Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-05-2015, 10:17   #46
Connell research

Yes thanks, I have his own application and he is also mentioned in documents concerning all the men, he joined the Free State Army after his release from prison for several years, so I also managed to get his Irish service record, I have over 100 pages of info on a man we knew hardly anything about. I have a search going on now to try and find when he died.
Advertisement
05-05-2015, 11:38   #47
barleyfield

Did he continue using James`name or revert back to Simon? Perhaps went to America?
05-05-2015, 13:40   #48
Connell research

He always used the name Simon after that, I think it caused him that much hassle explaining why he signed up under his brothers name when claiming his pension, he wouldn't do it again! On the last pension records he was living in Manchester, I have also found that another ex ranger was living there and wondered if they were near each other. He was using a Manchester based solicitor to help him with the pension claim, however when the pension department tried to contact him in 1940 the solicitor stated he had left the district. After reading all his pension application details think he just thought, "stuff it, this is more hassle than its worth" and just disappeared into obscurity. I did try looking on emigration records with no luck, he was married to a Mary Flynn in 1924, but I cant find any children. The only good thing is the name Simon Connell is very uncommon, which does help.
I do think these brave men need some sort of remembrance service when its the hundredth anniversary of the mutiny. I'm sure I will have found him by then!!
05-05-2015, 15:26   #49
barleyfield

found a Simon Connell marriage in Finglas or St. Margaret, Dublin - 1st November, 1894. His father James Connell and mother Bigid Flood. Spouse is Margt Emmett. Spouse father is Peter Emmett, spouse mother is Jane Neille. Presume this is your Simon`s father`s marriage - but its bringing you back not forward!
05-05-2015, 17:52   #50
Connell research

Yes that's the one barleyfield, my Grandfather was Simon's older brother James, he died in 1923, he was in the Free State Air Corps.
Advertisement
02-11-2020, 21:01   #51
glencar 22

glencar22

hi there just a few lines about one of the rangers mutiny in india charles kerrigan who i should know well, when he got out of maidstone jail and made his way home to sligo ,, he then had the long walk to glencar leitrim about 9 miles ,, when he got near his home it was about 11 pm
and as he was walking up the rd he overtook a man on the rd, it was pitch dark and they said goodnight, when he realised it was his father who said to him is it thomas, who was another son
and charles brother, who was shot dead in the first world war in france,, his dad was coming from a rambling house as they did in those days, so the two of them went home and there was no party or anything like that maybe a mug of tea and a cut of bread ,,charles did not have a penny in his pocket, later one of his neighbors arranged to have a dance in his honor and they collected about £10 for charles..so there you are things were hard in ireland at that time
(4) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion