Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ticknock or dalriada

Options
  • 15-06-2020 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi guys, I am thinking to buy a 4 bed house in either knocklyon or sandyford next year and want to get people's thoughts if you are familar with the areas, in particular we are looking at Dalriada or Ticknock. Ticknock might be worse with traffic as from google street view I can see it's a big development with houses and apts. Both are close to M50 so noise level should be samilar and both around same price range, 450k or bit less for 4bed semi.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I can't speak for Ticknock but traffic around Dalriada is chronic (or will be again, once schools and workplaces open back up).

If you've to get to the M50 then you need to be able to do it either early or late because getting down the Ballycullen Road to Colmcille's Way can take up to 25 minutes at peak times. Heading across Stocking Ave/Lane towards Rathfarnham isn't much better.

Other than that, local amenities are limited - 's not particularly well-served in terms of pubs, restaurants etc. within walking distance but the bus service is good and you have the Dublin mountains and the Dodder linear park pretty much on your doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭frank730

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I can't speak for Ticknock but traffic around Dalriada is chronic (or will be again, once schools and workplaces open back up).

If you've to get to the M50 then you need to be able to do it either early or late because getting down the Ballycullen Road to Colmcille's Way can take up to 25 minutes at peak times. Heading across Stocking Ave/Lane towards Rathfarnham isn't much better.

Other than that, local amenities are limited - 's not particularly well-served in terms of pubs, restaurants etc. within walking distance but the bus service is good and you have the Dublin mountains and the Dodder linear park pretty much on your doorstep.
    thanks for the info, thats good advice on traffic, what about safety and local schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Dial Hard wrote: »

This is all spot on. In fact traffic will get worse as they are building more and more houses up there. There is talk of a commercial center being built near Dalriada in White Pines South but haven't heard much about it, will probably just be some convenience stores/services like in the Woodstown 'shopping center'. The lidl is quite handy though. There is also talk of a school being built but I think that still a good bit away. Altogether not a bad place to live imo if you can deal with the chronic traffic, especially in the mornings when school is on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Dalriada:

Daletree Place isn't a million miles away and is considered to be an issue by many locals. https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2718792,-6.3341856,3a,60y,190.95h,84.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOg0oopdS4RQo1JnuScx42A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

also currently a problem with laughing gas drug use that has resulted in a death of a teenager https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/boy-15-found-dead-ballycullen-22065145

The area around the Spar shop has an issue with teens hanging round and anti-social behaviour. The off licence there is entry by door bell only which I have always though a negative sign.

Traffic is dreadful as commented above and will get worse with the hundreds of new homes being built on the mountainside. It's a lot of money for an average location IMHO.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Dalriada:

Daletree Place isn't a million miles away and is considered to be an issue by many locals. https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2718792,-6.3341856,3a,60y,190.95h,84.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOg0oopdS4RQo1JnuScx42A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

also currently a problem with laughing gas drug use that has resulted in a death of a teenager https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/boy-15-found-dead-ballycullen-22065145

The area around the Spar shop has an issue with teens hanging round and anti-social behaviour. The off licence there is entry by door bell only which I have always though a negative sign.

Traffic is dreadful as commented above and will get worse with the hundreds of new homes being built on the mountainside. It's a lot of money for an average location IMHO.
    thanks for the advice, I see what you mean now from google street view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I live in Hunterswood, so closer to Daletree than Dalriada is and all I can tell you is that I've never seen or been the victim of any trouble from there, and I say that as a veteran leaver-open of car windows overnight.

There's definitely an issue with noise and litter at the site, but that won't be an issue for you in Dalriada.

Someone else'll have to come back to you on schools, I'm afraid, they're simply not on my radar as I don't have kids.

You get kids hanging around the Woodstown shops alright but I wouldn't consider it antisocial behaviour, I have to say, it's just kids from the local area congregating, same as they do pretty much anywhere. I've done a last-minute dash to the offie at night on my own on several occasions, nearly always on foot, and I've certainly never felt in the least bit intimidated.

It is weird about the offie buzzer system, though, I've always thought that.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

Bought in Dalriada few years back. I really like it. True, there isn’t much on the doorstep but everything is within 10 minutes drive. The estate itself is well kept, quiet with a lot of young families and owner occupiers.

I’m not aware of any issues from Daletree area. As earlier poster said Woodstown Spar does attract local teenagers but I also wouldn’t consider them anti-social. Facebook groups in Woodstown and Dalriada are very active and quick to react to any sign of a problem.

Traffic is heavy in the morning but depends on what time you are leaving. I don’t think it’s any worse than other residential areas. I think the new primary and secondary schools are approved but not started. Best of luck in your search.

P.S. I just go to O’Briens in Nutgrove, there’s no bell!

Thanks guys for all your advices, not sure I can post url here but if you check 11 Dalriada Court on myhomes, that's the type of property I am looking at, the price seems reasonable for a good sized 4bed semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

Looks like a great house. Best of luck

Advertisement