towns and cities nestled within swaths of wild nature and extreme geography. If you don't mind the cold and the incredibly high prices (pay tends to be better than in Ireland), it's a good move.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

EB_2013 wrote: »
    Great places to retire to, but finding work would be tough I imagine.

What about the Netherlands/Belgium/Luxembourg? Good economies, nice people, great infrastructure and not too far away to fly home. The language barrier might be a problem but they would be top of my list if I was moving abroad.

Yes, that's why I said it need money to invest in some business. Speaking about Benelux, I see no advantage compared to Ireland. Belgium some areas have 40% of muslim population. And ugly seaside and lanscape. Ireland beat benelux any time.

Yeah agreed on that one, sorry to tar it all with the same brush but I have found holland incredibly dull and boring any time I've been, although I've only visited groningen, amsterdam and utrecht. Was in Brussels once and it was the worst weekend break I've ever had.

Ireland is way more beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ngunners

NZ/ Transylvania probably the latter, spent lot of time there, planned to live full time during the early 90s but life and divorce changed that

Why Transylvania if you don’t mind me asking? Seems an unusual choice?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Portugal is supposed to be brilliant. I've been to the Algarve several times (got married there) and really loved it. Never been to Lisbon but everyone raves about it. Great weather and quality of life, English is widely spoken, low tax for expats.

Zascar wrote: »
    Portugal is supposed to be brilliant. I've been to the Algarve several times (got married there) and really loved it. Never been to Lisbon but everyone raves about it. Great weather and quality of life, English is widely spoken, low tax for expats.

Same as this, I found the Portuguese very friendly too, more friendly then Spanish for example. It's also only a 2 hour flight.

Would love to visit Algarve again, been a good few years. Not sure how it would be job wise though.

Is there any indication when Australia’s borders will
    open again?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

West Coast of the South Island in New Zealand. I absolutely loved how sparsely populated it is, the scenery, the people. I even love the climate.

Rains more than in Ireland

• Advertisement

EB_2013 wrote: »
    What about the Netherlands/Belgium/Luxembourg?

Way too flat. I had to visit a data center there one time and as my flight arrived at an odd time they sent a car for me. It was the most boring 2.5 hour drive ever. I still remember it and that was 30 years ago.
    Good economies, nice people, great infrastructure and not too far away to fly home. The language barrier might be a problem but they would be top of my list if I was moving abroad.

Ya the the people are nice and language is not that bad for me, once you’ve got your head around a Swiss German dialect you can understand a fair bit of most Germanic languages and there is always French.

Advertisement