Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greece this summer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

MattS1 wrote: »
    Interested in Athens and Santorini in August. Is there anything I need to comply with? :)

Suncream and don't stay in Oia... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

xvril wrote: »
    Travelling to Greece on Monday all being well. Looking forward to it.

Best of luck and have a great time. Would be interested to hear your experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Interested in Athens and Santorini in August. Is there anything I need to comply with? :)

August is hot for Athens! Santorini is fantastic, if you go I recommmend Metaxi Mas restaurant, it's one of the best I've ever been to (book in advance)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭xvril

So a little update...

Masks are required on public transport so bring a few.

You fill out a questionaire before you go which has a QR code which the police will scan when arriving. This will determine whether you are tested at the airport or not.

The random tests didnt seem to random as it seemed to target people coming from cities. Most the accents of those queuing for tests were Dublin accents. We didnt get tested.

If you are tested you are expected to self isolate for 1 day in your hotel/address u provide so its no big deal really.

They are cautious which is good but everything is open. A bit quiet but thats nice in a way.

I am in Pefkochori in Halkidiki, Halkidiki is yet to have any reported cases of covid.

This area is amazing I would really recommend it.

I am currently drinking a Pina Colada sitting by a pool so life is good...

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

F.**k me..............ryanair just re-scheduled flights from luton..rather than 6.3am flights, its now 8pm....

• Advertisement

Very disappointed but we've had to change our flights to next summer. My husband was told he has to self isolate for 2 weeks regardless of any green list. He just can't.
    Ryanair charged 250 to change flights to Chania which I thought was a bit much but what can you do!

Very disappointed but we've had to change our flights to next summer. My husband was told he has to self isolate for 2 weeks regardless of any green list. He just can't.
    Ryanair charged 250 to change flights to Chania which I thought was a bit much but what can you do!

That's awful, I guess this was mandated by his employer? Very harsh, I wonder if these rulings have any basis in law, is he in a unionised job?

I wouldn't change the flights and pay €250, probably cheaper just to rebook... A one way flight to Dublin from Chania is like €40 next month.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    That's awful, I guess this was mandated by his employer? Very harsh, I wonder if these rulings have any basis in law, is he in a unionised job?

I wouldn't change the flights and pay €250, probably cheaper just to rebook... A one way flight to Dublin from Chania is like €40 next month.

He works in healthcare, initially they said if country is on green list then no problem but they changed that. Completely understand when he works in that area but man he could have done with a break!
    You have a point, I didn't think about rebooking, I'll look now, it probably is cheaper!

He works in healthcare, initially they said if country is on green list then no problem but they changed that. Completely understand when he works in that area but man he could have done with a break!
    You have a point, I didn't think about rebooking, I'll look now, it probably is cheaper!

Yea, terrible they don't allow people to take their hols, Greece has a much much lower number of cases than Ireland.

Defo! The change fees are higher than rebooking, not worth it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Thinking of doing Greece at the end of August for the first time. Flights to Chania seem half the price of those to Athens but I'd like to see the sights in Athens as well as visit Santorini. Is there a lot of see in Athens? Any advice welcome!

• Advertisement

Thinking of doing Greece at the end of August for the first time. Flights to Chania seem half the price of those to Athens but I'd like to see the sights in Athens as well as visit Santorini. Is there a lot of see in Athens? Any advice welcome!

End of August or thereabouts is usually when the locals go on hols before schools go back, however with Covid things could have changed.

If you're going to Crete first then you're getting a flight back to Athens?

For Athens if you're a reasonably fast walker you can see the Acropolis and Museum in 1 day once you start early.
    Stay near the Monastiraki metro station, loads of nice little restaurants in the area. And loads of historical sites, once you see the Acropolis you'll be happy, though you'd really need a week to see it all.

The catch your flight to Oia, stay in the Kamari area.
    Then you can catch your flight back to Athens and Dublin after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

End of August or thereabouts is usually when the locals go on hols before schools go back, however with Covid things could have changed.

For Athens if you're a reasonably fast walker you can see the Acropolis and Museum in 1 day once you start early.
    Stay near the Monastiraki metro station, loads of nice little restaurants in the area. And loads of historical sites, once you see the Acropolis you'll be happy, though you'd really need a week to see it all.

Agree with this. Buy the 5 day pass on the subway (might have gone up since last there last year 9euro) Athens is a fine walking city but August it will be HOT. The usual tourist sites are fine, but ambling around the city will bring up some hidden gems. Monastiraki has lots of cafes/bars/etc and to be honest off the beaten track in the area between Keramikos and Monastiraki there are many many lovely places cheaper and better food. Plaka is the preserved part of the city and a great place for a stroll. Walk from the Acropolis around to Plaka (see the museum) but also walk the ring around the hill completely. Some great places to stop and just take your time.

Be careful in some parts of the city (not being smart but lots of pickpockets in Athens and most of them not Greek)

For the Old school place to be seen and to see, Thenasis at the bottom of Mitropoleos Street is a tourist and local hotspot for the usual Greek Giros.... not my favourite place, but a great place to people watch. Starbucks is just beside it....;)

Have fun mostly....Greeks can be pushy and lines dont exist...FYI... its every man/woman for themselves... They also sound like they are shouting at each other constantly...;)

I think we were looking at flying directly to Athens and then traveling to Santorini? Would that make sense. Would it be better to save money and fly to Chania instead of Athens? Not sure how easy it is to get around all the islands...

I think we were looking at flying directly to Athens and then traveling to Santorini? Would that make sense. Would it be better to save money and fly to Chania instead of Athens? Not sure how easy it is to get around all the islands...

Is it a significant saving?

You could fly into Chania, do a couple of days there, the ferry from Heraklion to Oia takes around 5 or 6 hours. The bus from Chania to Heraklion takes around 2.5 hours.
    Or you have to fly to Athens, then to Oia, and obviously then back to Athens.

I'd probably fly into Athens, do 2 maybe 3 days at most in Athens, flight to Oia, 3 days there, Ferry to Crete, 3 days there, and flight back to Dublin from Chania.

Is it a significant saving?

You could fly into Chania, do a couple of days there, the ferry from Heraklion to Oia takes around 5 or 6 hours. The bus from Chania to Heraklion takes around 2.5 hours.
    Or you have to fly to Athens, then to Oia, and obviously then back to Athens.

I'd probably fly into Athens, do 2 maybe 3 days at most in Athens, flight to Oia, 3 days there, Ferry to Crete, 3 days there, and flight back to Dublin from Chania.

Not a bad idea. Id rather not be getting a load of ferry's and have to travel a lot. I'd probably do maybe 2 places most. Where would you recommend? Looking for somewhere chilled out but can also spend a few days sight seeing.

Not a bad idea. Id rather not be getting a load of ferry's and have to travel a lot. I'd probably do maybe 2 places most. Where would you recommend? Looking for somewhere chilled out but can also spend a few days sight seeing.

Loads to see in Crete if you're flying into Chania, it's the biggest of the Greek islands so by far the most places to go see from historical monuments to Beaches, lagoons, harbours... whatever you'd like, it has sights and chill.

Santorini is definitely worth seeing, though once you've see the main town there's not a whole bunch else as it's a very small island.

Anywhere from Crete is usually 5 hours by ferry or a flight back to Athens and then to another Island, and with the whole Covid thing i'd prefer not to go through Athens more than I had to.

Back home again now, wish I had of had two weeks booked beforehand. Two weeks self-isolating to enjoy now, definitely worth it.

If you have never been go to Pefkochori in Halkidiki. You can get there by public transport if you fly to Thessaloniki. I don't think too many Irish people go there but I think its just because its a little less known.

Overall it was up there with one of the best holidays of my life, the greeks are very hospitable, the food is gorgeous and everything is very affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

xvril wrote: »
    Back home again now, wish I had of had two weeks booked beforehand. Two weeks self-isolating to enjoy now, definitely worth it.

If you have never been go to Pefkochori in Halkidiki. You can get there by public transport if you fly to Thessaloniki. I don't think too many Irish people go there but I think its just because its a little less known.

Overall it was up there with one of the best holidays of my life, the greeks are very hospitable, the food is gorgeous and everything is very affordable.

Sounds fab, we have been looking at Pefkohori, it looks beautiful. Halkidiki is definitely on the list. Can I ask, how long did the transfer from Thessaloniki airport take? Did you take a trip to Sithonia peninsular, by any chance? Best of luck with the self-isolating :)

RubyK wrote: »
    Sounds fab, we have been looking at Pefkohori, it looks beautiful. Halkidiki is definitely on the list. Can I ask, how long did the transfer from Thessaloniki airport take? Did you take a trip to Sithonia peninsular, by any chance? Best of luck with the self-isolating :)

You have to get bus 79A from the Airport to the Halkidiki bus station (KTEL) which took like 15 minutes. Then a bus from there to Pefkohori which took 1 hour 25 mins. It was scheduled to take 1 hour 35 minutes so probably was a lot quicker as it was quiet. There is a cafe at the bus station so we got some lunch there also.

We took a boat trip from Pefkohori which took us to two locations in Sithonia, one amazing hidden fishing port and a beautiful beach, it also took us to another location in Kassandra. It cost 25 euro, left at 9.30am, returned back at 6.15pm and included two meals, so great value.

There is another boat trip you can do, it might have better locations. We didn't look at it as we had the first boat trip booked before we seen the second. Both can be booked on the pier.

Would it be worth just doing the island of Chania for a week? Would there be enough to do, sights, watersports etc. Would it be very quiet or lively?

• Advertisement

Would it be worth just doing the island of Chania for a week? Would there be enough to do, sights, watersports etc. Would it be very quiet or lively?

** Chania is just a town, Crete is the Island.

Yes, loads I mean from Bai on the East side to Kissamos on the west side it's around a 5 hour drive.

Dozens of little beaches, ports, towns, Balos lagoon, the Samaria gorge, Heraklion old town and museums, the caves of Spathi mountain.... the list is huge...

Chania would be usually be quite lively, but would be much more calm now but still enjoyable.

Though a lot of Irish/UK people head to Stalis, Hersonissos or Malia for the resorts, with dozens of pubs and nightclubs, however most would be closed due to Covid now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Was it much quieter in Crete?

i havent been in around 17 years but potentially interested ion going back this year as i believe they've very low rates of covid-19

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

Hi guys

Looking at booking halkadiki... Never been... How its green...

Are they covid checking at the arrivals? I know its good they are doing it... But it's my only concern

Hoping to book tomorrow if feeling brave!

LilyShame wrote: »
    Hi guys

Looking at booking halkadiki... Never been... How its green...

Are they covid checking at the arrivals? I know its good they are doing it... But it's my only concern

Yes you will fill out a questionnaire online 48 hours before you go and you will get a QR code. You scan this when you arrive and based on this you may be sent for a random test. You then head onto your destination and if positive you will get a phone call the next day and probably have to isolate for two weeks. More than likely though you wont be positive and you will enjoy the rest of your holiday.

LilyShame wrote: »

In Greece now, straight off the plane and in the bar within the hour. Drinks are cold, weather is hot...

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mikekerry

anyone been to thessaloniki?
    there are direct flights
    would it be worth a vacation ( for nice beaches, rerstaurants etc) as a coastal resort

• Registered Users Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭josip

mikekerry wrote: »
    anyone been to thessaloniki?
    there are direct flights
    would it be worth a vacation ( for nice beaches, rerstaurants etc) as a coastal resort

I'm not so familiar with Thessaloniki, but having driven through it a few times, there are many nice residential parts that are interesting in their own Greek way.
    There are some ok beaches on the airport side of Thessaloniki as you head south, but for better beaches, it's the Sithonia and Kassandra peninsulas of Halkidiki you want.
    Our preference is Sithonia, there are approx 20 different towns with beaches dotted around the peninsula and a further 30 more remote beaches. Not many of these resorts are large scale though, unlike Kassandra. Beaches on Sithonia are by and large fantastic.
    Both Kassandra and Sithonia are on the same side of Thessaloniki as the airport and are an hour's drive to the start of the peninsulas.
    There are almost certainly buses from the airport, but not sure of the frequency/route.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mikekerry

josip wrote: »
    I'm not so familiar with Thessaloniki, but having driven through it a few times, there are many nice residential parts that are interesting in their own Greek way.
    There are some ok beaches on the airport side of Thessaloniki as you head south, but for better beaches, it's the Sithonia and Kassandra peninsulas of Halkidiki you want.
    Our preference is Sithonia, there are approx 20 different towns with beaches dotted around the peninsula and a further 30 more remote beaches. Not many of these resorts are large scale though, unlike Kassandra. Beaches on Sithonia are by and large fantastic.
    Both Kassandra and Sithonia are on the same side of Thessaloniki as the airport and are an hour's drive to the start of the peninsulas.
    There are almost certainly buses from the airport, but not sure of the frequency/route.

that's very helpful thanks

Ryanair just announced direct flights to Santorini from €29 one way... first time! Previously was a connection via Athens...

This is one of the bucketlist Greek islands, definitely worth a visit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Laurax96x75

Has anyone who's travelled to Greece recently from Ireland been tested on arrival? Trying to plan out our days and wondering how likely it is we'll have to isolate for the first day.

Advertisement