Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

22-09-2018, 12:00   #16
Toulouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKV View Post
Is that true though? I don't think it really matters? DNG, REA, Sherry, O'Brien, etc. etc. are all just a name on a sign to most people.

Nobody will buy a house based on who the agent is. Much like no one will avoid one based on who the agent is, either.

If a house comes up, that you're interested in, the name on the sign is the least of your concerns I'd imagine?
For me it is! I’m sale agreed on a property, exchanging next week but I’ve been looking a long time and am familiar with a lot of estate agents around here.

I’ve not looked at houses being handled by one agent in my locality as I know for a fact that he’s a liar, inflates house prices in the area and he’s an odious toad that I’d rather not deal with. If that means I miss out on a house then so be it, life is too short.

Then there’s another who made an absolute balls of a property she was handling and even though we were offered the property in the end and had already gone sale agreed elsewhere it wouldn’t put me off viewing a house she was showing. It would put me off selling a property with her and her agency though.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
22-09-2018, 21:46   #17
starbaby2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKV View Post
Is that true though? I don't think it really matters? DNG, REA, Sherry, O'Brien, etc. etc. are all just a name on a sign to most people.

Nobody will buy a house based on who the agent is. Much like no one will avoid one based on who the agent is, either.

If a house comes up, that you're interested in, the name on the sign is the least of your concerns I'd imagine?
When we were looking we refused to view any houses xxxxxx estate agents were selling. Awful trouble on a house we originally bid on so I think the poster has a point.
23-09-2018, 12:25   #18
joefuss1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juwwi View Post
Do you know what Flynn's in Swords charge as a matter of interest they seem to get a lot of the houses ?

Thanks
Think it's 1% but could be 1.25. not totally sure.
Thanks from:
27-09-2018, 21:13   #19
FixdePitchmark

An estate agent just quoted me 1.75 %

nuts ?
27-09-2018, 21:19   #20
blindside88

We’re looking at selling in Carlow, all the agents seem to be at 1.5%. We’ve gotten one down to 1.3% as we’re buying our new house through them
Advertisement
27-09-2018, 22:56   #21
caviardreams

I think it depends on the individual EA. As a buyer, several EAs didn't return my calls or follow up after bids, left me waiting etc. If I was the vendor I would not be happy with an EA treating potential buyers like that, it caused me to lose interest in the properties.

The guy I bought off was very responsive, always got back to me, there were some issues but he dealt with them very speedily, and kept me on board. If he had been slow at getting back to me and stringing me along I would have not been happy and possibly pulled out of buying.

As a seller, I would want an EA with good customer service to keep good buyers on-side, and also one who can spot and deal with weeding out a buyer who might half-heartedly go sale agreed but not be serious and be stringing me along as a vendor. Very much down to the individual EA rather than the "brand" as such imo.
28-09-2018, 09:48   #22
Loves_lorries
Banned

I've never had as much trouble with estate agents as I have solicitors, the amount of duds in that sector who can't conduct business properly is shocking.
(3) thanks from:
28-09-2018, 12:40   #23
blue note

I'm a buyer, not a seller. But from my experience you get the difference from person to person as opposed to company to company. There was only one individual I'd strongly advise against someone going with and he was with DNG. Sherry Fitz tended to be good, one woman in Flynn was excellent, Savills always seemed decent.

As someone else said, it is nice when you can get an estate agent who can tell the real offers from the people who are maybe just throwing in bids that they don't intend to follow up on. However, what you don't want is an estate agent more interested in a quick sale than getting you the best price for the house. I know of one sale where the buyers bid had been accepted, he was a couple of days late sending the initial deposit and when then when he paid it over the estate agent said the sellers had gone with someone else. Presumably the estate agent went back to the seller to say he wasn't a real bid or something and they went to the next bidder. The outcome of that was that he knocked on the sellers door, asked the sellers what the story was and they went back to the estate agent and told them they wanted to accept his bid (as they originally had done).

But looking at it from an estate agents point of view - they're interested in quick sales. Having to show a place repeatedly is no good for them. And even getting an extra 10 grand for a place isn't worth much to them, certainly not worth any extra work. Just bear that in mind when engaging with them and dealing with them. They work for you, but you're a commodity to them that they want as much money from as possible with as little work as possible.

One way of tackling this and I'm not sure if they do it in Ireland is increasing their commission past a certain point. So for example, if you expect your house to sell for €400k - give them 1% on the first €400k and 5% on everything after. That would actually encourage them to get the highest possible price for your house. A guy I know sold his place in Australia and that's the way commission worked there.
28-09-2018, 15:14   #24
FixdePitchmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside88 View Post
We’re looking at selling in Carlow, all the agents seem to be at 1.5%. We’ve gotten one down to 1.3% as we’re buying our new house through them
Guys when we are talking %

Do you add vat on to that

so 1% + Vat @ 23%
Advertisement
28-09-2018, 21:13   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixdePitchmark View Post

so 1% + Vat @ 23%
Yes
28-09-2018, 21:32   #26
blindside88

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixdePitchmark View Post

so 1% + Vat @ 23%
Yes sorry it’s plus vat so the rate I’ve been given is 1.3% plus vat
28-09-2018, 21:39   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside88 View Post
An agent will also look at the overall fee -

1% on an easy 400k sale in Dublin will be more attractive than 1.5% on a 200k sale in Carlow.

1.3% is quite good for rural towns
30-09-2018, 18:54   #28
FixdePitchmark

Guys anyone got on views on placing the house on the market price wise
Low End
Average
Top end

Pros and cons ?

Thanks for help so far
01-10-2018, 14:44   #29
Sleepy

Looking at the percentages it amazes me that there aren't more houses on Daft being "sold by owner"!

It'd kill me to pay someone the guts of 5k to take a few photos, stick up ads on Daft & MyHome, host a couple of open days and take a few phone calls. Seriously, is there even 10 hours work in that for an ordinary property in any area of normal to high demand?! €500 an hour? Nice money if you can get it!
01-10-2018, 22:54   #30
astrofool

A good salesman would easily be able to get 2% more for something than a bad salesman.

If you think you're a good salesman, then do it yourself, otherwise pay someone else to get more money for you.

With houses, one extra bidder will usually cover the EA costs, so you're betting on their ability to get that extra bidder in.
Thanks from:
Thread Closed