Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A big announcement is imminent...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I think people drifted to After Hours because they get censored harshly elsewhere. Will Current Affairs have similar Moderation to After Hours? If not it'll die off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I think people drifted to After Hours because they get censored harshly elsewhere.

And also because that's where whatever drum they're obsessively beating will reach the largest audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Does this mean we can't add puntastic and sarcastic comments to topical news events, since they'll be in their new home?
    I'm doomed!

Ditto my fellow punmaster extraordinaire...

And also because that's where whatever drum they're obsessively beating will reach the largest audience.

You think people post in After Hours to change minds and influence? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Great idea, right up there with the Politics Cafe!

• Advertisement

Well I wouldn't have moved the Boy A and Boy B discussion thread to the new forum so quick. It has massive interest and transcends any 'right' forum. The powers that be could have waited a few days. But sure look.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You can still post on it. The new forum doesn't have restricted access.

You think people post in After Hours to change minds and influence? :D

Don't laugh, but I think that's their intention.

They've influenced me anyway. I used to disapprove of the idea of punching fascists.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    You can still post on it. The new forum doesn't have restricted access.

I know but people can be strange when it comes to threads having a new home. It might have been an idea to move some less popular threads first and see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So After Hours is gonna be all fun and games now!?

That's gonna take ALOT of deleting and moving threads!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Well, good luck with this but I don’t think it’ll work. I’m happy to be proven wrong on that. We’ll see.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I know but people can be strange when it comes to threads having a new home. It might have been an idea to move some less popular threads first and see how that goes.
    Ah P, that would assume a bit of common sense and understanding of how groups operate especially on the web, but the very creation of this old wine(politics cafe) in a new bottle(current affairs) demonstrates, well...

No doubt it was moved on the principle that because it's so popular a thread it might drag people over to this new forum. Meh, it and others like it can stay there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

This is it .... They're going to force everyone to use the new ****e version of boards

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ah lads leave it the way it is.

Nobody uses these forums, the Cafe for instance is as dead as a doornail.

Keep AHs as the major hub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Can't be arsed reading through the thtead, so in one sentence wtf is going down?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Can't be arsed reading through the thtead, so in one sentence wtf is going down?

They're opening a new 'current affairs' forum.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ah P, that would assume a bit of common sense and understanding of how groups operate especially on the web, but the very creation of this old wine(politics cafe) in a new bottle(current affairs) demonstrates, well...

No doubt it was moved on the principle that because it's so popular a thread it might drag people over to this new forum. Meh, it and others like it can stay there.

Politics Cafe is members only. It stopped being politics lite when the hammer came down so much, well they introduced membership only admittance.
    Hopefully Current affairs is nothing like it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Politics Cafe is members only. It stopped being politics lite when the hammer came down so much, well they introduced membership only admittance.
    Hopefully Current affairs is nothing like it.
    Do you recall why that policy was introduced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Well I wouldn't have moved the Boy A and Boy B discussion thread to the new forum so quick. It has massive interest and transcends any 'right' forum. The powers that be could have waited a few days. But sure look.

Yeah, but no one was using the fancy new forum, so they had to strong arm people into it with the most popular thread currently on boards.

Do you recall why that policy was introduced?

I recall discussing it at great length with both Mods and CMods and disagreeing with the then proposed changes, what I predicted happened. Watch you don't get caught on a tumble weed next time you're in there saying "echo, echo......".
    It's where discussions go to die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Yeah, but no one was using the fancy new forum, so they had to strong arm people into it with the most popular thread currently on boards.

You mean the issue/affair that's most current in the country, yeah?

Ah lads leave it the way it is.

Nobody uses these forums, the Cafe for instance is as dead as a doornail.

Keep AHs as the major hub.

As long as 'Current Affairs' is a sub-forum of AH, and clearly marked as such, then AH remains the major hub.

I notice that a lot of good threads of a lighter nature tend to get knocked off the first page very quickly (and end up dying before they get a chance to run their course) because of the sheer volume of serious stuff. I think this could give AH a new lease of life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Facekicker is the new mod

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Not sure it's a good decision,
    AH is like a social barometer to all that's going on in Ireland... from the serious to the damn right stupid.

Some great discussion, wonderful puns and not forgetting Aongus VB occasional stories.
    So many magical ingredients make it a great melting pot.
    Take those out into a separate pan, and it just won't taste the same.
    AH is the sauce for a dry dinner we so desperately need!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Agree with the above. Never really a need for a Current Affairs forum, AH is for current affairs pretty much. I don't really get what the difference is supposed to be. What makes something suitable for CA that isn't suitable for AF and vice versa? There's a litany of threads in AH that could be deemed current affairs, will they all be moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Omackeral wrote: »
    Agree with the above. Never really a need for a Current Affairs forum, AH is for current affairs pretty much. I don't really get what the difference is supposed to be. What makes something suitable for CA that isn't suitable for AF and vice versa? There's a litany of threads in AH that could be deemed current affairs, will they all be moved?

Just as long as it's focused on the 1980's

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Omackeral wrote: »
    Agree with the above. Never really a need for a Current Affairs forum, AH is for current affairs pretty much. I don't really get what the difference is supposed to be.
    Because too many in the driving seat are still wedded to the notion that this is 2007 or whatever, when the site had hundreds of active forums many more contributors, near zero competition for those contributors and contributors who were used to staying on topic in the correct forum. That mindset sees After Hours as the light topics forum and subjects must be On Topic! ©2001 and can't seem to grasp that times change.

So rather than go with what the traffic of actual contributors actively moves into, no, let's try to force them into the "proper" forums. Which dilutes the contributors even further. Like those urban planners who insist on putting a fancy path across a green space when the worn out patch of well trodden ground somewhere else shows where people actually choose to walk.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Wibbs wrote: »
    Because too many in the driving seat are still wedded to the notion that this is 2007 or whatever, when the site had hundreds of active forums many more contributors, near zero competition for those contributors and contributors who were used to staying on topic in the correct forum. That mindset sees After Hours as the light topics forum and subjects must be On Topic! ©2001 and can't seem to grasp that times change.

So rather than go with what the traffic of actual contributors actively moves into, no, let's try to force them into the "proper" forums. Which dilutes the contributors even further. Like those urban planners who insist on putting a fancy path across a green space when the worn out patch of well trodden ground somewhere else shows where people actually choose to walk.

Very insightful, I can't help get the feeling that the brass are looking for the typed out version of The Late Late Show without realising that isn't the real world. It wasn't the real world then and it isn't now. When a very select few set out a format for a very select bandwidth of society to chat civilly about current topics.

The people who want to have a say about current events are probably aged from 12 to 90 and I would rather hear someones opinion on a subject where they give that opinion willingly and to hear what they actually have to say. AH is nice that way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

AH was becoming un moddable (is that a word?). This is a solution. Maybe not THE solution but A solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    AH was becoming un moddable (is that a word?). This is a solution. Maybe not THE solution but A solution.

Get better mods then or update the charter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement