Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair - No flight change fee

Options
  • 10-08-2020 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if you were to avail of Ryanair's current "no flight change fee" for flights booked in August and September, can you carry over your baggage booking if you were to avail of changing your flight date, or would you lose out on those and have to re-book baggage again for the new date?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

Morby wrote: »
    Just wondering if you were to avail of Ryanair's current "no flight change fee" for flights booked in August and September, can you carry over your baggage booking if you were to avail of changing your flight date, or would you lose out on those and have to re-book baggage again for the new date?

Thanks!

I've changed my August flight to October and the priority, seats I've paid for and the luggage were moved to the new booking. There were no extra costs for the change except luggage. They added €15 each way per bag. When I questioned it via chat, Ryanair agent said that luggage I booked initially was at discounted price (it was cheaper than usual), so now that I'm changing the flight they are bringing the price to "normal". I went with that, as after all it was only €30 extra to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I just tried looking at changing my return flight to a few days later this week and I'm being charged the change fee in the app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Cork_Guest

We booked return flights from Dublin to Turkey last October. Now the DFA has Turkey, who’s current infection per capita is much lower than here, in the essential travel only category, we can’t go.
    No travel or VHI insurance cover so not worth the risk.
    Rang them there last week to say so what are our options, was told that the flights going so we’d better be on it! Literally!

I argued, saying so Ryanair’s policy is to advice citizens to travel to a country without any medical cover whatsoever and if falling sick etc were just to cover the no doubt 10’s of thousands in medical bills.
    No offer of vouchers or to move our flights to next year for free.only option is to suck it up or pay €1000 euros to move the 5 each way flights. Not that we can because they’ve not released next years yet....🀦*♂️

What boils my piss the most is they allow free movement of flights to people who’ve booked flights DURING pandemic, but not people who booked way before anyone even knew about Covid.

I work for a company in London and fly with a RyanAir every 2 weeks to go on-site, I think I’d rather swim over than give these langers another cent!!

Rant over, I thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Unfortunately you're choosing not to go even though Turkey is open for business, and that's seen as a change of mind. Unless the flights are cancelled (still a distinct possibility) or changed by more than 3 hours you're not entitled to anything.

I know the Government advises not to go but that's not the same as banning travel, it's only a recommendation.

Caranica wrote: »
    Unfortunately you're choosing not to go even though Turkey is open for business, and that's seen as a change of mind. Unless the flights are cancelled (still a distinct possibility) or changed by more than 3 hours you're not entitled to anything.

I know the Government advises not to go but that's not the same as banning travel, it's only a recommendation.

I understand all that, and as I said to RyanAir, I’ll buy your travel insurance if you cover Covid, which is they’re going to have the standpoint they have then they should cover it and away I’d go.

How is it my fault that insurance doesn’t cover the one thing that’s stopping us from going?

Would you put your family at risk with no insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Cork_Guest wrote: »
    I understand all that, and as I said to RyanAir, I’ll buy your travel insurance if you cover Covid, which is they’re going to have the standpoint they have then they should cover it and away I’d go.

How is it my fault that insurance doesn’t cover the one thing that’s stopping us from going?

Would you put your family at risk with no insurance?

If insurance covered covid, it would cost multiples of what the current price is.

Insurance is for "unforseen" issues. So you won't get flood insurance for a house in a flood area and you won't get insurance for covid until it's gone or a vaccine exists.

Turkey is open. You may go there. The only problem is that currently you have to restrict your movement when you come back.

You never know, it might be on a green list when you return

Darc19 wrote: »
    If insurance covered covid, it would cost multiples of what the current price is.

Insurance is for "unforseen" issues. So you won't get flood insurance for a house in a flood area and you won't get insurance for covid until it's gone or a vaccine exists.

Turkey is open. You may go there. The only problem is that currently you have to restrict your movement when you come back.

You never know, it might be on a green list when you return

You’re not listening. It’s not about the quarantine when I get back, it’s about the fact that due to the DFA deciding a country that has a far lower infection rate than here is essential travel only then the knock on means NO INSURANCE!

It’s about not putting my wife, brother and sister in law and most importantly my mother in law in harms way without any insurance to cover possibly 10’s or 100’s of thousands of euros in medical bills.

If I was going on with just my wife then we’d go but it isn’t just us.

We’re obviously not going to agree as you don’t seem to see the health risks I’ve mentioned a number of times now so thanks for your time and I’ll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

You’re not listening. It’s not about the quarantine when I get back, it’s about the fact that due to the DFA deciding a country that has a far lower infection rate than here is essential travel only then the knock on means NO INSURANCE!

It’s about not putting my wife, brother and sister in law and most importantly my mother in law in harms way without any insurance to cover possibly 10’s or 100’s of thousands of euros in medical bills.

If I was going on with just my wife then we’d go but it isn’t just us.

We’re obviously not going to agree as you don’t seem to see the health risks I’ve mentioned a number of times now so thanks for your time and I’ll leave it there.
    I get it fully, you just want an answer to suit your rant and no one is giving it to you.

You can get travel insurance. It will be valid for everything except Covid-19.

I'm going to Poland next week for meetings. They can't be held online as goods have to be inspected and facilities checked.

I've risk accessed where I'm going, I'm happy. Wife is coming with me and we can restrict our movement when we return.

We've travel insurance and it will cover us for everything other than anything covid related.

Sorry I can't give you the answer you so want someone to give you.

Darc19 wrote: »
    I get it fully, you just want an answer to suit your rant and no one is giving it to you.

You can get travel insurance. It will be valid for everything except Covid-19.

I'm going to Poland next week for meetings. They can't be held online as goods have to be inspected and facilities checked.

I've risk accessed where I'm going, I'm happy. Wife is coming with me and we can restrict our movement when we return.

We've travel insurance and it will cover us for everything other than anything covid related.

Sorry I can't give you the answer you so want someone to give you.

Oh here we go! I wasn’t asking for any answers, the OP asked X, I gave my experience of X.

My rant is valid, and I’m sure if you were in a similar position you wouldn’t just say ah well sure it’s grand cos that’s just how it is.

If you’re happy to put your family at risk then that’s your business, as I said, if it was me and the wife we’d go, but yet again, as you haven’t listened, I’ll say it again.....the brother, sister and mother in law were booked to come too!

Anyway, you and I aren’t going to agree, mainly because you’re so amazing and I’m clearly not because I booked a holiday well in advance and not during a global pandemic.

Just went back and checked, no requests for answers. But thanks for not giving me something I hadn’t asked for and then telling me it’s my fault. I’m sure a good psychiatrist would be able to put a label on that affliction for you!

Good luck.

We booked return flights from Dublin to Turkey last October. Now the DFA has Turkey, who’s current infection per capita is much lower than here, in the essential travel only category, we can’t go.
    No travel or VHI insurance cover so not worth the risk.
    Rang them there last week to say so what are our options, was told that the flights going so we’d better be on it! Literally!

I argued, saying so Ryanair’s policy is to advice citizens to travel to a country without any medical cover whatsoever and if falling sick etc were just to cover the no doubt 10’s of thousands in medical bills.
    No offer of vouchers or to move our flights to next year for free.only option is to suck it up or pay €1000 euros to move the 5 each way flights. Not that we can because they’ve not released next years yet....🀦*♂️

What boils my piss the most is they allow free movement of flights to people who’ve booked flights DURING pandemic, but not people who booked way before anyone even knew about Covid.

I work for a company in London and fly with a RyanAir every 2 weeks to go on-site, I think I’d rather swim over than give these langers another cent!!

Rant over, I thank you!

They were allowing movement of flights at the start but not now. I agree it's one sided by them.

I don't understand your major concern. If turkey is safer than Ireland for covid and your insurance will cover everything other than that, I believe turkey had very affordable medical costs compared to Ireland

• Advertisement

They were allowing movement of flights at the start but not now. I agree it's one sided by them.

I don't understand your major concern. If turkey is safer than Ireland for covid and your insurance will cover everything other than that, I believe turkey had very affordable medical costs compared to Ireland

It’s more or less the mother in law, if she were to catch it it’d likely do her in. As much as I sometimes think it, I wouldn’t want it! This was going to be her last holiday abroad really that’s why all the siblings were coming too so we could mind her.

We’d be in a villa for most of the daytime so the risk is low but tis a risk all the same.

Plus the sister in law hasn’t the best health.

All in all, shouldn’t have invited them.

It’s a bitter pill to swallow losing €1400 through no fault of our own, the voucher scheme would mean we’d have gone with them next year but now we’ll fly with someone else so at least they won’t be getting my hard earned twice!

PS - thanks for a decent reply, nice to have a normal QA rather than having to have an argument! *thumbsup*

It’s more or less the mother in law, if she were to catch it it’d likely do her in. As much as I sometimes think it, I wouldn’t want it! This was going to be her last holiday abroad really that’s why all the siblings were coming too so we could mind her.

We’d be in a villa for most of the daytime so the risk is low but tis a risk all the same.

Plus the sister in law hasn’t the best health.

All in all, shouldn’t have invited them.

It’s a bitter pill to swallow losing €1400 through no fault of our own, the voucher scheme would mean we’d have gone with them next year but now we’ll fly with someone else so at least they won’t be getting my hard earned twice!

PS - thanks for a decent reply, nice to have a normal QA rather than having to have an argument! *thumbsup*

It's a worry with older people but my basic point is you should weigh up the likelihood of getting it there as here.

I have traveled a few times, not turkey. The airport, cafes, plane, etc are all well cleaned and staffed. Most but not all passengers are wearing masks. Of course there will be those that don't cover their nose (aka idiots) or those that think they are being smart by carrying a bottle of water (aka Dick's) but you will meet them anywhere.

If you wull be staying in a villa, the chances are slim of catching it but if she does, I guess you will always wonder 'what if'

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Just tried to change my flight (departing on Sunday) and was charged the full whack again. Terms and conditions state that you must change within 7 days of your flight departure. There you go - win some, lose some.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

If covid wasn't around this would still happen.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

manster wrote: »
    Just tried to change my flight (departing on Sunday) and was charged the full whack again. Terms and conditions state that you must change within 7 days of your flight departure. There you go - win some, lose some.

Ryanair change the terms very often. Crafty feckers

Limpy wrote: »
    If covid wasn't around this would still happen.

Yes but in my case I’d have travel health and vhi medical insurance. Which as we won’t, I won’t have 10k a day to cover the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Hi I am thinking of booking flights to Budapest mid September. I was wondering if I decide not to go closer to time Due to cases rising etc can I change flight for free to a future date ?
    What happens if the future date is cheaper then the tickets I booked ? Do I get refund of difference?
    Also is it possible to change to a different destination?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

What happens if the future date is cheaper then the tickets I booked ? Do I get refund of difference?
    No. MOL is not that soft.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Anyone think they might extend the flight change fee exemption to October?

I had flights booked in January for March and when the covid restrictions set in, I rescheduled to October, but now Spain is not on the green list and not looking likely to be.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Hi I am thinking of booking flights to Budapest mid September. I was wondering if I decide not to go closer to time Due to cases rising etc can I change flight for free to a future date ?
    fees
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/ryanair-eurostar-bring-back-rebooking-fees-customers-caught/

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gary Owen

spurious wrote: »
    Anyone think they might extend the flight change fee exemption to October?

I had flights booked in January for March and when the covid restrictions set in, I rescheduled to October, but now Spain is not on the green list and not looking likely to be.

I’m iexactly in the same boat . Due to fly 9 October for 3 weeks but doesn’t look too good at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marieky21

Hello,

I initially booked flight for March 14th and changed flights to September. I made the original booking in Jan 2020. I have tried to change September flights to Barcelona but unfortunately I have to pay the change fee as the flights are still scheduled.

Any suggestions or workarounds?

Many thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

Hey, If you book the flight now for September, you can change it for free as long as it's not within 7 days of a travel date.
    Not sure if you get the refund if the future date is cheaper than the originally booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Hungary has banned entry unless you are Hungarian

Advertisement