Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monopoly, Ireland edition

Options
  • 27-02-2018 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Hypothetical (shurrrr)

200 grand, 25 years old, single, looking to the longterm.

Do you

A) buy 4 apartments in regional town in Ireland, rent them out at going rate, keep chugging away in Dublin in a rental yourself, slowly leveraging the passive income to buy more

or

B) Buy a decent apartment/crappy house in Dublin, maybe try to rent a room.

As far as I can tell, going by monopoly rules, its far better to have MANY small/cheap properties than a SINGLE expensive property?

Isnt this how the smart real estate investors got big, by leveraging (the smart ones didn't use 100%) one place against the other? Or in other words, they didn't start by buying a skyscraper, but instead lots of "undesirable" vacant/disused/unwanted property, and then worked their way up.

What would you do, thinking long term?

Many cheap, or single expensive 7 votes

Go cheap and keep hoarding!
    0% 0 votes
    Even a shed in Dublin would be best longterm!
    71% 5 votes
    Buy into an ponzi scheme selling refurbished condoms!
    28% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

refurbished condoms - not a popular choice imo :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭drillyeye

diomed wrote: »

My business partners have opened a purpose-built condom recycling facility in China, Wang-Poo province.

Simple enough, if youre lucky to be chosen as our latest development associate, you need only buy 1000 re-purposed Wang-Poo condoms for 30 pence (limited time offer).

You then resell 999 Wang-Poo condoms to the next promising entrepreneur for 40 pence, 5 pence of which gets redistributed between Wang-Poo's executive board. So you pocket 35 pence, which is 18% profit, and as is company policy the last Wang-Poo condom is covered in gold and mounted on your car, a symbol of financial virility and Wang-Poo Best-Practice!

The next hot-shot sells 998 Wang-Poo's for 45 pence........And so on.

The dream of Wang-Poo Enterprise is a world of Wang-Poo material distribution agents. Our financial forecasts estimate with 99% probability that every agent of Wang-Poo will be a trillionaire by 2021!!!!

Interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

But.. I don't live or work in Dublin...

biko wrote: »
    But.. I don't live or work in Dublin...

Are you, loike, from the 1980's, guy!?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

Go to the bookies and put it all on 0 on virtual roulette

• Advertisement

Conchurl wrote: »
    Go to the bookies and put it all on 0 on virtual roulette

Why would a physical building have virtual roulette?

Surely a punt on Wang-Poo technologies would be better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Wet the ground when you pass GO the first time around. When you pass it the second time pretend to slip and claim big on compo. Rinse and repeat as many times as necessary.

Noveight wrote: »
    Wet the ground when you pass GO the first time around. When you pass it the second time pretend to slip and claim big on compo. Rinse and repeat as many times as necessary.

But what if my feet have swollen from all that walking, thereby increasing the surface area of my flexible boots, thereby lowering my center of gravity, thereby reducing the authenticity of my theatrical bungle?

What then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Jeez, the standard of noob/reereg has dropped dramatically :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

OP, so you have 200k to spare? You would like to invest it?

My uncle is the King of Nigeria and he needs to transfer the sum of $190m to an Irish bank account. If we can use yours, he will allow you to keep $10m of it.

Please send on your banking details. After that, we may need some, or all, of your 200k to bribe the officials and pay the taxes and fees. You will get it back of course

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

You do neither you think outside the box and think smarter, I bought a building on a main st and it was rented out and turned into a chemist, it has been rented out for the last 15 years with 10 years remaining on the lease and it brings in more than any house or apartment and I don't have to deal with the crap that comes with it, just sit back and allow the tenants run their business and watch the profits come in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

If we're playing monopoly I want to be the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Hey! I just won 20 Euros for coming second in a beauty contest
    what are the chances eh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Jeez, the standard of noob/reereg has dropped dramatically

Do not pass Go, do not collect £200?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

diomed wrote: »
    Durex remoulds ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

In 1975, a banker from Dublin called John Mair won the World Monopoly Championship in Washington DC, the first non-American to do so, apparently by pretending to be drunk and getting his competitors to sell their properties at very low prices. It was only the third World Championship though, and the Americans haven't won it since then either.

(Should this be in the 'I bet you didn't know that' thread?)

Advertisement