Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goverment sending Anthrax cures

• 26-02-2018 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

I remember as a kid when there was packets to cure Anthrax, they were mailed out by the government thankfully.

I would just like to know who put forward this idea? which type of Government.

I'm asking because in 3rd world countries there is little to no pain medicine for people out in the middle of no where, and when they develop medicine for pain that has no psychoactive effects, they should really mail that out to people in the 3rd world countries.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

littlebee1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I remember as a kid when there was packets to cure Anthrax, they were mailed out by the government thankfully.

I'm asking because in 3rd world countries there is little to no pain medicine for people out in the middle of no where, and when they develop medicine for pain that has no psychoactive effects, they should really mail that out to people in the 3rd world countries.

Are you sure it's Anthrax you're thinking of? It's treated with simple antibiotics and the government never issued free antibiotics. Are you confusing it with the infamous iodine tablets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

That's the iodine ****e sent I think in either the early 00s or late 90s.
    Remember my parents receiving 2 packets of them and then they were buried at the back of drawer and found again in 2005.
    Wonder how much that cost the taxpayer.

bear1 wrote: »
    That's the iodine ****e sent I think in either the early 00s or late 90s.
    Remember my parents receiving 2 packets of them and then they were buried at the back of drawer and found again in 2005.
    Wonder how much that cost the taxpayer.

None came to our house but households seemed to receive the same number of tables regardless of how many people were there. And there were no instructions as to dosage or how to take them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭gifted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, that was a complete and utter joke tbh. After the WTC attacks, someone asked in the Dail if the Government had a plan if Sellafield was attacked.

"We have iodine tablets", was the response.

Of course, if there was to be a major nuclear disaster, a warehouse full of iodine tablets is no use, people need to take then immediately.

So they sent them out, in what is probably the most farcical, parochial and knee-jerk response to a Dail question in recent history. Every household got the same amount of tablets regardless of how many family members, with a relatively short shelf life and no follow up plan on what to do when they needed replacing.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Same as when Bertie asked the defence forces what was needed to protect Ireland from an attack and he was told a fleet of jet fighters.
    Feck all happened as well with that.
    Like the iodine tablets it wasn't a well thought out or executed plan.
    I see the premise of it but that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, that was a complete and utter joke tbh. After the WTC attacks, someone asked in the Dail if the Government had a plan if Sellafield was attacked.

"We have iodine tablets", was the response.

Of course, if there was to be a major nuclear disaster, a warehouse full of iodine tablets is no use, people need to take then immediately.

So they sent them out, in what is probably the most farcical, parochial and knee-jerk response to a Dail question in recent history. Every household got the same amount of tablets regardless of how many family members, with a relatively short shelf life and no follow up plan on what to do when they needed replacing.

They were sent out decades before the WTC attack. Something to do with Sellafield I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

kneemos wrote: »
    They were sent out decades before the WTC attack. Something to do with Sellafield I think.

Erm... https://www.irishtimes.com/news/households-to-be-posted-iodine-tablets-from-today-1.1060909?mode=amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I’m actually vaccinated against anthrax because I’ve worked with it. I think that’s really the only protection against it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I’m actually vaccinated against anthrax because I’ve worked with it. I think that’s really the only protection against it.

Antibiotics will deal with even pulmonary anthrax provided it is dealt with early enough i.e. before symptoms appear. Usually you'll know something has happened to you due to the amount of spores you need to ingest in order to contract it (inhaling a cloud of powder) and you have a few days to get treated before before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Odhinn

littlebee1 wrote: »
    Hi,

No idea. I would have presumed it far easier to shoot twink than issue the tablets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

There is no cure...

Advertisement